Home

Did 2k patch explosiveness again?

This is a discussion on Did 2k patch explosiveness again? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-06-2016, 03:30 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Did 2k patch explosiveness again?

I don't think people realise that the speed boost animations are still being used by the CPU.

We can't execute escape crossovers anymore, but the CPU is able to break out of the signature rhythm dribble almost instantaneously and speed boost from that. The CPU can essentially 'animation cancel' and speed boost past us (lowering the shoulder and dribbling by you in an arc at a high speed).

We're still able to get these speed boosts and use them against other human players. However, sometimes, in PNO and other modes, people will just play off-ball and rely on the CPU to defend me.

I think a CPU on a human-controlled team is weaker than a CPU on a CPU-controlled team. Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and say 2K gives boosts to CPUs on CPU teams. Why? They're out-running me with slower players, they're abusing animations that we can't use as easily as human players, etc.

Try this. Go to practice -> use MJ -> grab the ball and run up and down the court. You'll see this 'sprint with the ball' animation where he throws the ball in front of him like he's meant to, running and dribbling with the ball.
This doesn't happen in game as often.
This should trigger far more often in a real game.
However, on fast breaks, I'll see my player running down the court dribbling like he's dribbling in traffic rather than in the open court.
Now compare the CPU. Unless you start bumping them, they will get into that correct run/dribble animation almost immediately and race away from you.

I think this is what contributes to the sluggish feel. Animations and 2K's choice of allowing the CPU to enter these animations very easily (which is fair, as the CPU knows how to trigger those animations), while the human player is caught in bad animations that hurt.

In effect, the animations allow the CPU players to move more smoothly compared to the human player and this affects our perception of 'sluggishness' and 'explosiveness'.
I've never had this issue with human players.
Another issue is that the CPU is capable of playing defense with boosted acceleration and speed ratings (or lateral quickness, I'm not sure). Either way, they can match your every move. This reduces your explosiveness, at least in terms of getting by those CPU defenders.
I've never had this issue with human players either. Humans who play on-ball D will make mistakes sometimes, and you'll blow by them.

To conclude, if you're playing 2K vs CPU, offline or whatever, you're screwed. The gameplay experience isn't at a desirable/acceptable level. However, if you're playing 2K vs a friend irl or online, you're mostly fine. Some stupid stuff still happens (and1 + fouling + stupid AI teammates), but that's tolerable to an extent. 2K is focusing more on the PvP experience and it's showing.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeassc
I don't think people realise that the speed boost animations are still being used by the CPU.

We can't execute escape crossovers anymore, but the CPU is able to break out of the signature rhythm dribble almost instantaneously and speed boost from that. The CPU can essentially 'animation cancel' and speed boost past us (lowering the shoulder and dribbling by you in an arc at a high speed).

We're still able to get these speed boosts and use them against other human players. However, sometimes, in PNO and other modes, people will just play off-ball and rely on the CPU to defend me.

I think a CPU on a human-controlled team is weaker than a CPU on a CPU-controlled team. Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and say 2K gives boosts to CPUs on CPU teams. Why? They're out-running me with slower players, they're abusing animations that we can't use as easily as human players, etc.

Try this. Go to practice -> use MJ -> grab the ball and run up and down the court. You'll see this 'sprint with the ball' animation where he throws the ball in front of him like he's meant to, running and dribbling with the ball.
This doesn't happen in game as often.
This should trigger far more often in a real game.
However, on fast breaks, I'll see my player running down the court dribbling like he's dribbling in traffic rather than in the open court.
Now compare the CPU. Unless you start bumping them, they will get into that correct run/dribble animation almost immediately and race away from you.

I think this is what contributes to the sluggish feel. Animations and 2K's choice of allowing the CPU to enter these animations very easily (which is fair, as the CPU knows how to trigger those animations), while the human player is caught in bad animations that hurt.

In effect, the animations allow the CPU players to move more smoothly compared to the human player and this affects our perception of 'sluggishness' and 'explosiveness'.
I've never had this issue with human players.
Another issue is that the CPU is capable of playing defense with boosted acceleration and speed ratings (or lateral quickness, I'm not sure). Either way, they can match your every move. This reduces your explosiveness, at least in terms of getting by those CPU defenders.
I've never had this issue with human players either. Humans who play on-ball D will make mistakes sometimes, and you'll blow by them.

To conclude, if you're playing 2K vs CPU, offline or whatever, you're screwed. The gameplay experience isn't at a desirable/acceptable level. However, if you're playing 2K vs a friend irl or online, you're mostly fine. Some stupid stuff still happens (and1 + fouling + stupid AI teammates), but that's tolerable to an extent. 2K is focusing more on the PvP experience and it's showing.
With all due respect, I strongly disagree.

I have much better experiences offline rather than online. I tried online for the first time in years at the end of 2K16 and in the beginning of 2K17. Both were cheesy basketball experiences.

Playing against the CPU on Superstar with 11 minute quarters is great to me man. I can break them down, as long as I don't over-dribble and understand how they are playing me. And if they try to catch up to me after I break them down, it's either an AND-1 or a foul with two free throws.

Also, I can execute pretty fast breaks with a solid speed burst to the rim. When you first get the ball do not touch turbo... Push the stick at an angle if you have a clear path and then press turbo. You will get that explosion you desire to keep the defenders behind you.

Prior to the patch, I could agree with you almost 100%. I'm not sure if it's the PS4 Pro, the patch, or a combination of both because I understand where you are coming from.

The last two weeks I've been very happy with the gameplay against the CPU.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyk_fatboy
Good the speed boosting animation is kiddy cheese crap anyway and has always been overpowered. Adding a stamina to dribbling never truly fixed the pathetic speed boosting.

bro...that "speed boost animation" or "first step" as we call it in real life, is exactly how elite guards burst out of dribble chains. isaiah thomas, russell westbrook, jeff teague, lillard.....all of them are incredibly fast out of the dribble. it should not be taken out of the game because dudes dont know how to defend it. learn.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phriscaul
bro...that "speed boost animation" or "first step" as we call it in real life, is exactly how elite guards burst out of dribble chains. isaiah thomas, russell westbrook, jeff teague, lillard.....all of them are incredibly fast out of the dribble. it should not be taken out of the game because dudes dont know how to defend it. learn.
(^I agree with you.)

I've kind of come to the conclusion that if you can't stop something, ...something as fundementally organic as a, oh, I don't know, AN ELITE DRIBBLER HAVING ELITE SPEED OFF THE BOUNCE (cough, cough, First Step, cough). You take your sorry candy *** onto the internet and scream CHEESE! CHEESR! CHEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!! (as you fade into 2k oblivion while you wait for the 2k decade to come save you)

Quick question for the ladies and gents out there that cry about this stuff so frequently... Have you ever played basketball? No, no, no, not you and your horrible family members and friends with no talent. I mean, someone that can actually PLAY? Someone that you really SHOULD NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES leave open? That's a sharpshooter. You ever play someone that can blow right by your candy *** if you blink? Make your feet get all jumpy, because they have shifty handles? Playmaker.

Literally, people. The game came handicapped this year to ensure that there wouldn't be one particular build where you had to worry about all of those things at the same time. But you cry anyway. ...........there's always next year, I guess.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #21
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

I'm guessing it's either only for SS and the like, or they tied it to something different. I was still getting explosive steps on my slasher last night. These are a particular animation. Aldo, I couldn't get it in succession. One, wait about 4 seconds, another one.

Mayhaps they made it more realistic so kids would stop "Dribble, GO" ad naseum and actually have to make moves instead of one dribble->Burst.

Which, to be honest, the one spammable lazy Crossover boost is a CRUTCH for players that can't actually dribble well. It hides the lack of skill.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeSleepy
(^I agree with you.)

I've kind of come to the conclusion that if you can't stop something, ...something as fundementally organic as a, oh, I don't know, AN ELITE DRIBBLER HAVING ELITE SPEED OFF THE BOUNCE (cough, cough, First Step, cough). You take your sorry candy *** onto the internet and scream CHEESE! CHEESR! CHEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!! (as you fade into 2k oblivion while you wait for the 2k decade to come save you)

Quick question for the ladies and gents out there that cry about this stuff so frequently... Have you ever played basketball? No, no, no, not you and your horrible family members and friends with no talent. I mean, someone that can actually PLAY? Someone that you really SHOULD NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES leave open? That's a sharpshooter. You ever play someone that can blow right by your candy *** if you blink? Make your feet get all jumpy, because they have shifty handles? Playmaker.

Literally, people. The game came handicapped this year to ensure that there wouldn't be one particular build where you had to worry about all of those things at the same time. But you cry anyway. ...........there's always next year, I guess.
for me this is the crux of a lot of issues...even with the 2K guys. a lot of guys have never really been exposed to basketball at any level at all. not even high school.....so a lot of guys dont really understand the nuance of A LOT of movement on the floor. this is really the foundation of my frustration when im playing this damn game. for 2K to have all of the resources in the world available to them, they manage to screw up the nuance of highly competitive basketball every. single. year.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #23
Rookie

acetheredcomet's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Really? Even with HOF defensive stopper? Not surprised tbh 2k will always favor offense over defense. That's where the money is....
It is so sad that this is true, the worst is when I am not even defending him, I am defending someone else and my ankles still get broke.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #24
MVP

I don't think they should have gotten rid of explosiveness completely per se, but it could have been reworked to have a devastating effect on stamina and/or FG% when used in rapid succession. That way, you wouldn't rob players of knowing when and how to explode, while at the same time severely punishing other players who tend to "One dribble -> explode -> stop -> one-two dribbles -> explode -> stop -> one dribble -> explode" in an attempt to exploit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »