Home

Why you shouldnt ask for a patch: MUST READ!

This is a discussion on Why you shouldnt ask for a patch: MUST READ! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #25
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why you shouldnt ask for a patch: MUST READ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
That's not what I'm saying either. I am blessed to be able to live seeing both sides. I see what life is like with and without certain things. There are pros and cons on both sides. My point is because I've played games at times where there were no such thing as patches and tuners...it helps in a case like this where I(my personal perspective) believe that the way this game plays out of the box no patches and tuners is light years better than it does now with the patches and tuners. Whereas, for someone who never had to experience playing games like that...I can see their side too. If all I knew was this games is broken or certain areas are really buggy they need to patch it or tune it, then I would he doing the same thing. So I'm not saying there isn't a place for them. Of course it is. But what I am saying is, when they patch and tune we should be prepared for the fact that the game will look and play less and less as intended. Ask most people around here how the last few years, this game has changed so drastically from patch 1 to patch 3 and 4 that many stopped playing after that. There is no getting around it.
The difference is - they used to make finished products back in the day.

Now, they make un-finished products with the idea that "we'll patch it later." So, they rush out 2k every single year just in time for NBA Pre-Season and "fix the rest in a patch later."

What I think you were trying to say is "DO NOT NERF THE GAME YET," which I might agree with you on... Cuz there are so many broken featuers in the game right now that need fixed via patch.

Last edited by SirGaryColeman; 10-03-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #26
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

2k will update the game as they see fit. Not that they don't care what people say, but they have individuals who are paid to do this and test the game for a living . Patches can be considered as polishing an already great game. They know what they are doing. Patches historically are positive for any video game. Sports especially.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
If you come from the era I come from there was a time when there was no such thing as patches and tuners. You played the game in the condition it was in straight out the box and that was that. Either you truly enjoyed it, you learned to enjoy it and take the good with the bad, or you just didn't Olay it. Those were the options. Because of that I guess it's easier for me to be able to enjoy Tue game straight from Tue box. But for those who know nothing more than if there is something wrong with the game then it needs/vets a patch or tuning then I can see how it bothers you. But the truth is the more a game is tuned and patched the less it looks and plays the way it was intended.
Stay in your era with your Atari then, while we who "know nothing more" demand better from the industry. It's the 21st century and the market will rightfully chew you up as a gaming company and spit you out if you show little concern for game design or user experience.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #28
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
Stay in your era with your Atari then, while we who "know nothing more" demand better from the industry. It's the 21st century and the market will rightfully chew you up as a gaming company and spit you out if you show little concern for game design or user experience.

I will man thanks.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #29
Banned

jax01's Arena

People have user error. The NBA game is pretty static as far as something to use as the baseline foundation. This isn't too complicated. Make physics nba/basketball-like (sorry speed boost). Make contested shots miss, open shots go in for the majority of the time. If my hands in your face you should miss that shot. Make defense have footplanting and decent movement to guard the offense. Gameplay balance. Stop giving people ratings boosts so that realism becomes arcade.

This isn't rocket science. The "tuning" of the game should be pretty straight forward -- replicate real-life basketball. It's a static-ish foundation. It's making a simulation of something that already exists, it's not reinventing the wheel. If that's the baseline from the get-go, every design decision on the game should reflect that. NBA 2K has for the most part, but then they add some badge or some OP move that sends it all out of wack.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #30
Rookie

Finepanther's Arena

The problem with this post is that it assumes they start working on the first patch after release. They start putting a patch together BEFORE it's release. Why? Because they test the game before release and already know about the bugs and faults. All the gameplay adjustments that are done that people are complaining about are done without a patch.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:14 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballlogic
When Nba 2k is first released, the gameplay settings, sliders etc are all tuned accordingly to the product fresh out the box (hard written code). Hard written code in a video game is like super gluing a mega structure and when you try to take it apart and add or replace with new pieces, the product loses its authenticity and solidarity.

Asking for a patch is like taking a rubber band and stretching it thin. In NBA 2k's case, taking hard written code and trying to write over pre existing code. This is why when patches are released, the game doesnt play nearly as smooth or authentic as it did fresh out the box.

There's no such thing has "hard written code" vs. "patched code". There's no tensile strength that weakens when code is changed. Code can be rewritten or fixed. Patches apply the binary difference in the art, data, or compiled executables.

There are good fixes, rushed fixes, and bad fixes. That's it. When patches produce worse gameplay, it's because it hasn't been fully thought out or tested (see 2k15 patch 4). When it has been well conceived without introducing systemic errors, it significantly improves gameplay (see 2k16 stepback accuracy fix).

The danger of patches producing worse gameplay is largely a process issue where sweeping reactionary changes are made without rigorous testing. It has nothing to do with the technical malleability of code out of the box vs. when it's delivered in a patch.

Last edited by Sundown; 10-03-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2016, 11:44 PM   #32
Banned

All I want fixed is the option to set the coaching strategy without having to play every single game..

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »