Home

Team Defense Must Improve in NBA 2K17

This is a discussion on Team Defense Must Improve in NBA 2K17 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2016, 10:52 PM   #25
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Team Defense Must Improve in NBA 2K17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
What is the ultimate solution to this? I've heard all of what is wrong with the defense but not many solutions from anyone. That is what concerns me

There is no one ultimate solution. He laid out a a list of things they could improve on in the article. I mean it is really too late at this point the game is done and will of course get some patches and things that they will tune after release.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2016, 11:37 PM   #26
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
There is no one ultimate solution. He laid out a a list of things they could improve on in the article. I mean it is really too late at this point the game is done and will of course get some patches and things that they will tune after release.
But we haven't even played the game to know if its still bad yet?
Old 09-05-2016, 11:52 PM   #27
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

Quote:
Yeah he is just saying what improvements need to be made to 2k17 based off playing 2k16. He hasn't played 17 yet.

Sent from tap, tap tappy using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2016, 01:07 AM   #28
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badasi12b
That IS NOT Kawhi! Lol!
Sorry friend, it is.

Quote:
The only think I know there is supposed to be new defense in this years game.

From the Mike Lowe 75 new features
  • New team schemes
  • Improved (new?) defensive AI
The question is what are the new schemes and how they improved the defensive AI. I only can see this get explained in a deep dive in a gameplay blog on the defensive side.

From the Mike Wang gameplay blog

Team schemes I can think of usually involve how to defend the pick and roll. They haven't added all the possibilities yet.
Yeah I mean it's not something that's been touched on a heavy amount so far, which is part of the reason I wanted to put it out there as a talking point in the interim. I don't think the game is miles away from being solid in this area. If the help defense alone is improved a lot would fall into place.

Quote:
What is the ultimate solution to this? I've heard all of what is wrong with the defense but not many solutions from anyone. That is what concerns me
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah he is just saying what improvements need to be made to 2k17 based off playing 2k16. He hasn't played 17 yet.

Sent from tap, tap tappy using Tapatalk
I mean I threw out a couple things that I think need to be improved, and to sort of touch on what I did above, I don't think the game is like "scary" messed up in this area. The point of attack on the pick and roll and the initial rotations the defense makes once the on-ball defender is beat is the top thing for me. Random lapses in judgment and all that are sort of another issue in that it's not tied to any one moment in the game, it's more people sometimes get frustrated when players simply don't guard players at certain times (ex. off the tip in many games it's easy to get a layup under the hoop, or off a missed free throw it's very easy to catch the defense napping rather than getting back).
Old 09-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #29
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
This is really my biggest issue with the series. You get really immersed in a close game, only to have your defenders completely blow it at the most inopportune times. I like to play on ball D, but when you do that you basically leave yourself vulnerable to back door cuts and wide open jumpers, because the AI struggles to react. I feel like the Pick and Roll game is negatively impacted as well, because the AI doesn't always switch correctly, and I feel like I don't know who to guard because I don't know who they're going to guard once the pick is set.

It's a great series, it really is, but things like this can drive you crazy.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #30
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6

I really want to see more WEAKSIDE help and less strongside help. That also means the weakside defender helping has to get help. And that player helping him has to get help. Everyone is on a string. I also want def iq/awareness and strategy to play a very big role as well.

In Pro Am/All star team up as a user you can recover from helping one pass away too easily. Seems like 2K worked on that a but with pass speed.

But also 2K has never allowed you to defend passing lanes well. You can run high PNR, force it to the roll man with no problem, which then gets the ball to the middle of the floor, and opens up every pass and hurts good weak side help. So even if the big is guarded well, he can hit the shooter in the opposite corner.

XBLGT: tjor24
Old 09-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #31
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderphantom
You can run high PNR, force it to the roll man with no problem, which then gets the ball to the middle of the floor, and opens up every pass and hurts good weak side help. So even if the big is guarded well, he can hit the shooter in the opposite corner.
I don't think this was mentioned but I think part of the problem was how easy it was to hit the roll man. I have a feeling with all these new bumping animations and off ball controls and better physics it should make it harder. Part of making team defense better is making it so passing isn't so easy.

It will be really nice to get realistic more realistic open jumpers because the defense chose to stop the roll man but the pick was good enough and the dribble pull up quick enough etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 0
Yeah great post. The transition defense is also still lacking. especially with the center. They never seem to pick up their man and the CPU gets a easy bucket at least 5 times a game. Da Czar has tons of info on offense, but Scott OG doesn't put any content explaining how some of the defensive functions really work. Which is frustrating becasue there's no content. He claims to have put in all this great stuff (which it seems to be) , but we need to how it functions. For example how many adjustments can be made before things stop working or don't work? They AI constantly puts your defenders out of position (the video above), just so the computer can score. On the flip side the AI is never out of position or they magically slide in front of you.

There definitely should be more animations for driving to the basketball. Showcasing the defense giving ground but still playing defense and But of course that's not happening this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »