Home

Sam Pham illustrates what's wrong with 2K17

This is a discussion on Sam Pham illustrates what's wrong with 2K17 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Sam Pham illustrates what's wrong with 2K17

I've played 5/6 career games on HoF and although double teams have been eased, the cpu still has free reign to pass to their team mate standing under the rim, without my team mates doing anything but standing around (often out of bounds), whereas the cpu defence seems a little more ridiculous at flying through the air and mirroring cpu controller input. The cpu is getting 2/3 times the amount of free throws per game because of this. KAT has fouled out in the 3rd qtr of 2 of those games due to recovery fouls resulting from this same issue.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 8

I love sim basketball as much as anyone. Heck I spent an inordinate amount of time in 30 team control just to make sure every contract, trade, roster decision, rotation, etc is "realistic."

that said, I take a bit of an issue with people who always respond to AI madness with a tutorial on defensive settings. Yes, i get that defensive settings can be important, but 2k is missing the boat if they expect every player to have the expertise or desire to constantly adjust defensive settings every quarter or even every game just to have the defensive AI not act like morons.

There is a fine line between sim basketall and overkill and IMO needing to update your defensive settings every 3 minutes manually because the auto AI sucks, goes over that line.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

Lol the defense has been trash since last year. All the issues that he brought up in this video were in the game last year and the fact that they weren't corrected is utterly pathetic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #12
Banned

As an online player I appreciate this video because I felt I was the only one noticing the little things like that. Defense is pathetic!!!! Guys wondering around and not getting to their assignments while a guy spots up for 3 is crazy!!! Then people think shooting is the culprit. No, the fact that defenders leave their man open consistently is the problem.

The game is fundamentally broken due to this. Then when the dev(s) come to the site ppl look up to them like their done a good job. Yet, it's the very same individuals is to why the game has the fatal issues it has. NO, they have not done a good job!!! They are in fact part of the problem. Is just pathetic and it's unacceptable.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #13
Pro

MyTeam Online is a mess. Very casual.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 9

I play offline and it kills me the 1st defender always runs to the middle of the paint to play defense! This causes so many issues with the game itself.

Since the patch I'm seeing my C getting beat down the court and the CPU passing the ball to an open man. At times they will be looking at the ball, go for the steal but miss it for an easy score.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #15
Rookie

THE RESAON THIS HAPPENS

02:01 - 02:47 .... Francis is in the zone because of two reasons. you either have help rules ON or your have pre-rotate ON for the person francis is defending. so because its a 3 on 2 break from 02:09 until 02:19 francis is gonna play the lane because he is the last line of defense. he will not commit to penny because you cant fully commit on a 3-2 so instead he play's the middle until 02:19. the moment it was no longer a 3 on 2 thats when curry became the immediate threat because penny had someone close enough to cover him.

01:02 - 01:19 ...... Klay Thompson was trailing and clearly out of position to defend so at 01:06 thats when Hamilton decided to pick up because help rules is on and Thompson lost his defender. Thompson recovers but Hamilton contest the shot instead of going back to his man. i think this happen because maybe shot contest is set to always or intense D. Although i could be wrong with this one.

01:34 - 01:45 .......BRUHHHHH

00:42 - 00:52 ....... No idea, **** always happens.

Just my thoughts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #16
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

A few responses to various other comments in this thread. My caveat is I play offline MyLeague, never PNO.

Yes, these are legacy issues.

Yes, this stuff happens offline, especially in transition. In transition players are routinely not aligned to play defense and leave opponents unguarded. Against the CPU, the CPU also gets boosts to ratings/speed/acceleration on fast breaks while user fast breaks get nerfed in the opposite direction so the CPU can catch up. The CPU can make full court passes to unguarded cutters to the hoop off made shots and the user can do no such thing. User passes on the break can't be received in stride.

I played 3 post patch 48 minute games yesterday and this stuff still happens. However, it may have been softened a bit for me because I edited every player in the league's Pull Up in Transition tendency rating to 0. The addition of tendency editing to the quick edit menu is extremely helpful in MyLeague.

I have yet to see evidence that defensive settings actually affect transition defense at all. Transition defensive logic seems to be a thing apart in terms of coding from half court logic/coding. However, if help settings do have some effect in transition, the effect is routinely overridden by transition logic coding.

I think 2k has a very difficult technical time of doing transition logic with the complexity of all player locations and ratings/threat variables to crunch together for each defender in the few seconds available during transition. I think as a design decision they don't compute those coding decisions for each player as they do in half court.

Instead I think they use a kind of 5 player shortcut of decision making and player alignment and defensive assignment to simplify things, and the result is a system of defense that often fails to replicate basketball, as in some of Sam's examples. I think that's the root of why player IQ, ratings/attributes and individual player settings logic don't apply in transition. That's my theory, anyway.

Offline defensive AI logic is somewhat better post patch 5 but still has issues. So far I think those issues have been reduced because I have yet to see players pushed across the floor by moving picks, and off ball defender movement seems slightly better moving around off ball picks (both user and CPU controlled). It seems a little more possible to navigate through and around screens as a user without getting magnet sucked to a standstill by contact. Teammates on defense seem to be making fewer (but still some) decisions that contradict your defensive settings for them.

I'm glad Sam is calling this out though, as he has a good platform for doing it.

If OG is telling Sam on twitter that he doesn't know what he's talking about, and is referring to 2K game play, then OG has no one, and I mean no one, to blame but himself or his bosses. The absolute silence from him and Czar to explain anything about what they put in the game this year beyond a couple of drive by streams is, to me, an inexcusable failure. OG always says "winners win." I don't see much winning in this silence.

Last edited by LorenzoDC; 11-07-2016 at 10:42 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »