Home

NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread

Just getting used to the game using the rookie difficulty MyTeam challenges. Got addicted to MLB's Diamond Dynasty HARD this summer but the contracts stuff will probably keep me off MyTeam long term. That said...

LOVE the feel of the game. Far looser and players feel way more unique. Curry was my free agent card and he's a blast on rookie, plays just like the cheat code you'd expect on offense AND defense.

Also, and this is kind of weird, but I keep having flashbacks to NBA Street. Is it just me or do the jerseys look VERY different this year? They have this glossy plasticity that maybe cuts down on the realism but actually has a very appealing look to it, and the sweat on the players has that same feel. Like I said it reminds me of the slightly cartoony appearance players had on Street and personally I appreciate that!
Old 09-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #18
Rookie

yungmeaks's Arena

OVR: 2

A let down so far. This game doesn't feel fluid at all.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #19
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungmeaks
A let down so far. This game doesn't feel fluid at all.
You don't have the game, do you? This is as fluid a sports game as there has ever been.

Last edited by tsbmolina; 09-16-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #20
Rookie

yungmeaks's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
You don't have the game, do you? This as fluid a sports game as there has ever been.
I do. Maybe I'm overreacting right now and am too suck in 2k16, but it just doesn't feel as responsive to me. So many weird random bumps that make me feel like I have less control over things. Playcalling doesn't feel as fluid. Substitutions are aesthetically over-complicated for no reason. Small things that turn me off. I'll get used to them as I always do every year, but so far...... meh

Edit: also still doing the thing where passes dont go to who i direct them to. lmfao seriously 2k...

Last edited by yungmeaks; 09-16-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 0

WOW this game is good. I went straight into mycareer and I'll give my impressions in the form of pros and cons for you myplayer (online and offline guys).

Pros:

-The first thing I did was equip the animations I wanted and shot around on my MyCourt. The game was like the prelude in that it was ultra-responsive unlike anything I have ever seen in a 2K game. The game followed my every exact input.

- The clothes I looked at are fresh and more diverse. There was so much more stuff to look at and equip that I eventually will when I get the vc (pro-am rituals, celebrations, etc.)

- The dynamic duo story line actually caught my eye more than last years story, and on this 2K you can do everything you want in an off-day if you want to put in the work.

GAMEPLAY

-My first game is where I got blown away. The lighting is so much better, and the crowd felt so alive that it was unreal.

- The responsiveness transferred to the actual game. The defense is A1, I now feel like if I know exactly where a pass is going, than I will intercept it and I now have a whole slew of off-ball animations at my disposal.

- The CPU AI is much improved. My teammates actually spreaded the floor and didn't settle for dumb shots like last year, and our defense rotated properly. Beating the defense this year feels real. It was simply reading your defender and getting by him, not glitching by or through him like last year. I felt like I was playing an actual person.

- The game feels quicker. You can get your shots off quickly now; it doesn't feel like you're shooting underwater, and the releases look more fluid overall. Shooting moving shots is now fluid again and feels authentic. Passing is much quicker and actually feels dependent on the passing attributes. Players feel quicker to the ball and to rebounds. In terms of rebounding, it's the same in that the taller player will usually get the rebound and I still cant really feel a center of gravity, but the new animations are A+

CONS

- The shot stick. I know some people love it and it's nice to have the option, but it wasn't worth it for me. I could get mid range greens on HOF using the button and using the stick I didn't notice a bonus for proper alignment, and plus I missed every single shot that was off center. The layup meter is hit or miss. I made a lot of layups I shouldn't have and missed a lot I should have made, I'll leave it at that. I don't usually use the meter anyways, but I felt like it was unnecessary to turn the meter into a crescent, it's not bad but I just feel like it was random and unnecessary.

- Last year the body types were way too jacked, this year they're way too skinny. Both equally different but equally underwhelming

- The settings are still a disaster. They still often dont save or change randomly, and leave out settings like being able to change camera in practice or to mute the pregame show.

- Fouls around the rim were the worst part of the experience for me. Too many fouls like last year and I expect them to be a problem in online play. There was a rumor that this was rampant last year as a balancing medium for lesser players. I don't like this and I want more physicality around the rim. There feels like there is always a foul around the rim and this slows down the game and subtracts from the immersion for me.

Overall, the game was amazing. The best part was talking with my friends and arguing over archetypes. This idea was a success, and every build truly has its advantages and this has added an ultimate factor of individuality in the game as a result.This is the first game where I've felt like I can do anything I want and have complete control over what happens on the screen. The few bugs from last year that I mentioned along with removing the stage are the only things holding this game back. 9.5/10

*ill look to post walk-on and pro-am reviews soon
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #22
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Love the game. Clearly more accessible and polished than 16. Defense is back and AI help D is back. Rebounding and shooting off the dribble feels amazing. The clay look of some of the players is just weird to me, not bad just different but the proportions and physique of the players is very accurate. You won't mistake Kevin Durant from a 250 pound power forward.

Commentary is varied but I've already heard repeat comments. Steve Smith should not be a commentator. He's better for halftime summaries. Webber. Ehhh. Harlan still rocks.

I wish we had more love for Kobe. Some 2000 laker teams should have been included imo.

Soundtrack is forgettable.

On the court and my career mode. This game rocks.

9 out of 10.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #23
Pro

Sdrawkcab321's Arena

OVR: 5

Not liking the new shot stick. Seemed like an unnessasary change.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 0

Feels unresponsive, especially on defense, game doesn't feel tight enough, players slow to react. Shot meter doesn't feel natural at all. Missing explosive fun factor, hard to explain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »