Home

2k needs to patch these cheesy Stretch Bigs

This is a discussion on 2k needs to patch these cheesy Stretch Bigs within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #57
Rookie

gametyme89's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: 2k needs to patch these cheesy Stretch Bigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiculous
Very good opinion. Many want to be THE guy. I personally am different. I prefer to get 10 assists a game instead of 10 points in a game. I don't know what it is, but I have a pass-first mentality in me. I play ball irl and I'm 5'5, passing is a huge arsenal in my game since I'm so short. I get much more joy in getting a swift assist instead of a 360 dunk.
lol I am very similar.. I made a Sharpshooting Small Forward because that's how I play in real life.. spot up 3 guy. But in the game I take more joy in doing something I suck at in real life... rebounding.

I am always trying to lead the team(s) in rebounding and I focus on that even more so than trying to score any points haha.

Had I known i'd enjoy the rebounding aspect more than scoring I would have chosen a different archetype.. but I don't have a budget set aside for 2k so i'm not about to start a second character and start grinding/spending all over again haha.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
I can say lock down is prolly better than I thought it was originally, but I can't imagine them being the best archetype in the game.

We'll see. I got my C to 80... which is good enough to bang w/ 99% of the people I play against, so I'm gonna try to get my LDD to 80 as well.

As I said before, 3 point shooters are best because that is the thing that ratings influence the most. You can do almost everything else in the game with a low rating if you are good, even tho most sharpshooters don't understand the game, either...

3 point and finishing I guess, would be the two things ratings determine the most. I just think if they made height matter less for rebounds/blocks/interior D then 7'3 stretch bigs would become obsolete. Of course, so would my guy cuz I made a 7'3 post scorer. But there is no issue boxing out or blocking many shots.

-Smak
Good LDDs can frustrate even the best scorers, and they still have a midrange and under the basket game.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gametyme89
No1 wants to be a role player. Everyone wants to be THE guy. So they'll choose the path of least resistance when it comes to creating a character that can score.. that leads them to Sharpshooter or Stretch Big. Other archetypes are fine and fun and all.. but if you like the razzle dazzle of scoring lots of points and lighting it up like Steph Curry and stuff then that's where you'll end up.

I'm not knocking any archetype.. a lot of guys just dont want to be role players with specific purposes within their team and not get a chance to light up the scoreboard.

At least that's my opinion.
I don't need to be the guy, I'm ok with being the Draymond / Andrei Kirilenko guy that racks up a ton of all around stats.....I have a lockdown defender, average 10,9,4,1,1 in pro am.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:24 PM   #60
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelumfang
Good LDDs can frustrate even the best scorers, and they still have a midrange and under the basket game.
Lockdown is the hard counter to sharpshooter, so I agree with that, but I just dunno if it matters as much as you think. I'm talking more of park tho because to me stretch bigs are no issue in pro am, that I've seen. 2 on 2, 3 on 3, they can be.

I play like a lockdown defender role player no matter what you give me. Obviously you get extra success with defense, but that's my play style anyway. I'm just saying, as someone who has had much exp with low rated players vs high rated players in 2k ever since they had park/pro am, defense from 70-94 is significant, but I'd rather have scoring ability, passing, etc.

They really hit LDD hard in terms of caps. Their off-ball speed I guess is pretty amazing, but I think they should have given them something else. Does 75 vs 79 rebounding matter? I can't believe it does. I'm not saying they're bad, but they are the most role player of every archetype imo.

That said, I'm gonna make a SF LDD just because I wanna guard 1-5 in the park.

-Smak
Old 11-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #61
Rookie

I wish they hadn't have closed the other thread because I feel that his question was sound. Maybe if some Stretch Bigs and Sharpshooters could share some of their perceived shortcomings of the archetype, others wouldn't feel that they are so OP.

As a post scorer, I find it frustrating to watch Stretch Bigs drain Halfcourt threes in my face consistently, but I forgive it to an extent because I am a post scorer and not a lockdown defender. What I can't forgive though, is the fact that I can't really hit a hook shot consistently. Any type of contest, even from a small defender, will nullify the hook.

Meanwhile the Stretch Big can still hit threes, even if they're contested, while dunking like shaq.

Last edited by Thunderhorse; 11-02-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #62
Rookie

Aside from consistently hitting contested shots. Stretch Bigs arent that "OP".

Typically the issue is bad rotating defense. Im a 7'3 Glass Cleaner I constantly see the guards on my team fail to rotate after their man blow pass them.

My natural instincts are to rotate and protect the paint, but the guard will just run behind the guy who blew by him than rotate the perimeter.

Now I just go by the philosophy that a 2 is better than a 3, and stay put. Not my style and horrible defense, but hearing fools complain that your man is open after constantly getting blown by gets silly after a while

Last edited by JUSTlFIED; 11-02-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
I wish they hadn't have closed the other thread because I feel that his question was sound. Maybe if some Stretch Bigs and Sharpshooters could share some of their perceived shortcomings of the archetype, others wouldn't feel that they are so OP.

As a post scorer, I find it frustrating to watch Stretch Bigs drain Halfcourt threes in my face consistently, but I forgive it to an extent because I am a post scorer and not a lockdown defender. What I can't forgive though, is the fact that I can't really hit a hook shot consistently. Any type of contest, even from a small defender, will nullify the hook.

Meanwhile the Stretch Big can still hit threes, even if they're contested, while dunking like shaq.
First off, I don't have a stretch big, I have a 6'9 SF and I only play career mode with him on HoF.

So then, I think the first issue is that lots of players claiming shots are being drained in their face, are almost definitely using the L2 button to shot contest and probably from a few feet away when the shooting animation starts. I played one game with him in pro-am to see what the fuss was about. I took mainly open shots with him and a couple of late close outs, and went 10/15.

The game was comfortably won, so in the last quarter, I got the ok from my team mates to try some properly contested shots, and went 0/5. Of course heavily contested shots will fall, just like they do in rl, but I think the main problem is late user close outs as opposed to heavy defence.

In career mode, my dude is so slow it's painful at times and getting open looks is nigh on impossible some games because the defence literally sticks to my player. I have 99 shooting/contested shots ratings and all Hof badges, and when the CPU is about 4/5ft away, I only get d/f grades on shooting which is terrible. Even if I didn't have HoF deadeye, my contested shot rating should at least provide some shield from this.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #64
Rookie

BigJizzle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse

Naw mane you dont have to it period! Your point is on point. They shouldnt be able to hit them halfcourt shots off da backboard or any halfcourt shot the way they do. The only reason why they shoot them shoots the way they do is because 2k encourages those types of shots because they are never punished for shooting that foolishness! But you on the other hand, assuming you playing sim bball trying to utilize your post scorer in da post shooting a hook shot on a pg playmaker 6"1 more than likely you will miss that more than the stretch big shooting that halfcourt shoot. This gm is so backwards! Sharpshooters can shoot 30ft+ with a hand in their face and hit it nothing but net on a consistent basis but let someone take da ball to the cup for a one on one layup, (slasher/athletic finisher/post score or rim procter vs playmaker pg 6"0 or SS 6"4, you will miss the layup more times than not. 2k has majority of park and pro am players feeling like da 3pt shot is the smartest shot on da gm. People actually pass up open mid shots to take a contested 3pter that actually goes in at a high rate. I have a 95LDD sf and i can migate alot of the foolishness but its just mind boggling when i see it happen to everyone else

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »