Home

Is ACE engine Team or Coach Specific?

This is a discussion on Is ACE engine Team or Coach Specific? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

OVR: 0
Is ACE engine Team or Coach Specific?

I am wondering that if in my GM I'm not liking my coaches adjustments if changing coaches make a difference in philosophy? Will having D'Antoni as the coach of the Nets lead to ACE adjustments for faster pace and looser D?

Also if it's Team Specific than do all the Expansion teams come in with random or generic ACE identities?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Is ACE engine Team or Coach Specific?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
I am wondering that if in my GM I'm not liking my coaches adjustments if changing coaches make a difference in philosophy? Will having D'Antoni as the coach of the Nets lead to ACE adjustments for faster pace and looser D?

Also if it's Team Specific than do all the Expansion teams come in with random or generic ACE identities?

What is ACE? I have heard it referenced before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

Running an expansion team and dying to know this as well, especially since freelance or anything else doesn't seem to be available from a menu once again.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
MVP

Ownal0t's Arena

if its like myteam, then its coach based
Old 09-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #5
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

I'm also curious about this. Because its hard to tell if teams have distinct coach specific play styles out side of their playbooks so far. It seems most coaches end up making the same ACE adjustments even if they don't normally play that way in real life, like up tempo when they normally should prefer a slower game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
MVP

ACE from Da_Czar Blog the Offensive Side of the Ball

Adaptive Coaching Engine

What NBA teams do offensively to a large degree is dependent on the situation. Like the time and score as well as the abilities of the players on the floor.

Generally in NBA 2K15 how the A.I. started a game was most likely how it would finish. There was little variation between quarters or teams large enough for users to notice. Advanced users could play a single quarter and pretty much know what needed to be adjusted to change how the A.I. was going to play them.

ACE allows us to set custom known and unknown lineups for each team. In known lineups we specify what three specific players on the floor define a lineup.

For unknown lineups, we can determine what types of players at what positions define a lineup. Some examples are: perimeter shooter, mid-range shooter, shot creator, freelance scorer and freelance creator.

Then we are able to set up a game plan for each lineup for a myriad of situations.

ACE can update the play style for a team every time they are in possession of the ball. This allows for flexible, per possession distribution of the offense.

ACE is able to make fluid tempo adjustments during the course of a game. For the Charlotte Hornets, If a play is called for Kemba Walker we can enable early offense for that possession. However, if the play call is for Al Jefferson, the A.I. can select the walk it up tempo to ensure we get the ball inside.

ACE can allow the A.I. to alternate between set plays and any applicable freelance offense so that play repetition becomes a non-issue.

In prior games a team would run their plays and then their singular freelance offense. A team like the Clippers in NBA 2K16 will run 3 Out 2 In, 3 Out 2 In Motion, 4 Out, 4 Out Motion, and 3 Out 2 In Fist -- in addition to their stacked playbook.

This will all vary based on what lineup is playing, the quarter and score differential.

These are full 48-minute game plans that scale down to shorter quarter lengths. We are able to begin to mimic the nuances of how each NBA team functions with different units on the floor.

If we take the Clippers as an example, Doc traditionally will start games looking to get Redick involved in the offense. So when you play them the first quarter, they will attempt to get Redick going.

They are a transition team however, so if CP3 or Blake gets hot, ACE will detect that and adjust the game plan to direct the offense towards the hot offensive player.

With ACE, depending on each coach's philosophy, each quarter they can attack you differently or maintain the same offensive focus.

ACE is also able to detect crunch time and apply a team-specific game plan based on how teams operate down the stretch.

When you play the Celtics and Isaiah Thomas checks into the game, the Celtics will feature him on offense just like they did last season. They transform from equal opportunity offense to one driven by Isaiah’s ability to create shots for himself and his teammates.

Our ACE engine is easily updateable for quick games. So if a team’s offensive focus changes long enough to establish a trend, the ACE offensive game plan can be updated with the latest roster. We also have default game plans for when a user is deeper in MyLeague or MyGM when no known players are still in the league.

The combination of all the improvements you have read thus far all roll up into ACE to create a unique and dynamic experience that changes with every matchup you face.

Imagine a west coast swing where you will face the Warriors, Rockets, Jazz, and Mavericks all with their own unique game plans, freelance offenses, playbooks, and early offensive systems.

Until next time it’s your man Da_Czar President of the #SimNation reminding you...

Scott Defensive Side of the ball

THE ADAPTIVE COACHING ENGINE

This engine allows the AI to dynamically and progressively adapt to you, the gamer, as you play in your Exhibition, Season, and Playoff games. For the first time ever, each player is treated differently depending on the team, score and situation.

Here is what lives within:

NEW - TEAM-SPECIFIC DEFENSES – All 30 NBA Coaches will have their own adaptability and defensive coaching philosophies in NBA 2K16.

Like mentioned above, these coaches will now adapt to players differently depending on
Exhibition
Season
Playoffs
Player type
Behavior
Efficiency
And more

NEW – Legendary team adjustments (Some highlights).
Jordan RULES – Yes, the infamous “Jordan Rules” are in the game. The entire progression on how they disrupted Jordan’s rhythm in the late '80s is here. From where they forced him when he had the ball, to the change from Dumars to Rodman depending on success.
Scottie Pippen matching up with Magic Johnson - As you know this was the adjustment that changed the entire '91 series.
Gary Payton on MJ in '96 Finals.
Celtics adjustments to the Showtime Lakers.

“How many adjustments are in this Adaptive Coaching Engine?” – To be honest, I’m not sure. I stopped counting at five thousand.

Let’s continue…

NEW - Player efficiency evaluation – In basketball games prior to NBA 2K16, the only defensive adjustment you would see take place is a double team once a player has scored a particular number. NOW scoring 30 with KD on 26 shots is not the same as KD scoring 28 on 15 shots. Each team will react differently depending on score, the player and efficiency that he’s producing at.
NEW - Specific Player archetype adjustments – Scoring 20 with Andre Miller and Steph Curry will mean totally different things to the 30 different teams in the league. Coaches like George Karl may look to stop the bleeding immediately with an aggressive adjustment while Steve Kerr is fine with keeping everyone else on the floor in check.
NEW – Stretch 4s and pop recognition – Again, in games prior to NBA 2K16, players like Kevin Durant can come over and set 1-3 ball screens and destroy you! Now teams understand who the screener is and how he’s playing.

One Example:

Problem: Durant is going to set a ball screen on the point guard, he’s on fire and on track to score 40+

Answer: Hedge defender now decides to “hug up” on Durant, eliminating the pop threat.

NEW - All playoff adjustments against particular players in last season’s playoffs are in NBA 2K16
Here’s a few examples:
Matt Dellavedova pressuring Curry at 94 ft.
Cleveland doubling Curry on every pick and roll.
Bogut matching up with Tony Allen. – Don’t be surprised if you see this adjustment if Golden State is down in the series again.
Etc.

I know what you’re thinking, “Is this just based on historical data?”

Nope! Let me give you an example of how this works:

This past season I noticed an adjustment on Chris Paul in screen and roll from a particular team. I called over there and asked them, “Hey, I noticed you guys were showing hard on CP3 last night, is this a new change to the scheme? I haven’t seen you guys do that all year.”

“Nope, that was just for him.”

“Do you guys plan on continuing to guard him like that in the pick and roll?”

“Yup, it worked well for us.”

I show you this to tell you that these are the regular conversations we had throughout the year and we’ll continue to have this season.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #7
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Thank you I remember seeing this. Isn't it from '16? I guess I can assume this is still accurate.

So to sum it up the adaptive coaching engine is more to do with your line ups and players on the floor and team success than anything else.

So from what I'm reading hiring an offensively challenged coach or defensive neglecting coach wont effect this at all?
Old 09-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
Thank you I remember seeing this. Isn't it from '16? I guess I can assume this is still accurate.

So to sum it up the adaptive coaching engine is more to do with your line ups and players on the floor and team success than anything else.

So from what I'm reading hiring an offensively challenged coach or defensive neglecting coach wont effect this at all?
17 is ACE 2.0 The coach matters in 2.0 as far as a boost in ratings Thibs will give your players a boost on Defense and D'antoni will give your players a boost on offense Go check your coaches ratings. Scott stated this in the launch stream. And yes, ACE 2.0 is a building block on ACE 1.0. Scott stated that ACE 2.0 has over 6,000 adjustments amongst other things.

Here's a link of the launch stream, I jotted down some ACE notes offered by Scott
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...&postcount=116

Last edited by Impetuous65; 09-22-2016 at 07:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »