Home

NBA Teams on 2K17 HAVE NO IDENTITY!!

This is a discussion on NBA Teams on 2K17 HAVE NO IDENTITY!! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

OVR: 0
NBA Teams on 2K17 HAVE NO IDENTITY!!

All teams play like this:

1. Perform a million screens.

2. Chuck up 3's and long 2's.

3. Spam lead passes.

4. Abuse the pick and roll (point guard and big) all game.

5. Draw too many shooting fouls. Sliders are on 60 from the update but I get way too many team fouls like before.

I have played against every team and they all play the same. I don't know if it's Play Now or what but it seems like all the teams are identical. At least in 2K16 the teams played like themselves.

2K made it clear that they wanted every team to be like the Warriors. It's clear as day. I am only playing NBA Today games until February when I do MyLeague, so maybe the gameplay is exaggerated with the 2000+ game speed and **** but that's what I am noticing. Playing against the Nets as the Knicks and the Nets are moving the ball like they are San Antonio. Shooting a ton of threes. Doing a million screens. I'm beating them by 40 since the 2nd quarter but that's not the point. All teams on 2K17 play like this on offense and defense all game long. I had to vent because I've played the game since the new update happened. The problems we talked about are still there but slightly improved. It's how they wanted this game to play out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
MVP

Re: NBA Teams on 2K17 HAVE NO IDENTITY!!

Listen man you're definitely not alone lol. I don't understand the long 2's either. You could play against the Rockets and they wouldn't run the 7 sec. or less offense that D'Atoni runs. I wish they had something like team tendencies. Or maybe actually have some people study these teams closely and implement their play style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #3
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18

It'd be really nice to have something like the Custom Tactics feature on FIFA for each NBA team. Or, at the very least, have the existing gameplan settings actually mean something.
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 11-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
Pro

dramachild11's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellquist
All teams play like this:

1. Perform a million screens.

2. Chuck up 3's and long 2's.

3. Spam lead passes.

4. Abuse the pick and roll (point guard and big) all game.

5. Draw too many shooting fouls. Sliders are on 60 from the update but I get way too many team fouls like before.

I have played against every team and they all play the same. I don't know if it's Play Now or what but it seems like all the teams are identical. At least in 2K16 the teams played like themselves.

2K made it clear that they wanted every team to be like the Warriors. It's clear as day. I am only playing NBA Today games until February when I do MyLeague, so maybe the gameplay is exaggerated with the 2000+ game speed and **** but that's what I am noticing. Playing against the Nets as the Knicks and the Nets are moving the ball like they are San Antonio. Shooting a ton of threes. Doing a million screens. I'm beating them by 40 since the 2nd quarter but that's not the point. All teams on 2K17 play like this on offense and defense all game long. I had to vent because I've played the game since the new update happened. The problems we talked about are still there but slightly improved. It's how they wanted this game to play out.
The reality is that NBA basketball is a point guard league now in that most offensive sets are based around the PnR and getting up 20-30 3pt attempts per game that's just the way professional ball is played now, but even with that said I'm positive that your gripe is legitimate when you say that teams don't have have any real difference in how they play cause you can watch the Spurs play the Kings and see how one team continuously swings the ball and one doesn't on nearly every half court set but when you play 2k that difference doesn't readily show itself (its there at times but not on a consistent enough basis)
Old 11-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #5
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

Exactly! The Kings and the Spurs play different styles of basketball. They aren't identical like in 2K. It's frustrating as hell and it's not fun to see teams play nothing like their real life counterparts. Bad teams don't play like they are bad because the ratings, tendencies and grades don't matter. The CPU does what it wants. It's coded that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

I noticed this by playing many offline games against the CPU in 2K16. All the teams seem to behave the same way, which is weird because I could have sworn years ago this was all being sorted and even boasted about by 2K devs. I distinctly remember things like "each team will play like they do in real life", "team-specific tendencies", etc.

The game is still fun, though, but this aspect is a bit strange. Is anyone else really noticing this or is it just a case of overlooking small, subtle differences?
Old 11-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #7
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Now that the patch is out I would check out some custom rosters. Those guys can make the offline game more enjoyable. Forget the official 2k rosters....
Old 11-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #8
Rookie

33JAF's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Now that the patch is out I would check out some custom rosters. Those guys can make the offline game more enjoyable. Forget the official 2k rosters....
Yep. The player tendencies are neglected in the official 2k roster. They are really bad. If you find a quality custom roster or spend time making your own, the game will change significantly for the better. 2k doesn't even realize how badly they are holding their game back with these half done rosters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »