Home

What is the "Meta-Game" - Nice little informative read...

This is a discussion on What is the "Meta-Game" - Nice little informative read... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2016, 05:41 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
What is the "Meta-Game" - Nice little informative read...

The highest level of strategy in many complex games, metagame refers to any aspect of strategy that involves thinking about what your opponent is thinking you are thinking.

Metagame comes into play in any game where no single strategy is dominant and opposing sides are aware of multiple strategies that can succeed dependent upon opponents' actions. In order to perform at the highest level, it then becomes necessary to think about what your opponent thinks you will do (which may depend on what he thinks you think he thinks he will do, etc.) and to make decisions based on clues regarding what level they are thinking on.

This term is most commonly used to refer to poker and other complex card games, but is increasingly being used in relation to video games with complicated player vs player elements and even traditional sports.
Normally I would raise the flop with this hand as a semi-bluff, but I've been so aggressive lately that taking metagame into consideration I think he will go all-in with any pair, so instead I'm going to fold.

This guy thinks that I'm going to zergling rush which means he will waste resources defending early. Instead I am going to focus on resource development for mid game, and metagame will win me this match.
#poker #meta #strategy #level #meta-game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2016, 06:03 AM   #2
MVP

Trackball's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: What is the "Meta-Game" - Nice little informative read...

I got introduced to the term "metagame" through Pokémon, so I know what it entails, but thank you for the post.

I also play poker. It's all about psychology. Think a scouting report: You know a player will do X in situation Y more times than not, so you play to those odds until he gets wise to it, at which point another level opens up.

It's basically players making their own additional fun. The more a game can do that, the better.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:07 AM   #3
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

So...you like the Bucks' court?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
I got introduced to the term "metagame" through Pokémon, so I know what it entails, but thank you for the post.

I also play poker. It's all about psychology. Think a scouting report: You know a player will do X in situation Y more times than not, so you play to those odds until he gets wise to it, at which point another level opens up.

It's basically players making their own additional fun. The more a game can do that, the better.
Yes NBA 2k17 will have a healthy, exciting and vibrant "meta-game"
I know about it from past MMORPGS I've played...

Meta Game is kinda slang for (the most effective build or strategy that everyone is doing in a game right now)
To be truly healthy there shouldn't be ONE strategy or build but instead MANY.

MMORPGS and games with PVP (Sports Games count too...) are always in a flux about this.

Oh I'll do this to you and bam, what if you do this, oh but now this special ability is activated and so on and so on.

Many don't know so I'd thought I share, better helps you understand the Devs & not think what the hell 2k!?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

This the fun part of playing vs. A human.

That is why I say you sub 75% On Ball Defense Frequency dudes are suckas
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »