Home

NBA 2K17 Defensive Settings Community Wiki

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Defensive Settings Community Wiki within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #81
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer

OGSPORTS's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NBA 2K17 Defensive Settings Community Wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordxiphos78
I found consistent success playing defense by STAYING AWAY from these options found within the defensive settings menu.

HARD HEDGE is overly aggressive, as it should be, and it breaks your defense from being on a string. I believe most within the 2K Community are aware of this already, lol.

SELECTING YES ON PRE ROTATE, again this is overly aggressive, which it SHOULDN'T and extremely inconsistent by randomly choosing player to provide help (i.e. defensive player coming from one side of the court to the other to provide help) or prematurely pre rotating when the offensive player is in a standing, non attacking position (i.e not driving to the basket or even moving for that matter)

I would love to utilize the Pre Rotate defensive option, but refuse to due to what I mentioned above. Does anyone know, if the over aggressiveness and inconsistencies within Selecting Yes on Pre Rotate, 2K will address in a patch? Or we have to wait til next year's iteration to see if it will be coded correctly (executed correctly in basketball terms)?
umm yes it should. And it's not inconsistent, you just don't know what it means and didn't watch the stream. Pre rotate only occurs from either the wing or corner. You are loading up one side of the floor. When you load up it doesn't matter whether the offensive player is in an attacking position or not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #82
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGSPORTS
umm yes it should. And it's not inconsistent, you just don't know what it means and didn't watch the stream. Pre rotate only occurs from either the wing or corner. You are loading up one side of the floor. When you load up it doesn't matter whether the offensive player is in an attacking position or not.
Scott, if hard hedge is as generally poor as you've said, why is it part of the play physical adjustment?

Shouldn't it be more smart to play physical and look for turnovers without giving up the roll on picks?
Old 10-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #83
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer

OGSPORTS's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
Scott, if hard hedge is as generally poor as you've said, why is it part of the play physical adjustment?

Shouldn't it be more smart to play physical and look for turnovers without giving up the roll on picks?
Because it's a physical approach. That doesn't mean it's the best one or one that I would recommend. And if you have anyone who's nice at PnR's they will make sure that they're coming down hill before hand which limits the success of the hedge defender, it's another reason why you don't see many in the league using it other than on the sides or with agile 4's.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #84
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo1822
So there is no way to specifically give Curry's defender stay attached instructions if he were to set a pick on Thompson or Durant as the ball handler? The best I could do to cover up would be to switch guards.
If Im reading you right (Durant as the ball handler and Curry the screener), I think you'd go to Durant's individual def setting and input this. Apologies I havent got the screen in front of me.

Screen: Over
Hedge: Stay attached

It wouldnt matter what you inpur the (center) stuff because in this example there is no center involved in the PNR.

Alabamarob is this correct?
Old 10-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #85
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGSPORTS
LOL!!! appreciate that, Rob! I've got a lot of goodies planned with "how to..." etc coming soon. Understanding the tools you have combined with the schemes that you're team is runs is essential. There's still a TON of lab work to get done in these streams.

Much love to everyone who came through btw!
After labbin some more, I see what you are saying. Each team has a scheme to handle different situations. So once you know what your team's scheme is you will know where the help will come from on a certain situation? Example if Harden drives and i have it set to double on drive and i use the Hawks the cpu will take the Hawks scheme/philosophy and consistently pick a helper based off who Hou has on floor. So if they run Nene and Capela together my Hawks will probably help off of 1 of those 2 probably the 1 furthest from the rim?

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes

Last edited by alabamarob; 10-02-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #86
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
If Im reading you right (Durant as the ball handler and Curry the screener), I think you'd go to Durant's individual def setting and input this. Apologies I havent got the screen in front of me.

Screen: Over
Hedge: Stay attached

It wouldnt matter what you inpur the (center) stuff because in this example there is no center involved in the PNR.

Alabamarob is this correct?
That would be correct. Curry and the other NON CENTERS would have an option, and then the center would have his. All on Durant's individual def settings page. You could always just controller the hedger yourself if need be also.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 10-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #87
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Oh sorry Willo I see you problem now. If Durant is the ball handler and you assign 'stay attached', that works if Curry is the screener but would suck if its Zaza.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #88
MVP

OVR: 15

All these schemes sound awesome, but are we to assume they are currently bugged?

The CPU is definitely doing a ton of wacky things at the moment. I play with the Warriors and teams are leaving Durant and Klay wide open on pick and rolls. Also, there is a tremendous amount of double teaming by players running all the way across the floor and leaving shooters wide open to do so. (I really think double teams should be disabled entirely. NBA teams do not double like that)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »