Home

Why is the glass always half fulled?

This is a discussion on Why is the glass always half fulled? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2016, 12:49 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Why is the glass always half fulled?

I think playing off-ball is fun. I used to do it all the time in the 2K7, 2K8 to 2K10 days. Basically, I had a house rule that said whoever I scored with on offense would be who I played the entire defensive possession with. No switching. This was fun because it gave me the experience of playing as all 5 positions on defense, guarding different players for an entire possession, playing smart help defense, rotating, etc., as well as "roleplaying" various defenders on the defensive possession (I would play differently depending on the player). It's a different experience and quite fun, IMO.

Lately I've been playing on-ball because that's also a lot of fun. I think playing whichever way you want is your own call. I can beat the AI or I can beat a player using the defender. A lot of times it's even easier to exploit poor off-ball defense with back-door cuts or good passing anyway. If the player controlling the off-ball defender isn't good at rotating, help defense, etc. etc., they will get burned a lot.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:50 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAidNoSugar
Lol off ball playing is mad weak no matter how you put it. That's no different then looking for moves to exploit in the park/PROAM area. If people wanted to play AI then they would do that, but at the same time what can you do lol. Give someone the opportunity to take the weak way and they will most of the time. Personally why I don't care for PNO or MyTeam because of it.

Around 2k11 - 2k14 people played on ball most of the time and it was fun. Now it seems everyone looks for a weak way out just because they thirsty to advance. You can say let people play their game but why even play online then??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man I don't even play online and this is exactly why. Maybe someone enjoys playing off the ball, it is what I primarily do offline because I do not enjoy on ball defense because it is so favored in the offenses favor; I cannot even imagine it online with lag and exploits.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:53 AM   #11
Rookie

KoolAidNoSugar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogurtProducer
Man I don't even play online and this is exactly why. Maybe someone enjoys playing off the ball, it is what I primarily do offline because I do not enjoy on ball defense because it is so favored in the offenses favor; I cannot even imagine it online with lag and exploits.

I never have issues playing on ball. If a pick and roll happens of course I switch to the big but I'm always back to the on ball player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2016, 12:58 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 9

Aggressive but smart on-ball defense can be effective online. If you apply some pressure and can still stay in front of your man for the most part you can play decent D. I find it better to play more aggressive than give the opponent too much space to get a head of steam with dribble moves, etc. If you just lay back and let them go to work it's going to be more difficult, IMO.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:01 AM   #13
MVP

I think we have demonized offball unessecary

People playing on-ball have clearly a disadvantage as a) there is a big input lag online

b) AI plays really bad help defense

To be honest defending is a 5 man issue. I prefer to be able to watch the whole court to read my opponents plays and try to help when I feel I am needed.

If CPU was better on help defense the above would not be needed.

That being said it is very difficult to watch your whole defense (like you do in offense) when you try to stay in front of your player. For me it is hardbreaking to play the best possible on-ball defense to be punished by a lead pass to the paint where my Center is 2 ft away, or by an open 3 out of an off-ball screen when none of my defenders reacted.

CPU plays much better on-ball defense, than it does in rotations

To each their own i guess, but off-ball defense is by no way exploiting a game mechanic neither is overpowered

I ain't gonna apologize to anyone of how I play especially if I don't abuse any game mechanics

Yesterday a guy called me "cheeser" because i torched him with PnR. Is it my fault that he wasn't able to defend a pnr? Should I stop calling for picks just because he was a bad pnr defender?

Last edited by kabamaru; 10-08-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:25 AM   #14
Banned

jax01's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaxxbearsxxx
Speaking of breaking a fair game, this is beyond one of the most frustrating things about the 2k community. The main purpose of playing human players is to get away from the AI..then we run into people like you who value winning too much, to the point of not caring about playing a good game. This isn't to condemn you or anything, this isn't a triggering frustration. I just think the off-baller is breaking the code and it's not up to the other guy to compensate for that
Lol you playing the wrong mode dude. 1vs1 inherently has AI teammates. You should play mypark or pro am, thats whata no CPU is supposed to be. Sim doesnt mean play on-ball. What if someone wants to play passing lanes? 1vs1 is actually 1 human controlling 5 players. How he chooses to do that is the strategy.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:40 AM   #15
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6

I don't like the idea of "hiding" offball but it is a choice. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using all 5 players on defense to fight thru screens, hedge, contain, watch back cuts, etc. I use a mix and basically guard the nearest threat. If the user doesn't read the court well I'll cheat over off ball and make him find the weakside shooter. It's a legit basketball strategy. The whole 100% on ball thing isn't wise and just makes me think many who do it don't even want simulation basketball and would prefer streetball.

XBLGT: tjor24
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderphantom
The whole 100% on ball thing isn't wise and just makes me think many who do it don't even want simulation basketball and would prefer streetball.
Exactly.

Most of them are ball hogging using right stick like maniacs trying to find an inch of space through input lag. They don't even call for a screen.

In any case basketball SIM should NOT be about stick skills. Should be more about basketball IQ.

It is already too much stick skill based. This is not Call of Duty or something

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »