Home

The Art Team Really Tanked This Year.

This is a discussion on The Art Team Really Tanked This Year. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #17
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: The Art Team Really Tanked This Year.

No one has mentioned it in any of the shots posted so far this year, and I dont know what build The Prelude is from...but is something off about the player eyes?
Old 09-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 1

In general body types are improved. They really just need to add a slider for body parts and them muscle definition.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #19
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Live and animations? Yeah....
Old 09-10-2016, 05:39 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 11

cp3 is no bigger than irving, why do they have him as goldberg?

Old 09-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 1

I disagree about the lighting being worse. It's significantly better than in 2K16 and the example you provided is a created practice court that doesn't nearly show off how good the lighting can actually look with real NBA players.

I had the same initial reaction as you but by the time the Team USA game rolled around I was very impressed. And it only gets better as we see actual areas in the release which from screenshots I can tell are already much more accurate to real life lighting and colors.

Quote:
Before in 2k17 I didn't care about bodytypes at all, but this year they completely tanked with the body types. They changed body types they didn't need to change, and the changed most of them into half assed versions of the high school body. The used all of the same awful body types for most players, and I don't want to ever call the people who make 2k lazy, because they work on a schedule and most of the time they don't even have control on what they put into the game really, but I really don't know what to call this other then laziness.
You however COMPLETELY nailed the body models being terrible-- especially about the part where you didn't really care as much as others before but can't help notice how BAD many of the changes are. I feel the same way and never made a huge issue out of the body type inaccuracies-- but this year, the lack of body types AND the complete absence of muscle tone on the "thin" body is... well, a visual travesty for a next-gen game and 2K game, even for me.

I can't see any actual improvement over last year, and whatever work was done just made existing bodies that looked fine much worse. I can't understand why that artistic decision was made or what the vision or goal was. I almost have to think that some setting for thinness of the skinny player model and the strength of the normal maps were turned down on accident and the game shipped anyway. Durant, Curry, and most of the bodies in the Prelude look like poor character art from a last gen game. Not from 2K ESPECIALLY when you look at how players have looked from 2K14 to 2K16.

I have to almost think it was a bug. It's really that bad.

It's just very difficult for me to understand what the character artists were trying to go for with a year's amount of work and with the existing graphics in 2K16 being pretty decent.

Last edited by Sundown; 09-10-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #22
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Exactly how I feel Sundown..
Old 09-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 11

could this be a strategy to sell next year's game? it's too obvious otherwise.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 0

I thought it was ugly at first but it grew on me. Honestly I think lighting is hard to judge unless it's NBA arenas. But so far I think it's a little better than '16.

Only thing I really agree on is the body types looking awkward. Aside from that I have to say I really don't agree with anything you've said.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that so I guess it's just about preference.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »