Home

A Suggestion for Getting Badges (for Next Year?)

This is a discussion on A Suggestion for Getting Badges (for Next Year?) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
A Suggestion for Getting Badges (for Next Year?)

First off, I want to say I understand that mycareer is at least partially intended to progress my player and become better in online competition. This doesn't bother me. However, I can almost immerse myself in my career except for one thing: badge requirements. Plenty of badges I get easily, but thinking "now it's time to do 50 drop steps in a row" really ruins my enjoyment of the mode and makes it seem like 'a grind.'

I want to say one thing and then suggest a change. The first thing is because, for instance, to get pick pocket, you put the game on rookie and keep trying to steal the ball every time, I believe that this way of getting badges is negatively affecting gameplay online. That is, it's not teaching anyone about basketball, just instant gratification and button mashing.

My suggestion is: What about if once you meet an attribute requirement (because imo I still think that's necessary, but it's non-essential for the argument; when you meet *some* requirement...) you get a call from x player, one for each version of a badge, and can schedule a 'drill' or some sort of a tutorial that you have to complete with a certain score in order to get that level of the badge.

They could become more advanced going upwards and could teach people actual basketball IQ by putting them in mock scenarios that are a set difficulty level. Could be a dribble course with defenders, could be rebounding starting at a certain position vs one or two players, contest a shot and run to steal the ball being passed, etc.

Good idea?

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: A Suggestion for Getting Badges (for Next Year?)

I like it! Would you have only one shot at doing a drill? What happens if you fail.

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #3
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

OVR: 0

People would just buy VC and get badges without really playing mycareer, So I don't really agree with this. There should probably be a max ammount of move types that go toward badge progression per game. that way you don't find yourself doing the same thing over and over throughout two min quarters. This way people that actually earned the badges by putting in the work would have something to show.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:04 PM   #4
Pro

MaskedPhenom's Arena

OVR: 8

If 2k decides to keep HOF badges in the game they should only be obtainable by actually playing on HOF difficulty. Would be nice to have harsher requirements for earning badges if you decide to just put the game on rookie to get them.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy59
People would just buy VC and get badges without really playing mycareer, So I don't really agree with this. There should probably be a max ammount of move types that go toward badge progression per game. that way you don't find yourself doing the same thing over and over throughout two min quarters. This way people that actually earned the badges by putting in the work would have something to show.
You would have to pass an increasingly tougher test each time in order to get a gold badge, which would mean you had achieved some level of actual mastery of the skill... I don't think you could get it if you weren't already good at it. And if you were good at it, then... why does it matter? What about people who 'put in work' mastering the skills, not the ones who have put the game on rookie and played 5 12 minute quarter games.

As for what happens when you fail: well, my idea was that you would have to reschedule, but that may be too harsh because I feel like people are gonna be raging out if they failed. Not only that, but people could just reset their system.

I remember in Live something you had to play 3 point contest and hit every 3 on superstar (its hardest difficulty) to get Larry Bird unlocked, and it took me a whole night to do that. Probably some luck involved, too. Something like that I think would be great, then for badges teach people actual bball plays (thru drills) that might lead them to playing better online.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »