Home

PS4 Pro Will Run NBA 2K17 at Native 4K Resolution, 60 FPS with HDR Support

This is a discussion on PS4 Pro Will Run NBA 2K17 at Native 4K Resolution, 60 FPS with HDR Support within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: PS4 Pro Will Run NBA 2K17 at Native 4K Resolution, 60 FPS with HDR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamAgain
The main reason you guys can't run 2k17 @ 4k60 on PC is most likely VRAM limitations. The 970 is limited to 3.5gb of VRAM and 2k is using 4gb+. Simply put - the 970 is not a 4k capable GPU in most scenarios. It's more of a 1440p (or maybe even 1080p at this point) card.

Consoles on the other hand are designed differently and can take full advantage of their 8gb of ram.

This is why, in general, most console ports on PC have been getting out of control on vram usage. It's a mix between poor optimization and just how the game engines are designed in general. Properly optimized games or PC exclusives are using much less VRAM than the typical lazy console port.

And yes the PS4 Pro is as powerful or more than a 970. It's using a card slightly lower than RX 480 specs which is slightly faster than a 970.
I have played several games in 4K on Ultra settings @ 60 FPS with the 970, but they were older games. Not being able to play 2K in 4K @ 60 FPS on Ultra is because the card is not good enough overall. The 970 isn't even recommended as a 4K card to begin with. Most people would tell you that you can't do serious 4K gaming with a 970 (with modern games, anyway).
Old 10-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
My PC can't handle what a "dedicated device" can? That's not true. A powerful PC rig will handle anything a console can do and still have resources to spare (as it's been for many years now).

It's nice that they can develop for a "dedicated device" but even with Windows 10 running and several apps open a powerful PC can do more than a console, lol. Also, the latest consoles are basically back to PC-style architecture anyway.

I'm not saying consoles are bad or anything. They serve their purpose (for now, until PC gaming in the living room becomes more of a common thing). They have a large community of players and exclusive games, etc.
The statement I made had nothing to do with your personal computer. I'm talking about in general. People always try to make this argument based on a 1 to 1 comparison. It was the same mistake digital foundry made based on public info without actually seeing the games. Once he saw the games he had to retract his statement. You can't compare X GPU has X amount of flops on my PC is stronger than a $400.00 dollar machine. And the reason is simple there is so much over head on a PC with what they are sharing resources with.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #59
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
The statement I made had nothing to do with your personal computer. I'm talking about in general. People always try to make this argument based on a 1 to 1 comparison. It was the same mistake digital foundry made based on public info without actually seeing the games. Once he saw the games he had to retract his statement. You can't compare X GPU has X amount of flops on my PC is stronger than a $400.00 dollar machine. And the reason is simple there is so much over head on a PC with what they are sharing resources with.
This doesn't really address what I said, though.

If the PS4 Pro's GPU is "slightly faster" than a 970 GTX, then in my opinion that is not going to be a card that can really play a graphically demanding modern game on ULTRA settings at 4K and maintain 60 FPS.

On low or medium settings, maybe the "slightly faster" 970 GTX can do 4K @ 60 FPS. But that's my whole point. Average consumers see buzzwords like "native 4K", "60 FPS" and "checkerboard rendering" and could get the idea that this console is a little more advanced than it possibly may be.

I'll wait and see but I'd be pretty amazed if a new $400 console can have as advanced graphics as a great gaming PC. It just doesn't add up, IMO.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:59 AM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
This doesn't really address what I said, though.

If the PS4 Pro's GPU is "slightly faster" than a 970 GTX, then in my opinion that is not going to be a card that can really play a graphically demanding modern game on ULTRA settings at 4K and maintain 60 FPS.

On low or medium settings, maybe the "slightly faster" 970 GTX can do 4K @ 60 FPS. But that's my whole point. Average consumers see buzzwords like "native 4K", "60 FPS" and "checkerboard rendering" and could get the idea that this console is a little more advanced than it possibly may be.

I'll wait and see but I'd be pretty amazed if a new $400 console can have as advanced graphics as a great gaming PC. It just doesn't add up, IMO.
Nobody is claiming that it will.

Also you have to remember most games will be targeting 30 FPS on the PS4 Pro because console gamers are tards and think it's just fine.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:00 AM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 10

Quote:
Right, they leave that part out of the marketing. You have to think of how the "average consumer" views this type of marketing. If you asked one of them about the 4K consoles they likely think the graphics will be the best-of-the-best because they are 4K. It was just an observation I made on how they are marketing these 4K consoles.
That's the thing. This spec stuff will go right over the head of the average consumer so these things only really bother a PC head or someone who knows about these things. All you need to tell these guys is it's a better performer than the original and that's be enough.

To be honest the only people questioning and worrying about what the pro and Scorpio really can do are those with good PCs or good knowledge of what can do what.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
That's weird, because people with great PCs can't even do 4K @ 60 FPS in 2K17. I have a Geforce 970 GTX and probably can't play 2K17 @ 4K@60FPS.
With a few fps drops on cuts and all i can run the game fine at 4k...Yall making it sound like nba 2k17 is crysis 5..No its really not
Old 10-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
I have played several games in 4K on Ultra settings @ 60 FPS with the 970, but they were older games. Not being able to play 2K in 4K @ 60 FPS on Ultra is because the card is not good enough overall. The 970 isn't even recommended as a 4K card to begin with. Most people would tell you that you can't do serious 4K gaming with a 970 (with modern games, anyway).
For 4k single gpu anything of 980Ti or higher
Old 10-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #64
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETERMINOLOGY
With a few fps drops on cuts and all i can run the game fine at 4k...Yall making it sound like nba 2k17 is crysis 5..No its really not
On Ultra settings the 970 GTX would not maintain 60 FPS in 2K16. Don't remember specifics but it was not smooth. Of course you can run games in 4K on lower settings. That's my whole point.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »