Home

Analyzing the NBA 2K17 Roster out of the box

This is a discussion on Analyzing the NBA 2K17 Roster out of the box within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2016, 12:28 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Analyzing the NBA 2K17 Roster out of the box

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I've had a little time on my hands, and using a spreadsheet I kept from last game cycle, I've roughly noted who 2K took out, and who they kept on the main NBA/Euroleague rosters.

See the google sheet documents above.

Basically from what i can see, almost all ~450 NBA players have a Cyberface except (I could be wrong):
  • Paul Zipser - CHI
  • Jonathan Gibson - DAL
  • Georges Niang - IND
  • Brice Johnson - LAC
  • Diamond Stone - LAC
  • Marshall Plumlee - NYK
  • Maurice N'dour - NYK
  • Willie Hernangomez - NYK
  • Alex Abrines - OKC
  • Domanas Sabonis - OKC
  • Davis Bertans - SAS
  • Jakob Poetl - TOR
  • Joel Bolomboy - UTA

The Free Agency Pool has been trimmed considerably. I think it was Leftos that said they are keeping a threshold of 50 players per position and then any after than will start dropping out of the pool after some inactivity, age, etc.

Of the ~90 players in the FA pool right now:
  • 24 are on an NBA roster for training camp, and may be cut by season start
  • 11 are currently signed to contracts with NBA 2K17 featured Euroleague teams for the 16-17 season
  • 14 are otherwise signed with other international teams
  • OJ Mayo is banned for 2 years
  • Keith Appling is in legal trouble
  • This leaves roughly 40 actualy IRL free agents...many of whom are older players coming off vet min contracts last year

What I've noticed, unlike some years prior, ALL the Free Agents are only from the previous season. There are NO free agents that played their last NBA season before 15/16
e.g.:
  • Larry Sanders
  • Andray Blatche
  • Carlos Boozer
  • Greg Oden
  • Will Bynum

There are 3 players that are retired still in the pool: Chuck Hayes, Sasha Kaun and Nazr Mohammed - Can't remember if Matt Bonner is retired, but he is still in there.

So there's approximately 90 free agents from NBA 2k16 that are no longer in the FA pool - they did not play in the 2015-16 NBA season.

As far as Euroleague goes... I have 2 issues

1) I can understand teams being as per 15-16 season. But even then, the teams have had no attention paid to them - and i think I determined that maybe 30% of the players have Cyberfaces
2) I think most people would prefer to focus on the Euroleague teams, rather than adding a couple extra Eurocup teams. If I can scan my own face with my iPhone, why can't you organize with Turkish Airlines Euroleague for all players to have a 2K scanning session? I understand having the costs involved, but these self done scans would be no worse that the 3 year old Cyberfaces that they have of certain Euro players.

Because it is reflective of the 15-16 season, players from those teams that were signed or drafted by NBA teams still appear on those teams (Sergio Rodriguez, Mindaugas Kuzminskas etc...Dario Saric is still a CAP)

There are at least 3 players in the EUroleague roster that are 100% not real players

Fernandez Rudolfo has replaced the legendary Rudy Fernandez - as he is mysteriously no longer in the game, despite many of his Real Madrid teammates still having scans.
There is Christian Uta, and Petr Gibanov as well, who are not real players.

I can handle terrible CAPs, but there is still an issue with several players appearing as bald, generic black players. Where's the quality control 2K?

Anyway, in the end I do understand why they trimmed the FA pool down so much but I don't understand why if these players are still licensed to appear in NBA video games, why they can't just LEAVE the players in the FA pool.

Maybe add an extra level of user preference here:
  • Let the user build their FA pool - have a button press bring up check boxes by the players name, and when you view "All Players" - and I mean ALL PLAYERS ON THE DISC. Let me choose who I want to appear in my MyLeague or MyGM free agent pool.
  • Don't call it a FA pool, call it a player pool, and YOU the player can build you FA pool going into the season.
  • For Casuals, the option to have 2K pick 100 most recent FAs would be available too.

If you want us to be able to run our own storylines, how about give some credit to real life storylines?
  • Emeka Okafor may not ever play again, but the guys been working hard to come back
  • Imagine if Andrew Bynum woke up one morning, put in the work, and worked his way back to NBA stardom?
  • What is Ray Allen/Stephen Jackson DO come back for a spot on the bench of a contender?
  • How about some NBA comeback stories from guys spending a few years playing in Siberia? (Hello Alan Anderson, PJ Tucker and Yi Jianlian)

I've never understood why 2K takes players out - if they are free agents, then they don't have an NBA contract, but you still have certain free agents in the pool? What is their criteria? Why can't we have a broader pool and say "Any free agents who've played in the league within the last 4 years will remain in the pool". Each year, the players furthest from their last NBA game is dropped out of the pool.

I remember in 2k13 using REDitor to bring basically ever single player on the disc into my FA pool and creating those storylines with players hidden on the disc because they haven't played in a while or are yet to make their debut.

If there's no legal/monetary reason to take them out, then why take people out?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2016, 02:58 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Analyzing the NBA 2K17 Roster out of the box

good info, now i just need to know why Westbrook has a 96 in driving lay-ups.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:12 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 10

Henry Ellenson is a CAP as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...DLtC7snYo/edit
Old 09-19-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt8405
Henry Ellenson is a CAP as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, he's got the Norman Powell treatment - got a picture but stills CAP
Old 09-19-2016, 05:29 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
good info, now i just need to know why Westbrook has a 96 in driving lay-ups.
Yup, he's actually bottom of the list when it comes to finishing at the rim.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2016, 05:39 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

It's Rodolfo Fernandez, which is actually his real name, but people call him Rudy as a diminutive. They removed his cyber face though.

What I hate about the euroleague rosters is how basically NO ONE has any badge. It's ridiculous, even Sergio Rodriguez from Real Madrid has 0 badges, but the 76ers one has 4 ? What's the reasoning behind that?
Old 09-19-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by topotamolderps
It's Rodolfo Fernandez, which is actually his real name, but people call him Rudy as a diminutive. They removed his cyber face though.

What I hate about the euroleague rosters is how basically NO ONE has any badge. It's ridiculous, even Sergio Rodriguez from Real Madrid has 0 badges, but the 76ers one has 4 ? What's the reasoning behind that?
Ah fair enough - I haven't seen if he's rated similarly enough to be the same plays sans CF.

But the ratings and badges etc as a whole are lacking.

I can live with only having Euroleague 1, Euroleague 2 etc playbooks...but at least spend a little time ratings the players. Don't just make bad players rated low in comparison to NBA scrubs.

But still...unless he's made strides as a players, Tim Olbrecht shouldn't be a 79OVR on Ratiopharm Ulm - I would say that Chris Babb, who is pretty low on that team, would be "better" or as good, given he has real NBA experience.

The ratings are a bit of a mess.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »