Home

Let's Talk Steals - How Do You Think It Should Improve?

This is a discussion on Let's Talk Steals - How Do You Think It Should Improve? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
Pro

Jhawkfootball06's Arena

OVR: 2
Let's Talk Steals - How Do You Think It Should Improve?

I've been seeing a lot of complaints about steals, but I haven't heard of any suggestions for how to improve or remove "steal spamming". For me at least, in Pro-AM and MyPARK I feel like whenever I hit the steal button my guy gets frozen for about 2 seconds where I can't do anything.

It was very costly to me last night when I would try and go for a steal vs. a Sharpshooter in Pro-AM where I didn't get it, but the 2 second delay where my guy is frozen allowed the shooter to get open. So honestly, I feel like the delay is long enough as is. What are your thoughts?

Pro-AM
Steal delay is there, spamming steals freezes your guy for about 2 seconds. Results in a high chance of a foul or with mild (low?) success a steal.

MyPARK
Steal delay is there. What needs to be addressed is no foul limit, and the steal spamming at the at the top of the key when inbounding.

Blacktop
No foul limit, spamming steal button doesn't prove to be very costly. The risk vs. reward is worth it as you can easily switch between players if one guy gets frozen. Also needs to address the steal spamming at the top of the key when inbounding.

Online Play - (MyTEAM and Head to Head)
Haven't had much play with this, but spamming steals I assume would act similar to how Pro-AM acts as you have low to mild success with a high chance of getting a foul.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Let's Talk Steals - How Do You Think It Should Improve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkfootball06
I've been seeing a lot of complaints about steals, but I haven't heard of any suggestions for how to improve or remove "steal spamming". For me at least, in Pro-AM and MyPARK I feel like whenever I hit the steal button my guy gets frozen for about 2 seconds where I can't do anything.
The argument isn't so much about on ball steals as it is about someone spamming the button as soon as you catch the ball and throwing you into an animation, but there's no penalty for them.
Although, I feel on ball steals are not right either.

There's too much dribble move spamming and even if you play great defense or don't move at all, you'll eventually get thrown into an ankle breaker animation.

If you time a steal perfectly nothing happens, but if you spam it a couple of times something will.

Dribblers can basically get away with anything. They can dribble through you, put the ball right in your stomach as you hit the steal button and nothing happens. Or maybe you'll get put into a steal animation and they get an easy bucket for being a bad ball handler.
And back down dribbles that cannot be stolen at all.

In my opinion, the fix would have to be fixes to multiple things to actually work.
You cant make steals harder, but allow ball handlers to get away with so much and having moving screens be legal.

But, you can tone down steal button spamming by adjusting the fouls for doing it. Should be an easy fix.

Part of that problem is that 2k has the settings wrong for big men ball handling.
A big man can back someone down and you can be spamming the steal button right on the ball and nothing happens. But, as soon as he picks up his dribble you can spam it and he'll lose the ball.
It should be the exact opposite, as big men rarely get stripped when they have two hands on the ball, but most will losing the ball when double teamed while backing down.
This is the reason that steal spamming is so prevalent. Because its most prevalent in the paint.

Sorry, I could go on all day with the problems and easy solutions in this game.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
Pro

I gotta agree the stealing in the paint is too strong. Especially when your posting up or you want to run a play through your big it's impossible because spamming the steal button works.

It's hard to play like bogut or other good passing bigs when the chance of you losing the ball is too high.

Last edited by tt500; 11-02-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #4
Rookie

increase the difficulty this will fix everything in this game
Old 11-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbentley
increase the difficulty this will fix everything in this game
Wrong.
The easiest example is moving screens.
There are many many more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #6
Rookie

I dont know but Im getting real sick and tired of my MAXED OUT Playmaker getting ripped by Centers and players who aren't lockdown defenders.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #7
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

In the park, you can counter the stealing cheese that happens when you're stuck passing at 3point line.

Just rotate your body with prostick the opposite direction of the defender. When he tries to steal, he'll foul you. You could turn him all the way to a D- if he keeps doing it.

There is a counter for everything... balance is difficult, but its not as bad if you try and learn how to counter the cheese.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #8
Pro

nyk_fatboy's Arena

put the steal foul out limit at 6 fouls in my park i bet you'll see alot better basketball being played

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »