Home

Online games only: Would you remove defensive settings?

This is a discussion on Online games only: Would you remove defensive settings? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Online games only: Would you remove defensive settings?

Regarding line-ups no we are not.

But regarding unrealistic defensive settings like
Deny all
no help
Help and no rotation

that do not exist irl in total line-ups sure we are.

The majority of the games online in higher ranks of MyTeam or PNO are using one of these options
Old 12-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #18
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

By your logic, do you think the 5 out offenses all the GSW users are running should be removed too? Just wondering.

Im not a fan of removing defensive settings personally, but I do like Kushs idea of fatigue coming into play when using certain ones.

TBH, I dont feel any defensive settings are that over powering as of now. I have a couple pet plays and use manual cuts against the Deny All guys.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 12-11-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #19
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
By your logic, do you think the 5 out offenses all the GSW users are running should be removed too? Just wondering.

Im not a fan of removing defensive settings personally, but I do like Kushs idea of fatigur coming into play when using certain ones.

TBH, I dont feel any settings are that over powering as of now. I have a couple pet plays and use manual cuts against the Deny All guys.

Which is all we've ever wanted...punish the spam with fatigue, fouls and other REAL BASKETBALL ASPECTS....removing D settings? NAH.

I really like holding fouls...I hope they make an appearance like blocking fouls did this year.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

5 out offense is badly implemented in the game. It has been discussed again in the PNO thread by others. Teams irl play 5 out only for very limited time, and in most of the cases in dying minutes and when the team is trailing.

The fact that you can play full game 5-out is surely cheese.
By my logic every tactic that can not be viable irl basketball should be out of the game

Zig-zag left-right? Take it out

Half-court inbound and turbo? Take it out

Deny more than one player and in some cases the whole team? Take it out

Play 5 out for the whole game the way is implemented? Take it out

Have a Blake Griffin with 99 speed playing Point-Guard? No-way (NBA 2k15 Dunkers pack in My-Team)

Regarding deny all,Kushmir's idea could improve the game for sure. Stamina drain and fouls. But that would not fix the issue. 6 fouls in 20 mins are way to much for foul problem, plus in MyTeam you have the option to sub in you sub HOF player.

Also the stamina and foul would not work for no-rotating/ no-help defenses.

A player that would never help any team-mate on defense should be less fatigued.

1-3-1 zone was removed from NBA 2k14 even if it exists in basketball as it was considered OP and non-sim. I do not see why deny all shouldn't be treated the same way too.

TL;DR

Every setting possible that is not a viable tactic irl shouldn't be an option in the game either, especially online. It justs provides cheesers more weapons, OR in best case scenario it helps fight cheese with some more cheese.

And for me the criteria is not if it is OP or not. Most tactics have counter-tactics. But if it is not a realistic basketball setting, for me it has no position in a basketball game that is self-proclaimed sim.

What sim is there in Deny-all defense option?

Last edited by kabamaru; 12-11-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #21
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

No way. I don't see how people can play this game without changing the defensive settings. Look at how awful the help defense and pick and roll defense is.

I love playing Deny ball idiots. A simple pick and roll/pop destroys that and if it comes down to it, I'll just manual cut him to death.

Turbo down court every possession? Extend Pressure option.

If someone wants to play no help defense then run a pick and roll/pop and throw in a few slips here and there.

Deny ball is an awesome feature for shooters like Klay and Curry but anyone setting deny ball to 5 players is a fool.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
No way. I don't see how people can play this game without changing the defensive settings. Look at how awful the help defense and pick and roll defense is.

I love playing Deny ball idiots. A simple pick and roll/pop destroys that and if it comes down to it, I'll just manual cut him to death.

If someone wants to play no help defense then run a pick and roll/pop and throw in a few slips here and there.

Deny ball is an awesome feature for shooters like Klay and Curry but anyone setting deny ball to 5 players is a fool.
Hustle I usually agree with you but this time I can't

As I said, it is not about if I can counter it or not, it is just not ok to play such unrealistc games

In addition it IS actually effective. If it wasn't why would these people be playing in the higher seeds? Higher seeds are full of these people for a reason. These tactics are effective.

And in all fairness even if I could beat this cheese down every time (which I don't believe anyone can, npt every time) I don't know why I should be obliged to find reasons to counter a non-realistic tactic.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook

Exactly. 99% of online players can't recognize it anyway. I don't care what settings people put against me..at all. They all play in a similar manner. Turbo off inbound..next go baseline..then dump off to center..back out top zigzagging til they get in the paint. It's extremely effective and elementary. Also their turnovers are always very low since one person usually (PG or best player) always handles the ball. It's the "preferred" or best way to play if you want to win. I like to experiment with offenses and so on and turnovers are my problem. They are no closer to a "sim" game than 5 years ago. Cause the usual garbage still lingers in the game.

Last edited by Diceman7; 12-11-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #24
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru
Hustle I usually agree with you but this time I can't

As I said, it is not about if I can counter it or not, it is just not ok to play such unrealistc games

In addition it IS actually effective. If it wasn't why would these people be playing in the higher seeds? Higher seeds are full of these people for a reason. These tactics are effective.

And in all fairness even if I could beat this cheese down every time (which I don't believe anyone can, npt every time) I don't know why I should be obliged to find reasons to counter a non-realistic tactic.
No one's saying that stuff isn't effective...it works too well, you're RIGHT. But the game can't progress (or have features) if the answer to anything that can be abused is "remove it until its perfect." C'mon man...

I have a rule, don't post about something that happened in game for 24hrs. It helps you get your wits about you and cuts down on the rage posting...you're upset, I get it. No one likes to lose to exploits. But how does gameplay counter this stuff, how does it provide balance with Risks and Rewards?

That's the question you should be asking. We've reached the time of year that most of the gameplay loopholes still in game are going to STICK...that's the truth. How does it get fixed for 2K18 is what our focus should be.

Last edited by Kushmir; 12-11-2016 at 05:47 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »