Home

NBA 2k17 MyLeague: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

This is a discussion on NBA 2k17 MyLeague: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2016, 03:11 PM   #9
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NBA 2k17 MyLeague: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodima
The primary disappointment from those overall numbers is that it makes it appear as though the top players are regressing towards the next class of top players (Ben Simmons improves by 2 in five years while Durant regresses by 5) while that next class is not necessarily ascending into the top tier. In each position group - and really with your draft class as well - it seems like player progression is relatively non existent in this year's game.

I haven't played a franchise deep in 2K, well, since it was still called The Association to be honest, but I feel like this used to not be the case.
I'm not as deep into the study of the numbers every year as you guys, but what you just described here is what I felt was happening last year as well. As a result, I made my draft classes with a few more higher potential guys, because I knew that one out of two A- guys would never achieve their potential on CPU teams.

Without doing that, I would end up with a league of one 90+ star instead of 6 - 8. And because as a user I'm better at drafting than the CPU is, and I tend to hire better trainers, my own team would become too competitively strong and the CPU teams could not catch up, without me making it so there could be enough stars around the league.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 0

My question is ...is the progression system still the same across the board for all players at the same position. For example you can create a rookie PG with low 3pt ratings, and a high potential (90+) with the hopes of creating the next rondo type PG. But as you went into the future the progression system would turn him into a pretty good shooter and boosts his 3pt ratings higher than you would like.
So are players at the same position getting better at the same ratings?
Old 09-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

I really liked how the progression worked out last year.

by your simmed stats, it seems as though there are too few stars in the league in about 5 years, especially at PG and SG.

Also generated Draft class, hopefully this is able to be patched or tuned to get More stars/Busts/better tendencies
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #12
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1

I think this is more a function of the roster rather than the game engine. A lot of the players in the default 2k roster have a very late "peak start" (say 27ish), so players take longer to reach their cap overall, which increases the risk of getting injured before reaching their full potential. Also, a lot of guys have late peaks so they don't really regress ever.

Here would be my suggestion for accurate peaks:

--Guys that rely on their athleticism: peak end at 30 or 31. Peak start? Depends on the type of player they are. If they're a center then maybe 25, if they're a SF or SG then maybe 24, or 23 if they're a star that was drafted as a freshman.
--Guys that rely on their skills not their athleticism: peak end can be 32-34. Peak start? Depends on their player type. PG's can take longer to come about, so maybe

So as you can see, depending on context, my general rule of thumb is that you want the players to make their biggest strides within their first 3 seasons. So set their peak start accordingly, based on what age they were drafted, what position they play, what type of player they are and what type of body they have.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
Rookie

SavoyPrime's Arena

Hot damn! Sapp putting that work in EARLY!!!
Old 09-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #14
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

That said, i have simmed a couple of seasons now and have noticed a trend in the offseason where player progression happens: players generally decrease in athletic attributes right across the board. It's very rare to see green upticks. It's mostly red.
Is it because of injuries? Lack of progression in the engine? Peaks happening too late?
Even young players lose athletic attributes rather than gain.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #15
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Leftos just tweeted:

Quote:
One of next tuning updates should include adjustments to in-season training in MyLEAGUE/MyGM for physical attributes dropping too much.— Leftos (@leftosa) September 16, 2016

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #16
Rookie

davez's Arena

A new physical attribute was added this year and we didn't adjust the training tuning accordingly. So, the same amount of points that were being spread out over a group that included an extra attribute, so everything was getting less than they should have. An update is in the works and won't need to wait for a patch...
Novato, CA, USA

Official MyGM / MyLEAGUE / MLO 2K19 Wish List

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »