Home

Screens on This Game Are Ridiculous & Overpowered

This is a discussion on Screens on This Game Are Ridiculous & Overpowered within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Screens on This Game Are Ridiculous & Overpowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieK76
If you hedge out you won't get screened since you aren't following the guy around after the hedge it's just a hedge out and the PG defender then recovers. That way the big guys aren't getting screened. I see the horns setup all the time and never have an issue defending it with a hedge and recover process.
Quote:
My biggest complaint with screens is the amount of times you get sucked into them when you aren't anywhere near them and you even have pick dodger as a badge.
You stated that your biggest complaint is the amount of times that you get sucked into a pick.
Then you say you have never seen an issue with a hedge and recover process.

Do you play Pro AM?
With two bigs screening at the top and the PG going left and right around them, eventually, everyone gets sucked into a screen.
And this is why they run this offense.
There's no defense for it, because eventually, you will get sucked into a screen.

It's similar to what the ankle breakers were and to some extent still are.
Just spam dribble moves and eventually, no matter how good the defense or if an input is even entered by the defender, you will get the ankle breaker animation.

I understand defense, it has always been my favorite side of the ball to play.
2k has so greatly destroyed defense that no matter how good your stick skills, eventually, if the guy is cheesy enough, it will fail.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
You stated that your biggest complaint is the amount of times that you get sucked into a pick.
Then you say you have never seen an issue with a hedge and recover process.

Do you play Pro AM?
With two bigs screening at the top and the PG going left and right around them, eventually, everyone gets sucked into a screen.
And this is why they run this offense.
There's no defense for it, because eventually, you will get sucked into a screen.

It's similar to what the ankle breakers were and to some extent still are.
Just spam dribble moves and eventually, no matter how good the defense or if an input is even entered by the defender, you will get the ankle breaker animation.

I understand defense, it has always been my favorite side of the ball to play.
2k has so greatly destroyed defense that no matter how good your stick skills, eventually, if the guy is cheesy enough, it will fail.
But you aren't moving with the guy as he moves back and forth only hedging and dropping back down. You get sucked into screens when you are moving with the ball handler on that back and forth but not hedging. I'm beginning to think we have difference of thoughts in hedging. You are literally taking your bigs on the outer shoulder of their offensive guy and heading out on an angle which puts you far away from the screener and if the offensive player moves back the other way you drop back down below the screen.

You simply aren't playing the horns set properly.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:49 PM   #19
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Screening should be part of an Attribute that only the appropriate Archetypes can earn.

If your Archetype sucks at screening:
- % of Failure (foul) goes up
- The time it takes to actually set it goes up
- The amount of impact it has on the person that hits it goes down
- They are easy to run through

And if you're Archetype makes sense for it, then vice versa.

Not everyone can shoot lights out 3s like an SS or dunk crazy like Athletic Finishers - that is how it should be with Screens.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #20
Rookie

BigJizzle's Arena

2k is so offensive driven, they make sure all sharpshooter badges work properly but i still get caught in that struggle animation when getting caught in a pick and i have HOF pick dodger with my LDD. SMH still a broken badges after 7 patches.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #21
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieK76
But you aren't moving with the guy as he moves back and forth only hedging and dropping back down. You get sucked into screens when you are moving with the ball handler on that back and forth but not hedging. I'm beginning to think we have difference of thoughts in hedging. You are literally taking your bigs on the outer shoulder of their offensive guy and heading out on an angle which puts you far away from the screener and if the offensive player moves back the other way you drop back down below the screen.

You simply aren't playing the horns set properly.
Again, the most important question. Do you play Pro Am?
My guess from your explanation, is no.

The computer AI has a set program. There is no way to get an organic reaction from the CPU. They have a set program of what they will and can do. No amount of slider adjustments can change that!

I'll try to explain this to you as briefly as possible.

If your big hedges the screen, the PG wil start heading the other way. The offensive big will take a step inside and RE-screen the hedging big. The PG will then head back towards the now screened big and the defending PG will get sucked into a pick by the other big and then it's an open 3.

You can say what you would do against a CPU opponent, even if you are playing online against 1 other human, the CPU will only react as programmed.
Against 5 human opponents, there is no CPU programming.
Therefor, what you would do outside of Pro Am doesn't necessarily work when playing Pro Am.

2ks broken game has a default regardless of user input or controller setting sliders. That default is to suck you into picks. To suck you towards whatever guy your defensive arrow is pointing to. To suck you towards the guy you are supposed to be boxing out. To suck you towards the guy shooting if you jump, whether you were intending to try to contest the shot or jump for a rebound. And to suck you in awful directions when you have a guy boxed out and jump for a rebound.

Some of those things can be somewhat fixed with sliders, but you cannot eliminate them entirely.

Long story short, as mentioned above, 2k sucks at every aspect of the game and you don't have control of your player when it happens!

Last edited by awg811; 12-09-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811

Again, the most important question. Do you play Pro Am?
My guess from your explanation, is no.

The computer AI has a set program. There is no way to get an organic reaction from the CPU. They have a set program of what they will and can do. No amount of slider adjustments can change that!

I'll try to explain this to you as briefly as possible.

If your big hedges the screen, the PG wil start heading the other way. The offensive big will take a step inside and RE-screen the hedging big. The PG will then head back towards the now screened big and the defending PG will get sucked into a pick by the other big and then it's an open 3.

You can say what you would do against a CPU opponent, even if you are playing online against 1 other human, the CPU will only react as programmed.
Against 5 human opponents, there is no CPU programming.
Therefor, what you would do outside of Pro Am doesn't necessarily work when playing Pro Am.

2ks broken game has a default regardless of user input or controller setting sliders. That default is to suck you into picks. To suck you towards whatever guy your defensive arrow is pointing to. To suck you towards the guy you are supposed to be boxing out. To suck you towards the guy shooting if you jump, whether you were intending to try to contest the shot or jump for a rebound. And to suck you in awful directions when you have a guy boxed out and jump for a rebound.

Some of those things can be somewhat fixed with sliders, but you cannot eliminate them entirely.

Long story short, as mentioned above, 2k sucks at every aspect of the game and you don't have control of your player when it happens!
Yes we play Pro Am quite often.

If you are having issues defending the horns set you should be a little better off now that they reduced the effectiveness of shooting after over dribbling so in essence this should alleviate your issues.

Last edited by EddieK76; 12-09-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #23
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

I saw a Pro Am Team literally not miss a shot all game. Both teams were in the top 10 so apparently that's just how Team Pro Am goes these days. 2k the problem is not with contested shots, the problem is with OPEN shots. You should never be able to green a 3 from 30 feet. Three pointers should not be able to be green releases at all imo, just makes the game way too unbalanced.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #24
MVP

I see no issue with screens vs the cpu or in play now....

And online i think most people have a issue with screens because they sprint directly into them. Sprint into the chest of a big man you dont see coming IRL and the outcome isnt going to be pretty. going over and over a screen is a talent and even that talent requires anticipation and/or notification of when its coming.

A legit concern is getting sucked into screens that you avoid. I mean there should be contextual avoidance animations to respect that the screen is there, but if its avoided, it shouldn't be represented with a struggle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »