Home

Team Defense Must Improve in NBA 2K17

This is a discussion on Team Defense Must Improve in NBA 2K17 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Team Defense Must Improve in NBA 2K17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
That video was played on Pro Default difficulty, by the way.
I've seen gameplay on Hall of Fame where this was happening.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #10
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
This is the one gameplay aspect that I'm worried about and it's the team defense and defensive mechanics which were extremely broken last year.

If I set up my defense so I want them to play tight coverage on shooters and for them to NOT help defense and NOT leave their man, and when a pick happens and my teammates start leaving their man wide open for a 3 because they felt the need to come help me on a pick play, then it's a problem.

And this happened way too much last year to the point of where it got frustrating. There were a ton of videos on it, even Sam Pham discussed it alot.

I'm not saying that a bad defender with poor basketball IQ won't make mistakes, but this was happening on players like Kawhi and it shouldn't.

Hopefully it's fixed this year.
Yeah, again I think on some level the game just goes into certain "set" rotations when your on-ball defender is beat. So you can set your defense a certain way etc. but if you don't follow your own concepts of "icing" the pick and roll or whatever, then your other players still overreact to any penetration. I would tend to see the overreaction come from the weak side rather than the strong side when your defensive settings are setup, but yeah, still agree on the whole.

In addition, the Kawhi point is also fair to some degree. You feel a big difference when using Kawhi on the ball, but AI Kawhi away from the ball still gets beat backdoor on a cut you instigate just like everyone else when "limit perimeter shots" is the emphasis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
Great Post. I think the key is in the Individual defensive settings options. If 17 gives us a way to control what players we help off of, then i will be satisfied. We shouldn't have to faceguard/deny a guy to not help off of him. If we control who we help off of, then we control our own rotations. Thus, the help defense logic would be user and not AI dependent.

Settings like "Dont help" or "1 foot in the paint" would take defense to a whole new level. When someone runs an Iso with Harden and Capella is standing beyond the 3 point line wouldnt it be nice to have the big guarding Capella keep "1 foot in the paint." Or wouldnt it be nice to play moderate off ball pressure on Klay but "dont help" on the Curry/Green PNR.

Seems easier to make the rotations user controlled as opposed to making the cpu help defenders react a certain way.
I should also mention I come from a place where I don't play off-ball defense. I'm strictly an on-ball defender because I just think it's the most "sim" thing to do, especially in online games. You can mitigate some of these issues if you do play off ball or use the big man some of the time.

Yeah that would be really cool. Again, I think there's actually a decent base already in the game, you just can't access all the options until the game starts, which isn't ideal because the settings don't carryover game to game. Those options being available in the menus before games would be great. But when it comes to random online games, the settings you're talking about become far more important as there isn't a menu where you can set things once and forget them the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungGun
True that it happens a lot during transition, but just look at the way Draymond just slides out of the way so the CPU can get an open cut to the basket. This was a major problem in 2K16 and as we see might be a problem in this years game as well. This is inexcusable. Plus stuff like this only happens against the User's team.
Yeah this is the semi-transition issue to some extent as well. All five players get back, but Mozgov just trots down the floor and is able to cut right into the lane. Even then I don't mind the play because the pass is super soft, Draymond should just be able to get his hands on it but he doesn't move his body in a way where he can reach it. That being said, I do think this happens to the AI as well as I definitely get face cuts off on the AI when I have no right to.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

This article is 100% on point. The drum I've been beating for that last few years now is that a lot animations representing a moments indecision have to be added so that failure can play out in a more subtle fashion. Too many mistakes in sports games mirror what you would see with 8 year-olds, i.e. players wildly out of position, and not slight missteps that you would see with pros.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #12
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Really good stuff here, Chase.

Make the offense earn their points....simple.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
This is the one gameplay aspect that I'm worried about and it's the team defense and defensive mechanics which were extremely broken last year.

If I set up my defense so I want them to play tight coverage on shooters and for them to NOT help defense and NOT leave their man, and when a pick happens and my teammates start leaving their man wide open for a 3 because they felt the need to come help me on a pick play, then it's a problem.

And this happened way too much last year to the point of where it got frustrating. There were a ton of videos on it, even Sam Pham discussed it alot.

I'm not saying that a bad defender with poor basketball IQ won't make mistakes, but this was happening on players like Kawhi and it shouldn't.

Hopefully it's fixed this year.

Team defense, AI defense, simple defensive plays. I lost 90% of my games because of switching, leaving their man, canned double teams and or players just standing around.

Defenders seem to be watching more than they're playing. This needs to be a fixed especially for the good defensive teams.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:17 PM   #14
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
This article is 100% on point. The drum I've been beating for that last few years now is that a lot animations representing a moments indecision have to be added so that failure can play out in a more subtle fashion. Too many mistakes in sports games mirror what you would see with 8 year-olds, i.e. players wildly out of position, and not slight missteps that you would see with pros.
Thanks for the kind words jfsolo. I think an inability for players to slightly turn their hips after going one way or an ability to make subtle arm movements when out of place would help for sure. I think that first GIF that was posted in this thread (featuring Dray and Mozzy) sort of highlights that element.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Really good stuff here, Chase.

Make the offense earn their points....simple.
Thanks Kush, hope you bought your Ben Simmons jersey (he's top 10 in jersey sales already, woooooo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshunleon

Team defense, AI defense, simple defensive plays. I lost 90% of my games because of switching, leaving their man, canned double teams and or players just standing around.

Defenders seem to be watching more than they're playing. This needs to be a fixed especially for the good defensive teams.
Yeah I think a differentiation between teams on defense would be a really nice milestone. You see and feel differences in individual players (shot blockers vs. non shot blockers and all that), but suffocating defense doesn't feel as commonplace. However, I do think some teams rotate better and all that, and if you have really good on-ball defenders the other stuff takes care of itself much more. It's when the initial breakdowns occur that things go HAM no matter what team you use on some level.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 1

This can all be fixed if 2k added a Help Defense Attention" meter for every player in the Coaching section of the pause menu. So, like, if we're playing against Cleveland, we can set LeBron's Help Defense Attention to 100, so that everyone will be focused on bringing help defense when he drives, but we can set jr smith to like 50, so when he drives, help defense will come, but not as strong as when LeBron drives.

That's how it works in real life. As of now, our only option is to set help defense strength to the same value for everybody, so that the help on a jr smith drive will look the same as on a James drive.

Hell, to even add to that, if you set someone to 100, the defense should shade, tilt the court, whatever you wanna call it, toward that player when he gets the ball in position to make a play (i.e., at or inside the three-point line).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #16
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunky
This can all be fixed if 2k added a Help Defense Attention" meter for every player in the Coaching section of the pause menu. So, like, if we're playing against Cleveland, we can set LeBron's Help Defense Attention to 100, so that everyone will be focused on bringing help defense when he drives, but we can set jr smith to like 50, so when he drives, help defense will come, but not as strong as when LeBron drives.

That's how it works in real life. As of now, our only option is to set help defense strength to the same value for everybody, so that the help on a jr smith drive will look the same as on a James drive.

Hell, to even add to that, if you set someone to 100, the defense should shade, tilt the court, whatever you wanna call it, toward that player when he gets the ball in position to make a play (i.e., at or inside the three-point line).
110% agree. This would definitely work I think.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »