Home

Defense has finally gone too far in this game

This is a discussion on Defense has finally gone too far in this game within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2016, 06:51 PM   #57
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Defense has finally gone too far in this game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Once I lowered it, it helped the 1 on 1 game tremendously. I wouldn't call it a band aid fix for me. It pretty much made the game playable. I agree that it needs to be abolished. It looked good the very first few times you saw it but after seeing it 15 times a game, it became a nuisance. Once I lowered the body up sensitivity, I only see it a few times a game now and it really only happens to bad ball handlers now.

I think the constant bumping created more artificial miscues than it was designed to. For instance, at default, dribbling into a defender meant him using psychic abilities to guess the exact dribble move you pulled, bump right into you in the middle of it and knock the ball loose. With it low, the defender actually lets you dribble and those animation don't trigger. Allowing you more freedom of movement with the ball without the worry that some hidden force is pulling you into a animation.

Plus its helped out with fast breaks. My players still run the break like crap but now I can finally burst out in front of the defense for a breakaway slam. That slider seemed to be the cause. I feel that's how it should have been.
It's a band-aid fix because 2K's most popular modes are online. You can't lower any sliders in MC, MT, PNO, etc. If you could play the game with custom adjustments then half of these threads wouldn't need to exist. 2K has to fix these problems in the game on their end. Anything else is a band-aid solution.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:51 PM   #58
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Another issue that's still a huge part of one on one interactions, and has plagued the game for years, is when a human engages turbo the cpu defender immediately becomes nearly flawless and overly physical. It's as absurd as every other issue with defense. How can the devs think that when the ball handler wants to explode and take advantage of a lane, speed difference, size etc, that actually using the turbo button should be detrimental is truly a mystery to me.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #59
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BegBy
Another issue that's still a huge part of one on one interactions, and has plagued the game for years, is when a human engages turbo the cpu defender immediately becomes nearly flawless and overly physical. It's as absurd as every other issue with defense. How can the devs think that when the ball handler wants to explode and take advantage of a lane, speed difference, size etc, that actually using the turbo button should be detrimental is truly a mystery to me.
Theyre trying to punish people who abuse/spam turbo and iso, but they did it in a black and white way with no grey area.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #60
Rookie

meccs's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdatyt
It's a band-aid fix because 2K's most popular modes are online. You can't lower any sliders in MC, MT, PNO, etc. If you could play the game with custom adjustments then half of these threads wouldn't need to exist. 2K has to fix these problems in the game on their end. Anything else is a band-aid solution.
The culprit for all of this is VC. They don't let you adjust the gameplay in these modes because they are heavily connected to buying stuff with real money.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #61
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by meccs
The culprit for all of this is VC. They don't let you adjust the gameplay in these modes because they are heavily connected to buying stuff with real money.

The patch seemed to have helped this a bit. Haven't played go many games yet but the bumping and stuff is a little less frequent which makes it a bit easier to beat guys off the dribble now even if they try to body you up on the drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #62
Banned

jax01's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BegBy
You don't need a different camera angle to see that defensive play like that from a weak perimeter defender, who just happens to be a big (making it worse) vs a guard isn't realistic in any way. Even if it were Leonard it'd be too much.

I truly don't understand how anyone can try to justify it and be taken seriously. I fully understand people liking the game but when they take evidence like this and then champion it/white knight it, their agenda can become easily misconstrued as strictly personal or argumentative just for the sake of it.
Dude camera angles make a huuuuuuuuuge difference in gameplay and what the user sees or is able to pull off. The camera angle he used is bad for isomotion but good for shooting. You gotta factor in these advantages and disadvantages. Not even saying I disagree with OP, but some of us need more thorough evidence that CPU defense is broken than just from seeing a couple possessions in a bad camera angle on the highest difficulty.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:58 PM   #63
Rookie

Peninc's Arena

OVR: 7

Since the latest update, I've tried to get back into the game and properly start my Lakers franchise mode. But it is issues like that mentioned in the OPs post that take me out of the game. Last night I caught a fast break pass full speed with Kawhi Leonard at half court and Lebron who was under the rim when I caught it, was able to get in front of me by the time I got to the rim and strip the ball. I didn't just end the game. I turned off my PS4 all together. I don't think there is any modern videogame that is more infuriating, will cause you to want to break your controller, than NBA 2K. I certainly can't think of one. Most issues are forgiveable but the catch up speed and recovery of the AI ruins the game. I understand difficulty is hard to scale as players learn how to exploit systems. But what I'm seeing with the CPU is not basketball and it ruins an otherwise stellar game for me. It's to the point now where I don't take dev blogs seriously. I understand they try to constantly improve. But I remember distinctly reading that CPU recovery was now more natural and balanced, and that speed with ball and without ball ratings would improve the overall gameplay experience. What happened to that? It is virtually nonexistent in the current product as of the latest 1.06 patch.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #64
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peninc
Since the latest update, I've tried to get back into the game and properly start my Lakers franchise mode. But it is issues like that mentioned in the OPs post that take me out of the game. Last night I caught a fast break pass full speed with Kawhi Leonard at half court and Lebron who was under the rim when I caught it, was able to get in front of me by the time I got to the rim and strip the ball. I didn't just end the game. I turned off my PS4 all together. I don't think there is any modern videogame that is more infuriating, will cause you to want to break your controller, than NBA 2K. I certainly can't think of one. Most issues are forgiveable but the catch up speed and recovery of the AI ruins the game. I understand difficulty is hard to scale as players learn how to exploit systems. But what I'm seeing with the CPU is not basketball and it ruins an otherwise stellar game for me. It's to the point now where I don't take dev blogs seriously. I understand they try to constantly improve. But I remember distinctly reading that CPU recovery was now more natural and balanced, and that speed with ball and without ball ratings would improve the overall gameplay experience. What happened to that? It is virtually nonexistent in the current product as of the latest 1.06 patch.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
All I can suggest is slider edits. I agree with you that the cpu gets some sort of unnatural/unrealistic boost when it comes to speed, recovery time, lateral quickness, etc, but I was done with this game until this patch and now I am back to playing it.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's playable and at times it's pretty good. In the future I hope the devs really take note of how bad artificial boosts like this are, but in the meantime I have no issue with slider edits that neuter, if need be, cpu advantages. As long as I am seeing realism, I don't care what the sliders say.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »