Home

What happened to the free feel?

This is a discussion on What happened to the free feel? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: What happened to the free feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexicphish
I think 2k needs to take a page out of Ubisoft's playbook and take a year off. If you don't know Ubisoft is holding off on releasing another Assassin's Creed, a series that has seen an annual release since 2009, to "evolve the game mechanics". Stepping back the same year the movie is coming out to work on game mechanics takes some stones but they're doing it.

2K's legacy problems are catching up to them. Every year they have to come up with new features so people will buy the game. These new features take serious man power to hammer out. They also come with a host of bugs and problems especially when they have to release the game earlier than they're use to. This keeps them from taking a serious crack at legacy issues that have plagued their game for years.

Sadly I just don't see them taking a year off until it hurts them in their wallets like it did Ubisoft.
Even in an off year, they are still releasing the Ezio collection for current gen, so those Benjamins will still be flowing into their coffers.

Maybe 2k could turn their servers on for some of their older versions for a year instead of releasing a new game.

I personally think the game needs a completely new engine, as it seems the mechanics are still being worked out on engine built for last gen, but with beautiful current gen graphics.

Last edited by Yesh2kdone; 10-27-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertheles109
Prior to the game being released, 2K17 was praised for the feel of the game. I can attest to feeling more in control and less animation heavy as I had the game prior to release.

A few patches later,

- The CPU defense can beat you to a spot most times no matter how well you dribble. It is half the reason this game felt different from 2K16.

- They can catch up to you and get back in front of you after you already pass them

- Keeping players on your hip or behind you on a fastbreak... fast break speeds were perfect before game was patched.

-The CPU still has the ability to ISO and explode but it is now lacking on the User's end.

Most of the main selling points on 2K17 are now lacking, in my opinion. Is anyone else experiencing this after the patch's began?

Still a great game with great potential but I wish it wasn't changed so drastically, which feels like a regression when playing
This what happens when you begin for patches, complain a lot and harass the developers. Game was great out the box. Now it plays like it's on crack. Players zipping around the court like the game speed is on 100; shot releases seem to be early as hell for everyone. Like now I feel like I have to look at the shot release now. **** is pathetic man smh
Old 10-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #51
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertheles109
Prior to the game being released, 2K17 was praised for the feel of the game. I can attest to feeling more in control and less animation heavy as I had the game prior to release.

A few patches later,

- The CPU defense can beat you to a spot most times no matter how well you dribble. It is half the reason this game felt different from 2K16.

- They can catch up to you and get back in front of you after you already pass them

- Keeping players on your hip or behind you on a fastbreak... fast break speeds were perfect before game was patched.

-The CPU still has the ability to ISO and explode but it is now lacking on the User's end.

Most of the main selling points on 2K17 are now lacking, in my opinion. Is anyone else experiencing this after the patch's began?

Still a great game with great potential but I wish it wasn't changed so drastically, which feels like a regression when playing
This what happens when you begin for patches, complain a lot and harass the developers. Game was great out the box. Now it plays like it's on crack. Players zipping around the court like the game speed is on 100; shot releases seem to be early as hell for everyone. Like now I feel like I have to look at the shot release now. It is pathetic man smh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #52
Rookie

Celtics4Life's Arena

Good thread, good reads, and many good suggestions.

In my opinion Prelude was a complete different game as well. Someone mentioned "Prelude was on Pro that's why" No that's not the case. I have pretty much played every level so far with My Player. Even on Rookie you get all the same bad animations and super lock down defenders. Something definitely changed between Prelude and release. The even before patch I noticed it right off the back. So don't think patch had anything to do with it but more of making CPU harder to beat.

Many of you mentioned CPU should not have lock down defender with every player, they should not have suction defense, should not have turbo boost to catch up in every fast break, and should not be able to bump and toss you left and right. These are symptoms from 2k16 too though.

Like all of you when I played Prelude I was like WOW they did it! Game actually feels free and I can dribble without sticking to someones hip or watching CPU play like Gary Patyon on prime with everyone. But, ya then the game was released and I said here we go again.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #53
Pro

MrBallaBoy21's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm less concerned about the the onball body checking than I am with the offball contact and controls. The game just pulls me and drags me every which way in MyCareer when I'm simply trying to get to a spot on the floor.

If I try to spot up at mid range on the baseline I get pulled to the 3 point line. If I'm trying to move to the box I get a long drawn out 2 player animation that pulls me out of bounds to the stanchion.

I understand that when they put mechanics like this in the game it takes a while to perfect, but It's still pretty annoying.

I also can't change direction during a dribble drive with a simple crossover without losing the ball in this game. I am not a fan of these loose ball physics...

Game has been like this since release for me.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #54
Banned

the bumping and picking up of your dribble on drives is too much for elite ball handlers and slashers. i don't mind it activating for players like mike dunleavy, but not for mj or westbrook.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #55
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

This game really has no physics, just animations... people affect your animations based on their attributes vs yours, how close they are to you, and what buttons are being pushed (the people defending you in Prelude were crap and it's on Easy).

My tip would be to go where the animation goes... if you come down off a rebound and you want to go right, but your dude goes left - go left.

In that way, you will have more control over how your animations end up working out for you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #56
Pro

zrohman's Arena

Wasn't everyone complaining about how goofy the animations originally looked and now people are complaining that they feel restricted buy animations? There's a balance that needs to be struck. The freeness of NBA Live always made it feel like a great game but the animation is always looks so crazy and wonky. And many years in 2K there has been a struggle where to pay always want the animations to look good but at the expense of making players bogged down and making the experience plus free. Hopefully a balance can be struck and I agree it feels a little more restricted then it did previously

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »