Home

PLEASE FIX THE OFF BALL DEFENSE

This is a discussion on PLEASE FIX THE OFF BALL DEFENSE within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: PLEASE FIX THE OFF BALL DEFENSE

I think my biggest problem with this is that my team ALWAYS goes for a steal on the pass into the paint and it ALWAYS puts them out of position. And there is no way for me to tell my team "Hey, stop going for those steals and just hold your position."

As soon as the AI passes the ball into the paint my defender will go for a steal and almost always give up a basket due to being out of position. It's infuriating.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 7

Agreed with everything said here. I give up. I'm too frustrated to play this game anymore. I just want to play offline My League where I have competent teammates.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baebae32
Offball cuts are a movement issue. The offensive player disengage animation is significantly faster than the defensive players reaction. Go watch how a defensive player reacts when they get back cut. They always do a slow sideways hop animation and this compounded with the fact that passes are tethered to the recipients creates your issues.

In the paint offball defense totally needs lot of work. Offensive players just roam the paint freely. However in real life players are always being contacted by their defender in the paint. No one roams the paint without some sort of body contact

This game really needs passing angles in some fashion and also needs the angle of the pass to be affected by on ball pressure. All defense in basketball starts with on ball defense. All the off ball defensive settings in 2K are great but they arent effective as they could be until real life on ball pressure is better replicated
Yeah I've noticed this too. Defender gets in a defensive stance whenever the offensive player gets close. I tried to control my center and stop this from happening and couldn't control him from getting into a defensive stance. Part of the issue is the passing itself. Lead passing is a canned 2 man animation.

In 2K the 2 man animations are unbreakable and will slide players that aren't a part of the animation out of the way. This is also what the lead pass does. What makes it even worse is the boost of speed that players will get while receiving a lead pass all while sliding your defender out of what little position he had in the first place. Combine all of that and you have a Roy Hilbert dropping 40 on you from all the open layups he will be receiving.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterfry1994
This definitely needs to be fixed. The past two games I played I had Robin Lopez drop 35/15 and Asik 20/20 on me of mainly wide open layups due to this. It's frustrating. I was able to hold Wade/Butler to under 30pts combined and still lost.

I'm going to test this out by bumping Defensive Awareness to 85 and Hands to probably 70 and probably trying to set the off-ball defense to tight on the opposing centers.

If anybody else has other ideas that'd be great.

I have recently had a lot of success by actually doing the opposite of what you're going to try (pressure to tight on the big men). What I am doing at the moment is setting the entire team to Gap off-ball pressure and only changing it to moderate (not tight or deny) for complete dead eye shooters like Klay, Steph, and Korver.

What this does is seems to deter the CPU from spamming passes in the paint and encouraging them to shoot threes. Even with the Off-ball set to Gap, you can still usually get a good contest if you do it manually. I've not had a team shoot over 40% from three using this strategy (only used it on against the CPU though).

The points in the paint for my opponent drops dramatically using this strategy. I've had games where I kept them under 30 and never had any of the crazy 50-70 games I was seeing before.

Give it a shot and let me know if it works for you as well.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinthc0003
I have recently had a lot of success by actually doing the opposite of what you're going to try (pressure to tight on the big men). What I am doing at the moment is setting the entire team to Gap off-ball pressure and only changing it to moderate (not tight or deny) for complete dead eye shooters like Klay, Steph, and Korver.

What this does is seems to deter the CPU from spamming passes in the paint and encouraging them to shoot threes. Even with the Off-ball set to Gap, you can still usually get a good contest if you do it manually. I've not had a team shoot over 40% from three using this strategy (only used it on against the CPU though).

The points in the paint for my opponent drops dramatically using this strategy. I've had games where I kept them under 30 and never had any of the crazy 50-70 games I was seeing before.

Give it a shot and let me know if it works for you as well.
I'll try this. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #14
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

It's still there, but it happens a lot more to players who you are playing tight on.

Also I try recognise who is about to drop into the paint. I switch to his man, and LT/L2 him for a body up animation.

Ive done that the past 2 games, and have only been burned by the issue twice.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #15
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

Defense on 2K17 is by far the worst in the series, period. Last update? I was improving massively and now it's back to the way it was.

CPU still spamming the paint but playing slower meaning every PG isn't pushing the ball. 90% of their points are in the paint and it's pissing me off. Tired of the CPU having advantages. All of your teammates are idiots. The CPU isn't. None of your teammates contest shots, try to deflect passes or do anything. I usually have less offensive rebounds because I am efficient mostly but the CPU is getting as many offensive rebounds as I do defensive (mine are always 40 or more). It's getting ridiculous with my teammates. Most of the steals in the game is because of me not my teammates. 2K16 wasn't like this and you didn't have brain dead AI teammates.

I do play now mostly and it's bad. Also, fastbreak is also the worst I have ever seen. Same thing with the CPU. They always catch you or when you start the break your teammates don't even try to go to the paint, they seem to drift to the perimeter or in the pinch post. They are literally scared like there are black widow spiders or cobras in the paint.

Offense except fastbreak is fine with this game but they need to concentrate on the ****ing defense, seriously. It's not fun to play defense. I have to control all of the players but I usually do man to man but I have to do everything because the CPU will somehow find the open man. Tired of this ****. I am fuming. The defense (your teammates always) is the worst in a 2K game and it needs to be fixed ASAP. I don't care about these shooting tweaks. 2K17 is not simulation whatsoever. I can't imagine how cheesy it is on PNO and I don't want to find out. CPU cheese is pissing me off and it needs to be fixed soon. It's one thing to want a challenge with the difficulties but it's one where you have no advantages.

P.S. I am also tired of the D and F grade shooters lighting me up and you contesting any shot will go in. Play all the defense you like but it goes in. The same shots you do will not. I didn't believe in scripts but this game seems to be scripted. No amount of defense is going to help. It's atrocious. The CPU does what it wants and it's going to continue. They are in love with ISO and feeding the paint. I rather have the out of the box gameplay where everyone was pulling up for 3. I am better at perimeter defense than this invincible paint **** the CPU can do 24/7 and you can't do much about it. I had enough. I will play this weekend to see if this latest update is any good but it's not fun. Seems like every time I turn my PS4 on I have to relearn the game because of all the silly changes. 2K18 has to fix all of these problems because I might not be able to bare it much longer.

Sorry for the rant but this had to be said and Sam Phan's defensive settings aren't moving the meter either. You're better off having it on Auto. Doesn't change a thing. **** this defense in this game. It's the worst. You're lucky to get the CPU down to 48% FG but they usually are 50-60%. It's ridiculous.

Last edited by Hellquist; 10-06-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #16
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm averaging around 40 points a game per 36 with my undersized PF Lockdown defender just by cutting to the hoop at the right time. I'm on Superstar... Something must be done.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »