Home

2K18 - one wish: no more cut-scenes.

This is a discussion on 2K18 - one wish: no more cut-scenes. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2016, 11:57 PM   #33
Fino Alla Fine

KingTocco's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2K18 - one wish: no more cut-scenes.

Making two separate versions of the game makes no sense financially, marketing-wise, and a myriad of other reasons. They will probably continue with the story path because a lot of people do like it and it makes this sports game different than a lot of others for this reason. FIFA just started doing something similar this year with their Journey mode.

A lot of people on here are vocal about not liking it just as they are on Reddit. I would caution that usually people that are unhappy with a product or with specific features are more vocal and/or willing to complain. People that are enjoying it are usually spending their time playing it. Just offering some insight as I have some experience in that realm.

I do think the cutscenes should be skippable at the very least.

Lakers
Juventus

PSN: KingTocco
Old 10-20-2016, 12:02 AM   #34
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist
Idk what the hell this guy is talking about. The cutscenes add immersion, plain and simple. I like a product that takes presentation seriously.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic?

How is it immersive if they're talking about me and Justice Young even though he's not on my team any more? That is the definition of BREAKING immersion.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:05 AM   #35
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTocco
Making two separate versions of the game makes no sense financially, marketing-wise, and a myriad of other reasons. They will probably continue with the story path because a lot of people do like it and it makes this sports game different than a lot of others for this reason. FIFA just started doing something similar this year with their Journey mode.
What about people like me that just want to play online in Park and Pro-Am? I don't wanna play the "story" (just a bunch of regular season games with some cut scenes), but I have to in order to level up.

Story-wise, the modes are already separate... it doesn't make sense that I'm an NBA player playing in a park and pro-am league - none of it really makes any kind of sense.

The only way it makes sense is if you're hoping I'll hate MyCareer so much that I'll buy VC in order to shorten the experience of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2016, 12:08 AM   #36
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTocco

A lot of people on here are vocal about not liking it just as they are on Reddit. I would caution that usually people that are unhappy with a product or with specific features are more vocal and/or willing to complain. People that are enjoying it are usually spending their time playing it. Just offering some insight as I have some experience in that realm.

I do think the cutscenes should be skippable at the very least.
Bro, it makes plenty of sense to make 2 games. They can use one pool of resources so they don't have to double the amount of needed asset creation. The point is, the MyCareer has gotten so huge to the point that it could justify its own game. In that own game it would be a lot deeper than it even is possible now if they have a separate or split team working on that side of the game exclusively. Then the other game could be a simple simulation basketball game with online modes but if you need that MyCareer/Park stuff you can mess with the other game.

I've felt for awhile now that they are cramming too many modes and too much "stuff" into one game.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:13 AM   #37
Rookie

kobe2theMAX's Arena

When I play a sports a game I have NO interest in watching a movie either. It's a total bore and a waste of time in a sports game. Let's just play the game already, not watch the game.

Last edited by kobe2theMAX; 10-20-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:17 AM   #38
MVP

ph33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
Bro, it makes plenty of sense to make 2 games. They can use one pool of resources so they don't have to double the amount of needed asset creation. The point is, the MyCareer has gotten so huge to the point that it could justify its own game. In that own game it would be a lot deeper than it even is possible now if they have a separate or split team working on that side of the game exclusively. Then the other game could be a simple simulation basketball game with online modes but if you need that MyCareer/Park stuff you can mess with the other game.

I've felt for awhile now that they are cramming too many modes and too much "stuff" into one game.
I don't think making 2 separate basketball games by the same company is as easy as you think it might be.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:19 AM   #39
Rookie

DatGuy12x2's Arena

I don't mind the cutscenes. If they are there, I'll watch them. I won't miss them if they take em out, but it does break up the monotony of game, practice, repeat.

I understand why people wouldn't want them though.

They should give two options when starting my career, letting you choose whether or not to play with cutscenes. I seen someone say two separate games, I think that would be a stretch. I don't see a problem with letting people choose though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2016, 01:26 AM   #40
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
I don't think making 2 separate basketball games by the same company is as easy as you think it might be.
But I think we won't know until it's done. 2K has money, resources, etc. All I'm saying is that the MyCareer mode has already taken on a life of its own. It's one of the biggest things going in sports video gaming. Not to mention the Park is taking off in a big way as well. If they really want to take that aspect of the game to the next level they're going to have to invest in it as a separate game.

The 2 games could share assets, animations, etc. etc. They don't literally have to build each from the ground up. Just either split the current team or add new members, make 2 teams and let each focus on each individual aspect of the game with some crossover. Let the MyCareer guys flesh that out to the maximum using the same engine as the other game, etc., and then let the sim offline/online matchmaking modes in the other game do their thing as well. It could be difficult, yes, but 2K is no doubt making a killing off their game for the past 6 years at least. If anyone could do it it would be them.

It's probably wishful thinking but I would like to see it just to get a decent, basic sports sim basketball game that focuses on the realistic gameplay more and doesn't have to cater to the Park/MyCareer type guys. Nothing against them but 2K is trying to balance to 2 different fan groups and they might be better off just making 2 games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »