Home

MyCAREER Has a Realism Problem

This is a discussion on MyCAREER Has a Realism Problem within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2016, 07:34 AM   #65
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MyCAREER Has a Realism Problem

I honestly don't care about VC. I don't do online myCareer stuff so it's whatever. I just play the story. I will say that I wasn't able to get into this years story. The practice and stuff on your calendar is tedious. I don't want to play against Jimmy Butler on my court. Just let me play the NBA games and see the story unfold. I wasnt the biggest fan of Living the Dream but I finished it and it was entertaining. This year I haven't made it to the meeting with the shoe company person. I don't really play for "realism". I have MyLeague for that. But I do want an engaging, fun and unique experience. I don't feel like MyCareer hit it this year for me.

Last edited by Junior Moe; 10-04-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #66
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfr33
lmao now 2k15 was the best. i could have sworn people talked abt same things that people are crying about now back then

Not the game, the mycareer. And idk what other people were saying, but I always liked 15's my career.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #67
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Re: MyCareer Has a Realism Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodMuzik
Here's the thing too, I'm under the impression, that any player drafted in the 1st round... their agent, friends, family, and themselves really believe they're going to have a great career. So the narrative is more often than not, there.

The other thing, it IS a video game, so the game is designed for the player to have the experience and the excitement that they're going to be the NEXT BIG THING. Because it's a video game experience to entice and excite the gamer.

To the people that buy this game ONLY for the MYCAREER GAME MODE... I understand your frustration.

But there is no shortage of VC.
It is given to you in every game mode.

If you play a MyLeague game, about 1000 VC. If you play a MyGM game, that's about 1000 VC. Oh you accomplished a goal by your owner, here's some more VC, if you simmed your whole season and hit some goals, have some more instant VC. If you play MyTEAM, here's 1000 VC. If you play Blacktop, here's some VC. You want to just [i]PlayNow? Here's 1000 VC. Online MyLeague with your friends, here's another 1000 VC per game.

Oh you pre-ordered? Here's 5000 (minimum) VC

And for every game you play in MyCareer, here's 400-900 VC.

You get VC by playing 2k17, and you can spend it however, and wherever you want.

You can save a bunch of VC and use it all on your MyPlayer if you want before you even play an NBA game.

There's no shortage of VC if you're enjoying the game as a whole.
Sure, you can earn VC in every game you play. But it still requires several hours worth of playing to earn enough to make your player halfway decent. So if someone, like myself, doesn't have more than 5-10 hours per week to play video games, it's going to take me well over a month to earn enough VC just to make my PG fast enough to outrun a center on the break. That's assuming I don't want to also buy any accessories or different clothes for the unskippable cutscenes.

Quote:
In that case, there isn't any incentive for any game to have extras that need to be earned or attained.

Call of Duty or Battlefield? Your military would supply you with the armament you need right? So walk into battle with whichever gun and armor you choose, it needs to be made be available to all then.
The difference is that a headband or arm sleeve doesn't alter your abilities on the court. Having different weapons, armor, etc. in those games affects how you might play. You can have the same abilities as everyone else from the beginning. Imagine if you had to play Battlefield or COD for a month moving at half the speed of everybody else, you can't throw your grenades as far, and your shots don't always go where you aim them. That's your starting player in 2k's career mode.

Quote:
And like I said, it's video game, so you can still nearly average a triple double your rookie season as a 55 overall lol
You still can't outrun a lumbering big as a PG from the start. I have a playmaker PG, and routinely get chased down on fast breaks. And that's only one attribute that's not where it should be to start.

I had a play last night where I was bringing the ball up the court, and Justice was wide open at the elbow. I tried to pass the ball from half court to the elbow, and threw it out of bounds. There were no defenders anywhere near myself or Justice, I didn't try a flashy pass, it was just a normal pass to an open teammate. I could make that pass 100/100 times in real life, and I am nowhere near the skill level or athleticism of an NBA player. But in the game, where I'm supposed to be a top 3 overall draft pick and the next big thing, I threw it out of bounds because as a playmaking PG, my passing ratings are too low to make that pass.

Yes, I can cheese my way to a triple double, but I would rather play realistic basketball and not have to be the facilitator for every single possession while I'm on the court. I would also like to be able to take advantage of a mismatch on the perimeter if the defense puts a slow big man on me without relying on screens or glitches.

Last edited by El_Poopador; 10-04-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #68
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
Yes, I can cheese my way to a triple double, but I would rather play realistic basketball and not have to be the facilitator for every single possession while I'm on the court. I would also like to be able to take advantage of a mismatch on the perimeter if the defense puts a slow big man on me without relying on screens or glitches.
This is an issue i run into as well, sometimes it feels like the game is not built for you to play realistic basketball at all, rather it is built for you to play overly video gamey hero ball and do nothing but go for highlight plays.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #69
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
Sure, you can earn VC in every game you play. But it still requires several hours worth of playing to earn enough to make your player halfway decent. So if someone, like myself, doesn't have more than 5-10 hours per week to play video games, it's going to take me well over a month to earn enough VC just to make my PG fast enough to outrun a center on the break. That's assuming I don't want to also buy any accessories or different clothes for the unskippable cutscenes.
That is the worst cop-out ever. Let me stop you there, you better not play Uncharted 4, or Fallout 4, or any Elder Scrolls game, or Last of Us, or etc etc. Because you don't have time lol. Because, you don't have time to play those titles.

Quote:
The difference is that a headband or arm sleeve doesn't alter your abilities on the court. Having different weapons, armor, etc. in those games affects how you might play. You can have the same abilities as everyone else from the beginning. Imagine if you had to play Battlefield or COD for a month moving at half the speed of everybody else, you can't throw your grenades as far, and your shots don't always go where you aim them. That's your starting player in 2k's career mode.
Imagine, instead I load my game a month after release when everyone else got it. And they now have +300 armour and +500 damage, and I get the drop on them, unload my starter MP3 into their back, and they turn around and blow me away with their heavily modded black market diamond encrusted assault rifle. That's online warfare games. Is that the developers fault? No. I need to put the time into the game in order to reap the rewards.

In all seriousness... 2k put out a game they envisioned. A 20 year career mode (if you play ONLINE, yes, they should separate the 2). Which is basketball's version of a 20 year campaign mode. If you would like to immerse yourself in what the developers envisioned, please do. Live the life of a "tedious practice filled NBA career (or you know, don't because you can skip those, and yes, you won't get better, ergo the reason for practicing in life). BUT, if you would like to skip ahead into the career, OR you don't have TIME to play this all out, the option to spend $10 extra here or there (AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION, they don't just rip $60 more out of your wallets, you don't have to go ALL IN) the option is there.

Kobe Bryant being the cover is probably the perfect example for this years story.

Drafted just after lottery in the 1st round. Still came off the bench for 15 minutes a game only (yeah the first round near-lotto pick from High School with great upside). Scored 7 ppg.

2nd year, huge minutes jump just under 30minpergame, still got 16ppg.

3rd year, now playing a whopping 38 minutes a game! Still has yet to score 20ppg average.

Wasn't until his 4th year that he popped the 22+ clip. And we know how hard of a worker Kobe is.

So don't say all of this is unrealistic, 2K created a long story instead of years past of being a 99 overall after your rookie season. You can grind like an NBA player who excelled at the High School and College level, and now has to work to be good in NBA.

Hell, Matt Leinart was probably an 85 overall coming out of college into the NFL, but he was probably close to a 60

Last edited by MoodMuzik; 10-04-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #70
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
That is the worst cop-out ever. Let me stop you there, you better not play Uncharted 4, or Fallout 4, or any Elder Scrolls game, or Last of Us, or etc etc. Because you don't have time lol. Because, you don't have time to play those titles.
How is it a cop-out? In those games, my enemies are at the same level as myself. Or, I will be over-leveled if I decide to grind. In 2k, it's the opposite; I have to grind to reach the same level as my opponents.

Quote:
Imagine, instead I load my game a month after release when everyone else got it. And they now have +300 armour and +500 damage, and I get the drop on them, unload my starter MP3 into their back, and they turn around and blow me away with their heavily modded black market diamond encrusted assault rifle. That's online warfare games. Is that the developers fault? No. I need to put the time into the game in order to reap the rewards.
You're assuming I want to be a 99 overall from the start. That is not at all the case. But I should be able to at least beat a center up the court as a point guard, no?

In any case, I wasn't even referring to online play. I start the game at a severe disadvantage compared to every single opposing player I might come up against. In all aspects: speed, strength, quickness, dribbling, shooting, passing, stamina, etc. Whether I start playing the game on release day or 6 months later, I am not able to keep up with other NBA players, who should possess a similar skillset and athletic ability as myself.

Quote:
In all seriousness... 2k put out a game they envisioned. A 20 year career mode (if you play ONLINE, yes, they should separate the 2). Which is basketball's version of a 20 year campaign mode. If you would like to immerse yourself in what the developers envisioned, please do. Live the life of a "tedious practice filled NBA career (or you know, don't because you can skip those, and yes, you won't get better, ergo the reason for practicing in life). BUT, if you would like to skip ahead into the career, OR you don't have TIME to play this all out, the option to spend $10 extra here or there (AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION, they don't just rip $60 more out of your wallets, you don't have to go ALL IN) the option is there.
That's great. It's super realistic. I guess I just missed the part of the game where I can build up my athleticism and skills in the first 18 years of my life and become a player with a skillset worthy of playing in the NBA. I totally forgot that most NBA players can't outrun a slug or make a single three pointer until their second or third year in the NBA.

Quote:

Kobe Bryant being the cover is probably the perfect example for this years story.

Drafted just after lottery in the 1st round. Still came off the bench for 15 minutes a game only (yeah the first round near-lotto pick from High School with great upside). Scored 7 ppg.

2nd year, huge minutes jump just under 30minpergame, still got 16ppg.

3rd year, now playing a whopping 38 minutes a game! Still has yet to score 20ppg average.

Wasn't until his 4th year that he popped the 22+ clip. And we know how hard of a worker Kobe is.
But was he able to shoot a three pointer, or run faster than Shaq, or make a contested layup, or dribble near a defender without losing the ball before that? I'm willing to bet the answer is yes to all of those questions.

Quote:
So don't say all of this is unrealistic, 2K created a long story instead of years past of being a 99 overall after your rookie season. You can grind like an NBA player who excelled at the High School and College level, and now has to work to be good in NBA.
Again, the difference is that they were still halfway decent at the sport, and already athletic by the time they got to the NBA. No one has to spend a full NBA season to break a 6 second 40 time. No one has to spend a full NBA season to be able to dribble between their legs without losing the ball. No one spends a full NBA season to be able to shoot better than a high school freshman on the JV team.

No one wants to be a 99 from the start. I don't understand how anyone thinks that. All we want is to actually have the skillset and athleticism of an NBA player when we, you know, play in the NBA.

Last edited by El_Poopador; 10-04-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #71
Rookie

It's not the fact that you start out as a 55 rated player that is the big issue people are taking with the story, even though it lessens the fun to have the speed and basketball skills of your average tree log starting out. The issue people are taking with you starting out as a 55 rated tree log is that you are presented all the way through college as someone special and the next big sensation.

- You were the number one high school player in America and your college choice was national news.
- The broadcasters during your college games talks about you like you are the next big thing.
- During the Midnight Madness you are hailed as a savior of the school and someone who are gonna lead the program to a Championship.
- You are recruited to play for Team USA by Coach K before you are even drafted.
- When you're drafted people are talking about you as their next Franchise player.
- When you are presented on the press conference with the other drafted players you leave afterwards with your agent to talk to shoe companies.

These are not things that make you fit with being the lowest skilled player in your draft class.

It would be fine to be a nobody coming into the league if the story surrounding you fit the narrative of you being someone who has to fight for everything on your way to the top. If you are presented as a D-League level player who barley made it to the NBA, a 55 rating would be fine. But you still should have the basic athletic abilities to outrun a walking Dick Bavetta carrying Charles Barkley when you're running full speed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #72
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

Why not adjust the difficulty? Why does everyone think they HAVE to play on HOF? Or SS for that matter?

And fact is, at a 70 overall you're already over-powered.

Look at Smoove, he jumped into a level 78... 78 only... and it looked like was the quickest, fastest, kyrie irving handled player to ever touch a basketball. Flying around the court with absurd ease, in and out of double teams, easy layups and racking up assists.

All done on the hardest difficult^^^

And that's supposed to be an average player.

Last edited by MoodMuzik; 10-04-2016 at 07:10 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »