Home

Why is the glass always half fulled?

This is a discussion on Why is the glass always half fulled? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Why is the glass always half fulled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru
So everybody should play the game you play it? If I choose a certain freelance do you have to play the same too? Or it would be too uneven?
Ppl can play how they want bro. Just stating facts. Every team has their own offense as well so no we dont have to play similar styles offensively. Offball vs offball? Great, do u. Offball vs onball? The former can be used as a crutch. The latter? There is no crutch. Ur at the mercy of ur human opponent and natural human error. Its uneven bro. Not telling anybody how to play tho, just stating facts.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 9

I disagree. I actually play better on-ball D than the CPU does, lol. CPU is too good at times, yes, but with aggressive and smart on-ball D you cause way more disruption than the CPU would. Also, if someone's playing off-ball they better know how to rotate when I start swinging the ball around or they will get burned at some point. You just have to be patient and catch them slipping.

For the record I've already beaten the Warriors many times online with the 76ers in 2K16, including against those who played off-ball D. Off-ball D usually means back-door cuts for layups as well as many other opportunities to catch them slipping (like putting the player they're controlling in a pick and roll situation, or scoping the defense to see who they are controlling and exploit them, etc.). It's more about learning your opponent's tendencies and play-style and adapting to what they throw at you.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
I disagree. I actually play better on-ball D than the CPU does, lol. CPU is too good at times, yes, but with aggressive and smart on-ball D you cause way more disruption than the CPU would. Also, if someone's playing off-ball they better know how to rotate when I start swinging the ball around or they will get burned at some point. You just have to be patient and catch them slipping.

For the record I've already beaten the Warriors many times online with the 76ers in 2K16, including against those who played off-ball D. Off-ball D usually means back-door cuts for layups as well as many other opportunities to catch them slipping (like putting the player they're controlling in a pick and roll situation, or scoping the defense to see who they are controlling and exploit them, etc.). It's more about learning your opponent's tendencies and play-style and adapting to what they throw at you.
I agree bro. I know i play better defense than the cpu but that lag online is quite the humbling experience lol. Which is why i know for sure going offball online overall is more of a crutch than playing onball d. Human error is one thing, but u add that lag delay to it from playing online, its a more challenging experience. I still take the challenge tho i just know the motivation behind others who dont.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 0

You have to play a mixture of on and off-ball in this game in order to be successful, that's just how it is. If you want to play off-ball the entire game that's fine too, but believe me I know how to beat the AI so you might be making things a whole lot easier.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:42 PM   #37
Rookie

I play 100% on ball defense vs the opposing PG

My games start out with me up for the most part until my opponent realize im guarding the PG everytime, and they run to a full blown iso.

Its very difficult to guard someone on the sideline in 2k view at least .

Also its very difficult to stop backdoor cuts off ball.

Then i end up losing, but i stay playing on ball.

Im getting better, but this is indeed the hardest way to play.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #38
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitdabull
I play 100% on ball defense vs the opposing PG

My games start out with me up for the most part until my opponent realize im guarding the PG everytime, and they run to a full blown iso.

Its very difficult to guard someone on the sideline in 2k view at least .

Also its very difficult to stop backdoor cuts off ball.

Then i end up losing, but i stay playing on ball.

Im getting better, but this is indeed the hardest way to play.
Like anything you have to practice. The game has a lot of deep controls and a bag of tricks you can use to your advantage. I don't really find on-ball defense hard at all. Just don't let the opponent build up a head of steam to start chaining together dribble moves. You have to have some anticipation and pay attention to what they like to do. You also have to learn the right time to switch if and when a player gets by you.

If I can play good D with the 29th ranked defense in the game anyone should be able to, lol. I am talking about 2K16, though...
Old 10-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #39
MVP

As I said before, I play mostly offball in perimeter and onball in the post

I want to have full court vision on my defense to provide the extra help.to provide a switch when the opponent SG gets a screen for an open 3.

It will be very difficult to do that when trying to guard ball handler.

Obviously I will choose to guard the player who drives, or post-ups

Having said that, online input lag is a huge factor towards offball in perimeter.

Defense is reactive, so it is very hard to try to stay in front of your opponent who zigzags like mad for example, even with a very small input lag. Your opponent will break free and you concede 2 easy points from a dunk or a dish for a dunk.

No one can be competiteve online without a mixture of both

Playing strictly onball, you will be in the mercy of CPU AI. CPU AI can not reach human thought levels

Playing strictly offball you get punished enough. Badges are not activated, your CPU teammates tend to give too many shooting fouls, passes in the paint are too easy.

the mix can vary against different opponents.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #40
MVP

I had no lag online in 2K16 so I never had an issue with that. If there is indeed lag on the input, well, I wouldn't even play the game TBH. I've experienced that I want to say in 2K10 (don't quite remember), and it's a game-breaker for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »