Home

AI cheese

This is a discussion on AI cheese within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: AI cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
I'm with you, I've quit so many games due to unnatural cpu abilities it's not even funny. Sometimes I just need to take a break away from the game before I kill somebody lol.

Some days the game feels a blast to play and others gives me frustration beyond measure. I've never experienced this with any sports title since the old days of Madden.

I'm the type of GM player were I spend a good 10 minutes looking at stats for my upcoming matchup. That means team stats, certain star player stats, injury report, past games, rival status...you name it. Only for me to get into the game and all of that thorough research flies directly out of the window. A lowly rated rookie, who happens to be in the starting lineup begins to play like the second coming of Chris Paul. He could be averaging 5.5 points a game, 1 rebound and 3 assist but when I play him he puts up 20, 6 and 6...like how Sway??

I understand that any game can feature a breakout performance but this happens far to much for my liking. Before each game, I'll set my defensive strategy and it seems to do nothing. If Kyrie wants to score at will, Kyrie will score at will. Add to that the Gary Payton-esque defense with all players, the game just doesn't feel like I'm playing it. More like going through the motions to the final score.

Sometimes I have no control over the outcome as with past 2K games. In the past, if I made a bad pass during a good run, the cpu would punish me for my mistake...my user error. This year, the cpu will punish you just because. You can play great defense, mess around with all the offensive sets and adjustments you want, the game doesn't reward you for your efforts.
I am going to disagree with you and Sublime, but I am also playing on a different platform. Prior to upgrading to the Pro, I had the same frustrations as everyone in this thread. Now, am I saying this game is faultless all of a sudden...hell no. But it is MUCH smoother and I can finish a game satisfied oppose to frustrated. I still do see the full court passes every once in a while, but that was in 2K16 as well. I can't remember 2K15.

Are any of you guys playing on PS4 Pro? I'm back to having fun again and I play strictly offline on Superstar and above with 11 minute quarters.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #34
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertheles109
I am going to disagree with you and Sublime, but I am also playing on a different platform. Prior to upgrading to the Pro, I had the same frustrations as everyone in this thread. Now, am I saying this game is faultless all of a sudden...hell no. But it is MUCH smoother and I can finish a game satisfied oppose to frustrated. I still do see the full court passes every once in a while, but that was in 2K16 as well. I can't remember 2K15.

Are any of you guys playing on PS4 Pro? I'm back to having fun again and I play strictly offline on Superstar and above with 11 minute quarters.
I wish was having the same luck. Its hard to explain. I can play a stretch of games one day....all the games seem fair, lack of cpu cheese and are a blast to play. I take some days off, return to it then its like I'm learning how to play the game over again.

I've put in at least 100+ games so far (mostly offline v. cpu) and to this date, I'm still tweaking sliders. I play no more than 3 games of testing a slider set before I touch it again. I've never had to do this with any 2K game. Once I find a good slider set, usually within the first 20 or so games, I'm golden till next year. 2K17 however...give me the flux. It has been the most inconsistent sports title I've ever played. 3 straight games I can drive past the cpu frequently, the next 3 I run into the brick wall D. Same thing with my team mates. Some games they are a force and others, they are constantly out of position and give up wayyy to many full court inside passes.

Only saving grace has been playing user v user games with my fam. The game plays awesome when you have two like-minded individuals playing. The coaching strategies work, the stats add up correctly.... It's definitely a ongoing problem when playing the AI.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:45 PM   #35
MVP

Insight23's Arena

OVR: 1

I played a few games today on default Superstar after using Eggie25's & Creweutah's sliders for the past week or so (both sliders play well) & I must say I have had no problem against the CPU. When I applied some of my gameplan that I used on those sliders to the default sliders I had a much better time than before. Could just be those games though, so I will play more.

I tend to not focus too much on the player I'm defending at the moment unless its my opponents best player. I used to always keep my eyes on that one player I'm defending until they passed the ball but not anymore. I constantly break CPU plays by anticipating the off ball screens that they love to get points off of & although it's a hassle at times, I'm constantly aware of teammates that may start to lose track of the player they should be defending. Move em right back in place quickly (that too breaks the CPU plays). Also, laying off the turbo button has helped my defense immensely. At times its as if I'm just standing there but somehow it helps. It seems the more calm I am on defense the less frantic my teammates become. Its as if too much quick movements throws them out of whack.

In no way does this entirely prevent the CPU from their cheese tactics but it has lowered it significantly for me. The problem is having to stay on it all game long because for the plays you don't you will get killed with a pass to the paint for a easy bucket, players will get tangled up in off ball screens, & in general the CPU will control the momentum of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2017, 08:36 PM   #36
MVP

nova91's Arena

OVR: 14

I've almost made this same thread at least 20 times.

You're so right about the CPU AI, they can and do get away with so much that the user AI can't. There is 0 reciprocity in this game and it's beyond ridiculous. I have several videos of me or my AI trying to do something only to lose the ball or go completely stupid and on the very next play the CPU does the exact same thing with no problems. I've watch my teammates knock the ball awy from me as I'm dribbling up court and then watch the CPU dribbling in traffic and not even come close to losing the ball. I watch the CPU perfectly fire full court passes for easy buckets with terrible passers, but if a guy like Kevin Love is on my team and he tries that the ball is sailing 5+ feet over my guys head most of the time even with badges.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:55 AM   #37
Rookie

Playing the other night and it was crazy how the loose ball always ended up in the AI's hands if I tapped it for a steal, unless I really knocked it out and then it ended up going out half of the time.

Still the biggest problem for me if the defense, you can try your best to stick to your AI opponent on ball but if the AI wants to it will either zig zag you and leave you running around like a headless chicken or they just drop a shot right over you.

Plus the blocking fouls, the AI does to stop you when your attacking, makes getting into the paint a nightmare. Plus passing in is a joke with the AI's center having magnet hands where the pass always goes to them
Old 01-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #38
Banned

HUSTLER_79's Arena

No fun playing the CPU whatsoever !!
All i see is cheating and unnatural stuff happening in favour of the CPU
How can someone play a 82 game mygm on superstar
And not end up in a mental hospital ??

AI shouldnt even be mentioned wenn we talk about the game programming. ...i try to make the most out of this game but i realise
Its impossible!
Every game the CPU choses to cheat you out of loose balls
It grabs boards that werent meant for them they make shots that jordan would miss on his good nights ..im baffled how bad 2k has gotten over the time ...no need to even sum up all the nonsense thats happening .

The momentum hardcoded in the game is unapproachable

They catch up wenn you lead and they cheat wenn you catch up !

Ive never played a sports game that was so poor wenn it comes to
Giving the user a good sim gameplay

This is not even a rant i dont even have the energy for that
Because i just know this is a helpless product for us offline gamers

You should play this game and have the developers actually
Take notes on this half a** product they conned us with

The arrogance of a monopoly is what i call it

A 1000 thumbs down and a 1000 middlefingers to 2k

You can slider what you want to escape from the standard rubbish sliders out the box ...there are thing you cant slider its just the game is
Spiraling out of control ...fun factor is minus a thousand .

This thread should stay in top of this forum so anyone can see how dissapointed the hardcore community is .

Weve landed on mars and the moon and weve sent satelite telescopes
Out in the universe why the hell technology going neanderthal at 2k studios ???? .CPU CHEATS FUN FACTOR NON EXISTING! !

Money is the root of all evil ..VC killed this game and the direction it was headed before Ronnie 2k had dollar signs in those big racoon sockets of his....take your game and go play it with mike wang bro this game is
Useless in my eyes ..its like a bentley coupe with a daihatsu engine

Peace yall dont believe the hype wenn 2k18 approaches !!
Old 01-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #39
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

Maybe its just me but I haven't had many problems with the AI this year. Lately I've been playing the CPU on HOF 12 minute quarters and constantly holding them to under 100 points and below 45% shooting. If I contest a shot, more likely than they're going to miss. On the other end I can make semi-contested and even fully contested shots. If I call timeouts and have longer possessions I can stop the CPU momentum. I played the Bulls and had Wade go 3-3 on 3 pointers in the first quarter. He ended the night 3-9 on 3s. I feel like he would have made 5-9 or 6-9 if it were 2K15 or 2K16. I'm not going to deny that the AI gets unfair advantages and say that there is no cheese but I don't think it hinders gameplay like in past years.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:26 AM   #40
Pro

My only problem with the AI this year is its hell bent desire to force the ball to guys in the paint if they arent running a play. Outside of that the game plays very sim with a few tendency tweaks. If they can fix that then AI offense will be at an acceptable enough level so the majority of the efforts can be focused on getting the defense up to speed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »