Home

2K18 - one wish: no more cut-scenes.

This is a discussion on 2K18 - one wish: no more cut-scenes. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: 2K18 - one wish: no more cut-scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTofu
I understand what you're saying but have a feeling that this is one of those ideas that sounds good in theory and would be an absolute disaster in reality.

It really makes no sense from a business perspective and for them to take such a drastic action, it would have to make sense from a business perspective.

Aside from the business perspective it causes other issues too. I play with friends online and that's pretty common. I'd be upset if 2K made a decision to make impossible to play a portion of my friends on purpose over cut-scenes or even the gap between Park and sim. Which modes go with which game? MyTeam, Pro-Am? I play all the modes throughout the year. If you split the modes up, am I going to have to buy both? I'm sure the community will react well to choice.

Or maybe you duplicating the work and both games have many of the same game modes but slightly different? That seems pointless, it'd be easier to just add more settings for cut-scenes, make cut-scenes skippable, disconnect MyCareer from Park/Pro-Am, more branching in MyCareer story, etc.

Maybe if 2K made a game akin to NBA Jam or NBA Street, that would be worth a second game. Otherwise, I just don't see how the gap is big enough to warrant 2 games.

I can see the threads already, "2K19 - one wish: one game"
From a business perspective it could make sense if we saw the budget allocation, etc. A businessperson can make it work.

Right now MyCareer and Park are the major features of 2K (I'd wager that they've been the biggest draw to the game for several years now). I think you could make a Park/MyCareer game and a basic basketball game using shared assets and resources with the goal to make one "like" an NBA Jam (although more grounded in reality) and one like a simulation product.

The thing I'm noticing is that the gap between what people expect from online play in the Park/MyCareer is starting to grow wider than those who want a basic basketball game (offline as well, but also old-school Franchise users or online match players). I'm not going to think the whole thing out for 2K but I think there is some opportunity to diversify here. Each game could even sell for let's say, $40. Or even $30. But the point wouldn't be that you can't play with your friends, it would be you'd be able to buy the product that you're most interested in, with 2 options from the same company that are quite different.

If 2K would like to bring me on as an adviser or consultant as to how to make this work they can message me.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #50
Fino Alla Fine

KingTocco's Arena

OVR: 0

No matter what you say or how to try to rationalize it, making 2 separate 2K games makes zero sense for many different reasons.

I agree there are flaws with the current MyCareer, cutscenes should be skippable, and that not everyone wants to play MyCareer just to be able to play Online with a high rated player.

Lakers
Juventus

PSN: KingTocco
Old 10-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #51
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTocco
No matter what you say or how to try to rationalize it, making 2 separate 2K games makes zero sense for many different reasons.

I agree there are flaws with the current MyCareer, cutscenes should be skippable, and that not everyone wants to play MyCareer just to be able to play Online with a high rated player.
If you say so. I do recall there being an NBA Street game being made while NBA Live was being at the same time. Both were pretty popular as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #52
Fino Alla Fine

KingTocco's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
If you say so. I do recall there being an NBA Street game being made while NBA Live was being at the same time. Both were pretty popular as well.
...that's not even remotely close to the same thing as what you're talking about.

No MyPark is not "Sim" but it is not anywhere near as arcade as NBA Street was. 2 completely different games IMO.

Lakers
Juventus

PSN: KingTocco
Old 10-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #53
MVP

Quote:
...that's not even remotely close to the same thing as what you're talking about.

No MyPark is not "Sim" but it is not anywhere near as arcade as NBA Street was. 2 completely different games IMO.
It doesn't have to be exactly what EA did with those 2 games. But the games could be different enough to interest 2 different types of gamers (2 types that already exist within 2K's fanbase).

Shoot, 2K could even take it one further and even make their second game somewhat similar to Street. Just tone it way down but make it like Rucker Park type stuff. I think that could work.

The MyCareer/Park/etc. is already dominating the game they make now so I think it's big enough to warrant its own thing.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #54
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn33
With all do respect to everyone on this thread....No. MyCareer without cutscenes is boring and like every other game.
You are entertained by the cutscenes?

I agree it would be boring if they just took out the cutscenes, but I think the original poster suggested REPLACING them with something better - not just getting rid of them.

I think they should focus their time/money/resources on recording more commentary specific to my performance. Record more anecdotes for me (talk about how my career is going, talk about how i'm affecting the team, talk about my future, talk about my stats).

Right now, I'm playing Ground Hogs Day 2k - EVERY DAY THE COMMENTARY IS THE SAME. It's damn annoying.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #55
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Quote:
I agree. I don't think they need 2 games. I'd rather they separate the modes than make 2 games... It's not a bad idea, it's just one I'm pretty sure they won't do.

The original poster didn't suggest 2 games, btw, so I see people attacking the "no 2 games" thing, but ignoring the original point of the thread:

The MyCareer "story" is bad. If this is supposed to be an RPG (story-driven and progression) driven - I'd say it's the worst RPG storyline I've ever seen.

I'd put the story of my favorite RPGs up there with some of the best Movies and Books around... they have insanely good/immersive stories - 2k does not come close.

If 2k wants to be more immersive, focus on ON-COURT drama and it will be way more satisfying. And let MY CAREER PERFORMANCE drive the story (like a true rpg would).

I don't want a dead dad and fake mom and fake girlfriend.... I want a fake, but fun career. I want to hear the crowd chant for me and hear the announcers talk about me and what I'm doing in the game. Right now, they don't even seem to know I exist.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 8

Minimal presentation mode ftw.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »