Home

Am I the only one enjoying this game?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one enjoying this game? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #25
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6
Am I the only one enjoying this game?

The game is cool. I am just disappointed in a lot of things but you can tell this is potentially the best gameplay if they could just get some things right. That's what disappoints me.

But as of now for the game as a whole. I would say 2K16 is better than 2K17 all around for me when adding up things including fun factor. And as of now, it's not even close for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy

Last edited by Jrocc23; 10-23-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #26
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Am I the only one enjoying this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRuelz
You sold the game because "sliders are not for you" OK.

I still don't think you're getting what he's saying. Everyone can't adjust sliders for the mode they typically play. I like to play H2H online and everything that involved MyPlayer but I cannot adjust any sliders in that any of those modes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy
Old 10-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 8

I'm having some fun but there are some major issues (mainly your defenders getting sucked into screens and other animations).

That said I was thinking last night the difference in how I play now vs. years go. I actually started playing basketball games with dr. J vs. Bird on the PC in 85 or so. I remember EXPLOITING the glitches and failures of the programming in the 90s on the various incarnations of Live insteaed of worrying about "sim basketball." Then apparently I got spoiled. Instead of enjoying dominating the CPU, I get frustrated with the lack of realism when I SCORE

The life of a 2016 gamer
Old 10-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #28
Pro

SkillzFromThe6's Arena

OVR: 0

I feel like the only people enjoying the game is MyLeague/MyGM players lol
Old 10-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #29
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by psydefx
i'll be enjoying this game when they tune up the fundamental problems with it. now if you're okay with them, then you're either lying to myself or are just straight up ignorant to them.
Who said that the game was perfect and not to change anything??? Pretty much most people are enjoying the game, but are really waiting for the next patch too.

Are we supposed to stop playing until it's fixed? I paid for it, so I'm going to play it while they're fixing it. It's like playing with He-Man or GI Joe action figures that were missing an arm. I'm going to get my money's worth one way or another.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillazKill
I feel like the only people enjoying the game is MyLeague/MyGM players lol
I'm happy with the game, and yes, I'm a MyGM player. Too much grind in MyCareer, and the player base has soured me on playing online.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #31
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I think that one of the primary issues is that a lot of people, and I am most definitely one of them, let their expectations for where they thought the gameplay would be by now, get way too high. We didn't think that the same issues with CPU boosts, paint/transition/rotational defense, etc, would continue to be a such a problem version after version.

It's kind of a video game equivalent to the uncanny valley phenomenon. They've gotten so close with so many aspects of the game, that the areas where they fall short stick out so glaringly that for some of us it renders the game, ironically, unplayable. Seeing the potential of what it could be, I just can't accept where it actually is. It is what it is.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #32
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I think that one of the primary issues is that a lot of people, and I am most definitely one of them, let their expectations for where they thought the gameplay would be by now, get way too high. We didn't think that the same issues with CPU boosts, paint/transition/rotational defense, etc, would continue to be a such a problem version after version.

It's kind of a video game equivalent to the uncanny valley phenomenon. They've gotten so close with so many aspects of the game, that the areas where they fall short stick out so glaringly that for some of us it renders the game, ironically, unplayable. Seeing the potential of what it could be, I just can't accept where it actually is. It is what it is.
I'm not picking on Mike, not in the least, because I know that he comes here when he doesn't have to and everything he says to us is said in good faith. That said, if he were free to be candid, I think he would say the things he intended us to experience in this game have not been able to be delivered.

So it's not just us creating our own bubble of expectations. Those of us who pay close attention are disappointed because 2K has not delivered what they intended, and people like Mike (as opposed to the people in marketing) have in fact earned our trust:

Quote:
SKILLS MATTER
Each dev cycle we have a million things we want to accomplish on the gameplay front, but if I had to sum up the main goal for NBA 2K17 it would be this: MAKE THE SKILL OF THE GAMER MATTER.
Quote:
Ball handling is re-tooled for NBA 2K17 as well. Last year we introduced Signature Size-ups that included dozens of Iso animations for the top ball handlers in the league. This feature was well received as it let our fans create some great mixtape highlight plays off the dribble and raised the bar for signature style. One thing that bothered us though was that the Signature Size-ups didn’t have that 1-to-1 feel of chaining together moves that our past games had. You would input a single command and the ball handler would play out a long mocapped sequence all by himself. This year, we broke all of the Signature Size-ups into shorter combo moves that can be strung together based on user input. So for example, Steph Curry’s signature “between the legs to behind back combo” from last year is now performed by manually doing a between the legs cross directly into a behind the back move. The end result is a system that’s very robust, basically allowing the gamer to string together whatever sequence of moves he/she wants while still maintaining the beautiful motion captured sequences that our fans enjoyed in NBA 2K16. These combos can also be mixed and matched so you can equip your MyPLAYER with Steph’s Between the Legs combos, Jamal Crawford’s double behind the back, and Kyrie’s double cross if you want. The new system is much more engaging for the user, creates a wider skill gap in ball handling and really makes you feel like you’re breaking defenders down as you would in real life.
Quote:
THE BEAUTY OF BASKETBALL
Usually when you spend a lot of time working on things like responsive controls and respecting the user’s input 100% of the time, it comes at the cost of visuals taking a hit. NBA 2K has always been known for its beautiful animation and lifelike movement. That’s something we never want to sacrifice. So it was very important to us that, even with the advancements in responsiveness and control, that NBA 2K17 animated even more smoothly than any past NBA game before it.

This is where our animation tech team stepped up to the plate. They spent a greater portion of the year analyzing our animation system, motion capture pipeline, and blending techniques and made some huge improvements in all areas. The first thing you’ll notice when you sit back and watch gameplay footage of NBA 2K17 is just how smooth everything looks. Our team worked heavily on a process we call pose match editing. They created a system that identifies and works to repair problematic animation transitions for thousands of animations in our game.
Quote:
We also spent a great deal of time working on collisions between the ball handler and the onball defender. Body ups and rides have much more natural interactions and do a better job at respecting the momentum and skills of the players involved. We really wanted to avoid “snatching” players into multi-actor animations that didn’t make sense and let the natural physics of the collisions play out as they would in real life. In fact, most of the time you see a ball handler reacting to contact in NBA 2K17, he’s not in a 2 player animation at all. And defensively, it was paramount that onball defensive movement was tight in order to not give the offense an unfair advantage in 1-on-1 situations. We’re very happy with where the meta game netted out this year as it feels really good to be able to read the ball handler and lock him up properly when you anticipate well
The problem here is not lack of 2K developer intent, talent or effort, in my opinion. They ambitiously added some complicated new systems in the game this year under a mandate from the suits to deliver a month earlier than usual. They just fell short this year of delivering what they hoped and set out in good faith to do.

Last edited by LorenzoDC; 10-23-2016 at 03:54 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »