Home

For online players only.....

This is a discussion on For online players only..... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
For online players only.....

This year when I play online I don't feel that the outcome is decided by stick skills or who has the better basketball knowledge. Im beginning to feel like outcomes are dictated by who gets the most brakes. Things like, will your cpu teammates get back on defense. Or will ur team act dumb with stupid fouls. Things like what dunk animations now determined If it gets block now, and has nothing to do with the players involved, ratings, or timing. If u do the wrong dunk animation it now equals a blocked attempted. Which is sad. This year I just feel like games are won and lost by things outside of your control. I have lost a lot of games this year against lesser players.

Anyone else feels like this ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
Rookie

Celtics4Life's Arena

Re: For online players only.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManCometh
This year when I play online I don't feel that the outcome is decided by stick skills or who has the better basketball knowledge. Im beginning to feel like outcomes are dictated by who gets the most brakes. Things like, will your cpu teammates get back on defense. Or will ur team act dumb with stupid fouls. Things like what dunk animations now determined If it gets block now, and has nothing to do with the players involved, ratings, or timing. If u do the wrong dunk animation it now equals a blocked attempted. Which is sad. This year I just feel like games are won and lost by things outside of your control. I have lost a lot of games this year against lesser players.

Anyone else feels like this ?

There was a thread complaint about high blocks in the past on here. I don't play my team but agree blocks are crazy high. It appears everyone no matter position can block anyone no matter position. For example PG blocking Centers no problem. Huge flaw indeed.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
Banned

In regards to MTO I'm seeing this.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtics4Life
There was a thread complaint about high blocks in the past on here. I don't play my team but agree blocks are crazy high. It appears everyone no matter position can block anyone no matter position. For example PG blocking Centers no problem. Huge flaw indeed.
Because everyone in the NBA can block depending on circumstances. If the ball is exposed it can be blocked. Obviously we're looking for different animations and how they trigger, but given that we can't control that, what's more anger inducing?

Would you be angrier if a guard got a block on a center(Which is the discussion the Block thread devolved into, discussion on how this is unrealistic despite several video examples being posted), or would you be angrier if the center leaned to the side, put the ball over his head, and the player you're controlling got a block animation....but the hand went through the ball because he's a guard and they shouldn't be able get a block?

Like, I concede a lot of arguments, but the block thing is pretty silly. The idea was presented multiple times over the last 2 years, and has been shut down with video evidence of tiny PGs acquiring big time blocks. Ironically, last thread a person posted a 2k video of a super unrealistic block....and then got sent a video of the same player doing the EXACT same block in college.

TL;DR: Would always rather have situations where a block is possible vs. Situations where I do everything right but I whiff the block because someone thinks a guard blocking a big is impossible. Also, Blocking is way different. Last year was chasedown city, this year I don't get half the blocks I use to. So..yeah.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 12-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
Because everyone in the NBA can block depending on circumstances. If the ball is exposed it can be blocked. Obviously we're looking for different animations and how they trigger, but given that we can't control that, what's more anger inducing?
That statement is patently ridiculous. Ratings (and chance of success) aren't based on things that happened once in some internet highlight film. Tony Delk once scored 53pts in a game...you basing his rating on that or his career average of 9ppg? Dwight Howard once hit 11 FTs in a row...his career average is 56%..which one you think is more accurate? Everyone in the NBA can dunk, dribble and hit three pointers too...should guys like Shaq, Webber and Ben Simmons be high percentage from three and should CP3 catch lobs, that kind of thing? We're talking about the CONSISTENT skill-set they've displayed within an NBA game which is limited by the ratings in the game. PGs blocking shots should be rare...

Right now blocks is a catch-all because defense is behind but the sooner the right stick isn't just "hands up" and can be used to defend anywhere on the court the better off the game will be.

Last edited by Kushmir; 12-14-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:

Would you be angrier if a guard got a block on a center(Which is the discussion the Block thread devolved into, discussion on how this is unrealistic despite several video examples being posted), or would you be angrier if the center leaned to the side, put the ball over his head, and the player you're controlling got a block animation....but the hand went through the ball because he's a guard and they shouldn't be able get a block?

Like, I concede a lot of arguments, but the block thing is pretty silly. The idea was presented multiple times over the last 2 years, and has been shut down with video evidence of tiny PGs acquiring big time blocks. Ironically, last thread a person posted a 2k video of a super unrealistic block....and then got sent a video of the same player doing the EXACT same block in college.

TL;DR: Would always rather have situations where a block is possible vs. Situations where I do everything right but I whiff the block because someone thinks a guard blocking a big is impossible. Also, Blocking is way different. Last year was chasedown city, this year I don't get half the blocks I use to. So..yeah.
The problem with the blocks is not the fact that something was blocked, but how it was blocked. Way to many blocks are happening where the timing was off and the defender was even facing the wrong direction. Just throwing a hand up and swinging is sufficient. No skills, no ratings, bad defender IRL, doesn't matter. Guys beaten on plays and just spamming the block butting for the high percentage blocks. It's very unrealistic for every team in the NBA to have shot blockers and dunk blockers. In this year's game, u can pick any team and have an oustanding rim protector.

Last edited by MadManCometh; 12-14-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
That statement is patently ridiculous. Ratings (and chance of success) aren't based on things that happened once in some internet highlight film. Tony Delk once scored 53pts in a game...you basing his rating on that or his career average of 9ppg? Dwight Howard once hit 11 FTs in a row...his career average is 56%..which one you think is more accurate? Everyone in the NBA can dunk, dribble and hit three pointers too...should guys like Shaq, Webber and Ben Simmons be high percentage from three and should CP3 catch lobs, that kind of thing? We're talking about the CONSISTENT skill-set they've displayed within an NBA game and guys limited by ratings. Guards blocking shots should be rare...

Right now blocks is a catch-all because defense is behind but the sooner the right stick isn't just "hands up" and can be used to defend anywhere on the court the better off the game will be.
And While I agree ratings aren't arbitrary, what is being implied that a Small should never, ever, block a big. That's more ridiculous than my statement. Unless, once again, you're implying that if I get essentially a perfect block with a small, the ball should go through his hand.

Yes, these are not every game occurences. Neither is Curry pulling from half court, but we reflect that in game by allowing him to basically shoot lights out as soon as he hits the line. We're basing one thing on something that happens once or twice every 3-4 games, and allowing it to be unnaturally consistent in a 9 times a game setting. So, your block rating argument is out the window. Consequently, I can hit a 3 with Shaq. But not 9/10.

You know why there's so many unnatural blocks? The contextual animations. And I think that sucks, but once again, I'd rather be able to block a move in the right situation as opposed to having the magical 2k13 ball forcefield because I have a guard and you have a power forward. This isn't fixable, either. If you tone them down too much you're unable to get a block when you SHOULD get one. If you don't tone them enough, you get this thread every 2 months when someone feels like they were unjustly blocked, or got a bad animation.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight

Last edited by ViolenceFight; 12-14-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #8
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
And While I agree ratings aren't arbitrary, what is being implied that a Small should never, ever, block a big. That's more ridiculous than my statement. Unless, once again, you're implying that if I get essentially a perfect block with a small, the ball should go through his hand.
Not at all...you'll notice I used the word RARE. All i'm saying is that when CP3 tries to block Howard in the paint he'll see more far foul outcomes than successful blocks. His skill-set says he's good at stripping the ball and that's where he'll have the most success.

I'm glad you used the Curry example because I wholeheartedly disagree with him being able to do per game what he does less than 10 times a year...and I think we can all see how bad its been for gameplay....hitting a 3 with Shaq? Thats the shot every defense wants...I hope we agree that shot shouldn't convert with any measurable or dependable success.

I think the answer is in expanding right stick challenges so blocks arent the only way to defend and providing hard-coded ratios like 2K does with FG%. Its hard as hell to shoot over 60% and should be. Even elite shot-blocking guards like Wade got like 1 per game. (in his prime he was at 1.3) keep in mind online games aren't even half of an NBA game. Its a scaled down version of one...1 blk isn't really one...its almost 2.5 in 12 min qtrs. Derrick Rose blocking two shots is like him blocking 5. Best blocking PGs the last 3 yrs are consistently Wall, MCW and Holiday...none of which get 1 per game.

If we're looking at 20 instances they should get like 7 blocks, 10 fouls and three whiffs.

Last edited by Kushmir; 12-14-2016 at 10:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »