Home

Angled text in game menus is not readable

This is a discussion on Angled text in game menus is not readable within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2016, 03:43 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Exclamation Angled text in game menus is not readable

The new on the fly menus are not bad. The idea behind the triangles, rectangles etc and matching them with the right stick is great.

But the text is not readable when angled or vertical. At least not easily readable.
When in the game you need to quickly read the text and the new on the fly menu is not working.

Right now, to be able to quickly change things, you need to learn and remember at what position appears what. This is just not do-able.

I've made a very very rough sketch of how it could be with normal text.
Which do you think is easier to use?

2kOnTheFly.jpg
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 03:47 AM   #2
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Angled text in game menus is not readable

Left one looks better and is perfectly readable to me.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:24 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Maybe it's just me. But when in the game, reading this takes too much time. Especially for playcalling.

2kOnTheFly2.jpg
Old 09-20-2016, 04:31 AM   #4
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifiend
Maybe it's just me. But when in the game, reading this takes too much time. Especially for playcalling.

Attachment 124926
Agreed, That one could have been tilted 45 degrees to be a diamond instead of square. Not much change to the aesthetic for much better readability.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Old 09-20-2016, 04:49 AM   #5
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

The key is also to clean up the playbook and not have too many plays assignated to one player. 7 pages of plays for one dude that's always gonna be a struggle. I play with no play art and have max 2 pages of play per player that I know by heart, that way you don't really have to read the text, it becomes muscle memory or you just catch a key word and boom.

I know you can't do that if you play with a lot of different teams but you should still check the plays you have assignated for each players and clean it up. Would be much easyer then.

On that screenshot I still feel like it's readable to me even with just a quick glance but obviously we're all different and see things differently.

Last edited by Vni; 09-20-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 05:26 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
The key is also to clean up the playbook and not have too many plays assignated to one player. 7 pages of plays for one dude that's always gonna be a struggle. I play with no play art and have max 2 pages of play per player that I know by heart, that way you don't really have to read the text, it becomes muscle memory or you just catch a key word and boom.

I know you can't do that if you play with a lot of different teams but you should still check the plays you have assignated for each players and clean it up. Would be much easyer then.

On that screenshot I still feel like it's readable to me even with just a quick glance but obviously we're all different and see things differently.
I use plays all the time, but rarely play with the same team over and over again until I start my MyLeague. So editing plays for every player for one game is just not doable.

In case of the defensive adjustments it's readable since it's just one word. In the case of playcalling it takes me way too long. I'd rather have them horizontally as well.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:40 AM   #7
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

Not editing plays but checking what play types are assignated for your starters helps a lot ingame and takes like 30 seconds. I don't know why they give so many play types for each players by default.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:54 AM   #8
Rookie

kingmobz23's Arena

OVR: 0

yup you are correct during the game it takes wayyy to much time to even wonder what play it is the way 2k had that before was much better its hard to read and understand now

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »