Home

What 2kSport told us we could expect from NBA 2k17. Did they deliver?

This is a discussion on What 2kSport told us we could expect from NBA 2k17. Did they deliver? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Did 2k deliver on their claims?
Yes 22 12.57%
No 144 82.29%
Who cares 9 5.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #65
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: What 2kSport told us we could expect from NBA 2k17. Did they deliver?

Not to rehash old posts, or derail the thread, but I have been looking for what NBA 2k calls 'pulling the chair" and what really is "pulling the chair".

NBA 2k's video shows that the defender is guarding a post up off ball and then swim moves him, ends up in front of him, and the post up player falls to the ground.
I have never seen one example of this being called "pulling the chair".

A few on here claimed that it is "pulling the chair", but only provided their opinion with no examples.

Here is the definition of "pulling the chair" from the NBA rule book.

"On this play, the post defender places one forearm onto the back of the offensive player with the ball and his back to the basket".
"The defender then simply backs away from the offensive player, “pulling the chair” as it is commonly known as".

http://videorulebook.nba.com/archive...lls-the-chair/

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I have never seen anything but this be called "puling the chair".

Can someone provide me with an example or definition of "pulling the chair" that differs from this?

Last edited by awg811; 12-28-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #66
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

^It's both. "Pulling The Chair" doesn't refer to the specific action, the most common form is what you posted. But it refers to the idea/concept. "Pulling the "Chair" is any time you leave a guy who is using you as a counterbalance and he falls.

Basically, If I'm using you to hold position, and you move so I fall, you have "pulled the chair out from under me". It can be on or offball.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 12-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #67
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Being real - 2k17 is 2k14 with updates.

I think it's time to retire the model of a new game every NBA season. We live in the DLC era - let's just make "NBA 2k PS4" and "NBA 2k Xbox1" and then let us buy DLCs to get the new updates.

This would give them time to create new content that actually works, instead of rushing out half-finished stuff every year.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #68
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
^It's both. "Pulling The Chair" doesn't refer to the specific action, the most common form is what you posted. But it refers to the idea/concept. "Pulling the "Chair" is any time you leave a guy who is using you as a counterbalance and he falls.

Basically, If I'm using you to hold position, and you move so I fall, you have "pulled the chair out from under me". It can be on or offball.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, however, can you give me evidence of this?
I mean, written or video evidence of the way that 2k calls pulling the chair and what it seems that the NBA defines as pulling the chair.

The NBA rule book explains it very clearly, pulling the chair is an on ball move.

I mean a dunk is a dunk, but a windmill is a specific kind of dunk.
Is that what we are talking about here?
One is called pulling the chair and the other is still in essence pulling the chair just in a different way.

My only issue is that I cannot find any evidence of pulling the chair as anything other than what I have shown.

I'm not trying to say that I am right and you are wrong. It's more for myself to expand my knowledge.

Either way or both, I wish that I could get the move, either as 2k describes it or as the link that I provided shows, to work. Preferably BOTH.

If anyone knows exactly how to get this move to work in 2k, I'd be very appreciative of an explanation either here or through private message.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #69
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
I don't necessarily disagree with you, however, can you give me evidence of this?
I mean, written or video evidence of the way that 2k calls pulling the chair and what it seems that the NBA defines as pulling the chair.

The NBA rule book explains it very clearly, pulling the chair is an on ball move.

I mean a dunk is a dunk, but a windmill is a specific kind of dunk.
Is that what we are talking about here?
One is called pulling the chair and the other is still in essence pulling the chair just in a different way.

My only issue is that I cannot find any evidence of pulling the chair as anything other than what I have shown.

I'm not trying to say that I am right and you are wrong. It's more for myself to expand my knowledge.

Either way or both, I wish that I could get the move, either as 2k describes it or as the link that I provided shows, to work. Preferably BOTH.

If anyone knows exactly how to get this move to work in 2k, I'd be very appreciative of an explanation either here or through private message.
http://basketball.lifetips.com//cat/...ips/index.html

Google is your friend. Stated here: "Pulling the chair is letting them make contact, and then moving letting them fall". It's not specified on or off ball. I understand why you think it's limited to on ball, but it's really just a term for moving once a person puts too much weight on you/uses you for balance.

Also, in your post, the official rules/definition does not specify on or off ball. The video shows on ball, but never implies the term is limited to that

Last edited by ViolenceFight; 12-28-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #70
Banned

jax01's Arena

"Did 2k deliver on their claims?"

100%? I'd say no.

Somewhat? Sure. Based on pre-patch vs post-patch gameplay too.

The player archetypes was a good concept, sub-par result. There is more parity, but not to the level that was needed. But that's up to the community, they're going to always gravitate to the "best build" and copy each other. This has caused some unbalanced gameplay because of OP builds.

Guess with 2k17 for me, the jury's still out. Feature-wise, it's way better than 2k16. Gameplay wise, I need to see more gameplay balance. Control (dribbling) is definitely a step up. Perimeter defense needs better control.

MyPARK I think took a step down and continues to become more and more arcade and less basketball-logic orientated, probably til it reaches NBA JAM level and guys are jumping 80 feet in the air.

I wish the commitment to Sim was bigger than the commitment to VC models. Does skill matter more than player archetype? That's something that needs to be worked on. I think 2k17 has been the year of the "player build" over actual skill, or at least having a huge impact vs how far skill can take you.

2k18 wishlist: less grind, more testing, more gameplay balance, skill over build, better foot planting on defense.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #71
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
http://basketball.lifetips.com//cat/...ips/index.html

Google is your friend. Stated here: "Pulling the chair is letting them make contact, and then moving letting them fall". It's not specified on or off ball. I understand why you think it's limited to on ball, but it's really just a term for moving once a person puts too much weight on you/uses you for balance.

Also, in your post, the official rules/definition does not specify on or off ball. The video shows on ball, but never implies the term is limited to that
I've used google and never seen anything but what I've described as pulling the chair.

In your definition the guy says "Use your quickness to disrupt him, as the post entry pass comes, slip around him and get your fingers on it".
Slipping around him isn't pulling the chair.

Further, your definition says "Or you can do the Rick Mahorn trick and "pull the chair" on him".

Here google is your friend. Rick Mahorn pulling the chair shows Rick Mahorn pulling the chair. Not Rick Mahorn playing offball defense.

Pulling the chair is a specific move within on ball defense.

In the definition that you provided it is simply talking about different tactics that you can use against a bigger player both on ball and off.
Nowhere does it go in depth on the different moves or explain them.

Quote:
Also, in your post, the official rules/definition does not specify on or off ball. The video shows on ball, but never implies the term is limited to that.
In the definition that I provided from the NBA rule book, it CLEARLY states "On this play, the post defender places one forearm onto the back of the offensive player with the ball and his back to the basket". As I highlighted previously.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #72
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
I've used google and never seen anything but what I've described as pulling the chair.

In your definition the guy says "Use your quickness to disrupt him, as the post entry pass comes, slip around him and get your fingers on it".
Slipping around him isn't pulling the chair.

Further, your definition says "Or you can do the Rick Mahorn trick and "pull the chair" on him".

Here google is your friend. Rick Mahorn pulling the chair shows Rick Mahorn pulling the chair. Not Rick Mahorn playing offball defense.

Pulling the chair is a specific move within on ball defense.

In the definition that you provided it is simply talking about different tactics that you can use against a bigger player both on ball and off.
Nowhere does it go in depth on the different moves or explain them.

In the definition that I provided from the NBA rule book, it CLEARLY states "On this play, the post defender places one forearm onto the back of the offensive player with the ball and his back to the basket". As I highlighted previously.
....look. I'm not going to argue, I was always taught it means both. Let's stop derailing this thread over something that's petty.

Last edited by ViolenceFight; 12-28-2016 at 11:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »