Home

Online: Steals may need tuning...

This is a discussion on Online: Steals may need tuning... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2016, 04:03 AM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Online: Steals may need tuning...

Really feeling the gameplay this year...having a ball online. Overall PNO in 2K17 is a great experience.

That said, steals need to be more risk/reward. If a player is successful and swipes the ball? KUDOS. Stolen cross court passes and other ill-advised looks getting stolen is fine, but trapping us in any animation when another player attempts a steal (and fails) is bad. It lets them gain an advantage without any consequence. The vast majority of failed steal attempts should 1) not trigger animations 2)be fouls or 3) leave the defender flat-footed for a split-second.

Most of the fouls are wonderfully done and adding more reaching fouls could make aggressive players finally risk both foul trouble and disqualification.

Right now steals are being spammed and we can be triggered into "reaction" animations (like the "trailing steal" one that slows you down) that are nothing short of an exploit if they're used to max effectiveness: like end-of-game or other crucial possessions. I'd like to know if any others see the same issue. Hopefully the devs will agree and resolve it before it has a chance to fester.

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-18-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2016, 04:12 AM   #2
MVP

Thetruth9012's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Online: Steals may need tuning...

I agree with this.

Guys spam pro steal and think they are really pro lol.

Wysłane z mojego LG-H525n przy użyciu Tapatalka

Bigs can cover to much ground on defense(they are too fast)

Late contest on laups matter too much.

Random blocks doing pumpfakes.

Leaning shots for guys who have catch and shoot badge should be removed.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:26 AM   #3
Pro

Jesus_Swagglesworth's Arena

OVR: 0

Its also important to note that this is the first year where steals are actually useful, there's no need to bring down the steal success

The unbalanced risk/reward with steals has been an issue since forever. Even when steal spamming wasn't very good

My dream extreme solution: all reach in fouls are now 2 ft's and posession

.... more realistic solution: turn up reach in fouls, but leave steal success alone
Old 09-18-2016, 05:28 AM   #4
Pro

x_NBA_x's Arena

OVR: 2

People need to be punished for spamming the steal button constantly. Played a Park game and their whole team just kept spamming the steal button non-stop without any punishment, they all had 4 fouls each which shows how much they where spamming it.

Let them go for the steal and if they mess up or don't get it correctly or even try and attempt it with a poor steal rating then they should be stuck in an animation for a split second so that it teaches them to stop constantly spamming it.
NFL: Cleveland Browns
Old 09-18-2016, 05:56 AM   #5
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1

On the other hand, for offline games i feel like i get pinned way too easily for reach in fouls when trying to steal. Playing on all-star, you just swipe ONCE for the first time in minutes and bang it's a foul
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

The last 2 users I played have literally taken themselves out of game spamming steal...close game in the final minutes and mashing steal has but them in the penalty.

I like the balance there.

What I do agree with is a steal attempt effecting momenteum of the offensive player in certain situations. Egregious attempts should take you out of the play.

PLEASE dont tweak the succrss rate though.

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 09-18-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

I don't play online, so I probably don't have the proper perspective, but if they're spamming the steal button, couldn't online players simply have constant ball motion. Pass, pass, pass, to the open person, screen, pick and roll, cuts, etc. etc. Even though I rarely if ever use the steal button, having a "delayed swiping reaction" where you're stuck in mud after attempting a steal isn't realistic.

Even with NBA2k17 the retail game I'm really only getting steals when using the steal button. I'm mostly getting called for reach in fouls. Prelude seems to have better and more successful steal mechanics than the retail version.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 09-18-2016, 08:58 AM   #8
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

You can also use the Protect Ball mechanic and the steal spammers will be left out to dry. Plenty of rolls out of this (and the steal spammer will need to go to a side to get to the ball).

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »