Home

The dribble drive game is in serious need of an overhaul!

This is a discussion on The dribble drive game is in serious need of an overhaul! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2017, 10:06 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: The dribble drive game is in serious need of an overhaul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunky
Another thing you don't see is the AI utilizing the drive and kick game ending with the touch pass or consecutive passes around the horn on the perimeter. My guess is that's too advanced to program the AI to do but it's much needed if this is a simulation.
Another thing about the drive and kick game is that defenders generally dont collapse on the drive as they do in real life to allow for kick out opportunities. Currently they just stand near their assignment for the most part.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

First off- Props to the OP. Great post. The ride the hip animation, forced dribble pick ups, or mutual bump backs need to happen way more often.
IMO some of the animations in 2k really hurt this game. You have animations that automatically slow down your ball handler in the open court even if your defender is behind you. This game also has a bad case of "Mario Running" with players constantly running in place when coming into contact with one another rather than reacting to them and adjusting their path(Even NFL 2k5 fixed this issue). I've seen ball handlers dribbling right into a stationary defender and running in place. It can look hilarious at times. This is also a main reason why play calling can take forever. I really wish this game could take an extra year off.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #11
Rookie

Wait, that forced dribble pick-up animation is AWFUL. There's no way it should be back or increased.

Neither should the bumping animations be implemented unless there's a major strength difference between you and the CPU defender, and provided the CPU defender is actually fast enough (w/o their silly boosts and lateral on-ball D) to keep up with you.

Can't believe the recent patches and how they haven't addressed gameplay. Seems like 2K is avoiding any talk about gameplay mechanics and instead promoting their Park stuff. Dribbling seriously needs to get rolled back. AI getting boosts on defence needs to get fixed. Get on it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
Banned

jax01's Arena

as long as this is CPU, I can't really comment 'cause I play vs humans mostly. But I know this doesn't apply to multiplayer modes because if anything, the offense has plenty of advantage in park and pro am.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #13
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeassc
Wait, that forced dribble pick-up animation is AWFUL. There's no way it should be back or increased.

Neither should the bumping animations be implemented unless there's a major strength difference between you and the CPU defender, and provided the CPU defender is actually fast enough (w/o their silly boosts and lateral on-ball D) to keep up with you.

Can't believe the recent patches and how they haven't addressed gameplay. Seems like 2K is avoiding any talk about gameplay mechanics and instead promoting their Park stuff. Dribbling seriously needs to get rolled back. AI getting boosts on defence needs to get fixed. Get on it.

I respectfully disagree with the bold. No way should they completely remove them from the game imo. Can they be improved by speeding them up and/or shortening the length of the animations so they don't take so long to play out? No doubt.. I think those animations can be used to reward good positional defense and punish people who try to force their way into the paint. They just need to tone down the length of time it takes for these animations to play out. In their current state a lot of the bump back animations look like fouls and they take decades to play out.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

Last edited by NINJAK2; 02-01-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:04 PM   #14
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6
The dribble drive game is in serious need of an overhaul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeassc

Ball pick up animations need to be in the game so I'm not sure why you're suggesting them be removed. Also without bumping animations there's no defense. Need to be able to impede. The game needs better physics imo. You hardly see any in air collisions it's always the defender getting pushed back or nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 02-02-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
First off- Props to the OP. Great post. The ride the hip animation, forced dribble pick ups, or mutual bump backs need to happen way more often.
IMO some of the animations in 2k really hurt this game. You have animations that automatically slow down your ball handler in the open court even if your defender is behind you. This game also has a bad case of "Mario Running" with players constantly running in place when coming into contact with one another rather than reacting to them and adjusting their path(Even NFL 2k5 fixed this issue). I've seen ball handlers dribbling right into a stationary defender and running in place. It can look hilarious at times. This is also a main reason why play calling can take forever. I really wish this game could take an extra year off.
Yes. The hip riding, dribble pick up, and force stop all need to happen more often. They need to make since from a positioning standpoint though. I would never want a dribble pick or a forced stop animation to happen when I've got a lead dribble on a guy. Animations that make sense for the situation is what needs to happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2017, 02:22 AM   #16
Rookie

Like the person directly above is saying, the animations need to make sense for the given situation.

You guys play against humans who will play imperfect on-ball defence and have the ability to maintain paint presence as you drive to the basket.

What if mainly play offline against the CPU? The CPU has too frequently shown that it does not respect your ability to break down and beat your man 1v1.

The bumping and pick-up animations are abused by CPU defence and not appropriately implemented in human vs CPU situations.

Maybe they shouldn't go completely, but definitely (as someone suggested), making them shorter is definitely a must.

2K needs to consider making the CPU more reactive to your human offenses rather than completely abusing on-ball defence animations.

I've never played against a human, offline with friends or online against an opponent, who could stop me in such a cheesy manner like the CPU does on defence.

Other humans are capable of keeping their bigs around the paint, not easily being lured out to the 3pt line unless they guard a stretch big.

The CPU's defence, however, is reliant abuse of these bump animations to keep you from getting into the paint (where as a human player, I would easily draw a foul or lay it in).

The CPU does not respect good positional defence because they are able to slide into place laterally on defence far too easily.

Try this: turn lateral quickness slider to 0 for the CPU, make human acceleration and speed sliders 50, play a game of blacktop with 2 equivalent players (or give yourself the faster player). This should be enough to slow down the CPU, yet you will still be locked down laterally by the CPU. Shouldn't happen. End of story.

I will admit, against humans who respect and play the game as a basketball game, 2K17 is a much better game in terms of gameplay.

I'm not moving on my stance. The animations need to be far more streamlined and the CPU needs to have its advantages removed.

Try another one: set your sliders to All-Star or SS, play a game of blacktop with you as Lebron against the CPU with some bum on a bum team with low lateral quickness.

- First dribble right into him. You will enter an automatic post-up animation. OK. Acceptable.

- Second, try to dribble around him without dribble moves or turbo. You will enter the same auto post-up animation. OK. Acceptable.

- Third, use turbo and try to get by him. You will enter that same auto post-up animation.

How many times have you seen Lebron blow past defenders without a single dribble move in real life? If turbo isn't quick enough, what is?

Does the CPU have good defensive position? I'd say yes.

However, what did the CPU do to deserve that good position? He's not playing with DPOY candidate Draymond Green, he's using a bum and keeping up because of awful CPU stat boosts or animation abuse.

This is my issue with 2K. Not that the animations are necessarily bad, but the CPU needs to be changed in a big way, and right now, the animations are greatly damaging to the integrity of the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »