Home

strength affects driving?

This is a discussion on strength affects driving? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #9
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30
Re: strength affects driving?

There are actually a couple systems at play. Blowbys based on collision angle and blowby branches. But yes, you're right. High ball control rating vs low onball def. will also allow blowbys to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #10
Rookie

PatsCards87's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Speed is obviously a huge factor as well. Think of it like this... Speed is what lets the quick guys blow by slower guys if they can get the right driving angle, but if the ball handler tries to truck through the defender, the strength delta will determine the outcome of the collision.

Thanks for this, Beluba! I've been contemplating the cost/benefits of high/low strength.

I have one question I really would love answered. I see this year you have Contact Dunk packages. I'm wondering why those are purchased based on your driving dunk skill instead of your contact dunk skill?

If you made a player that doesn't meet the 82 required driving dunk to purchase these new packages, does that mean you won't have any beast mode YAMs on the park this year? This is a make or break decision for me on my build. I NEED to get my YAMs!

If I can still get big contact dunks without these packages, I might be ok.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #11
Rookie

Thumbs up Re: strength affects driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
There are actually a couple systems at play. Blowbys based on collision angle and blowby branches. But yes, you're right. High ball control rating vs low onball def. will also allow blowbys to happen.

Thanks. Could you clarify whether speed with ball is important as well? I'd like to make a slashing pg, but a playmaking pg has a better speed with ball-rating, which makes me doubt my Prelude slashing archetype..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2016, 02:25 PM   #12
Rookie

Hey Mike thanks for stopping by. My question is this. I'm one of the few folks on here who believe making a defensive player has his rewards as well. If based off of what I see over at
Www.nba2kmyplayer.com if I make an iguodala/Tony Allen type of pg/Sg at around 6'4-6'6
Will his strength counter slashers, athletic bigs and speedy playmaker cutting them off to the rack and putting them in bad animations? All I want is consistent defensive stops and my main attribute im look at is strength.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakstarter
Hey Mike thanks for stopping by. My question is this. I'm one of the few folks on here who believe making a defensive player has his rewards as well. If based off of what I see over at
Www.nba2kmyplayer.com if I make an iguodala/Tony Allen type of pg/Sg at around 6'4-6'6
Will his strength counter slashers, athletic bigs and speedy playmaker cutting them off to the rack and putting them in bad animations? All I want is consistent defensive stops and my main attribute im look at is strength.
Was about to ask this myself - thanks for asking ahead and thanks to Mike for being such a dedicated guy to come in and answer questions unannounced.

Sent from my SKY 5.0W using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #14
MVP

This is the way I've thought about it:

Acceleration/Ball Handling/Speed would come into play, along with dribble moves/stick skills to get an open lane to "blow by" someone. In the situation of getting a lane to go past someone, strength doesn't come into play.

But whenever there is a collision animation, as Beluba notes, then Strength will come into play. I.e. if you have a very strong defender and a very weak ballhandler tries to, basically, ram into him, what can happen is that animation where the ballhandler quite literally bounces off the defender, and is stunned.

Conversely, if a strong ballhandler sort of, but not quite, gets a lane on a defender who is weaker, then he might be more likely to get that animation that is a collision, but then gives way to the ballhandler "rounding the corner" on the defender and then getting a clear path to the basket.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #15
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Teague and Schroder were night and day in 16. Teague could drive and dennis no haps, bc of strength difference. Based off of Beluba's comments we can now penetrate with low strength guys. Especially vs. Slow strong guys.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #16
Pro

Ragnar53's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
Teague and Schroder were night and day in 16. Teague could drive and dennis no haps, bc of strength difference. Based off of Beluba's comments we can now penetrate with low strength guys. Especially vs. Slow strong guys.
Ah yes. The days of Kent Bazemore being more effective at driving than the blazing fast Dennis Schroder.

I'm not going to miss that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »