Home

What's The Difference Between The "Close Shot" and "Under The Basket" Tendencies?

This is a discussion on What's The Difference Between The "Close Shot" and "Under The Basket" Tendencies? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
What's The Difference Between The "Close Shot" and "Under The Basket" Tendencies?

I'm trying to figure these two out. Would "Close Shot" be primarily shots in the paint like hook shots, floaters, turnarounds? Is "Under The Basket" for layups, dunks, putbacks??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2017, 02:48 AM   #2
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: What's The Difference Between The "Close Shot" and "Under The Basket" Tendencies?

I believe close shot is literally a close jumpshot. When they are closer than a "mid range" shot it's classified as a close shot. I would like to know the difference between shot under basket and standing layup.

XBLGT: tjor24
Old 02-09-2017, 04:21 AM   #3
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14
Re: What's The Difference Between The "Close Shot" and "Under The Basket" Tendencies?

Close Shot just has to do with the range. For 2K, it's from restricted circle (4 feet) out to the free throw line (~14 feet).

As far as Under the Basket vs Layup tendencies, your guess is good as mine. MyLeague devs must have been confused by them, too, because the Shot Under Basket tendency isn't used in the sim.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Old 02-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMage
Close Shot just has to do with the range. For 2K, it's from restricted circle (4 feet) out to the free throw line (~14 feet).

As far as Under the Basket vs Layup tendencies, your guess is good as mine. MyLeague devs must have been confused by them, too, because the Shot Under Basket tendency isn't used in the sim.

This is correct. UB tendencies control how willing a player is to shoot when given opportunities around the rim.

The Layup tendency is used to determine HOW a player finishes when attacking the basket, versus dunking or pulling up for a J
Old 02-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Going a bit off topic here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
This is correct. UB tendencies control how willing a player is to shoot when given opportunities around the rim.

The Layup tendency is used to determine HOW a player finishes when attacking the basket, versus dunking or pulling up for a J
I want to talk about tendencies.

There are several right now where even if you give a player a 0, they'll still do it even when not forced to do so (pull up in transition, close range shot, stepback shot, take charge.. among others). The worst offender here is the stepback shot which causes a player to do it whether they're wide open or not.

Was this intentional? (I think it might be ACE overriding player tendencies but I can't be sure). It's been irking me for a while.. lol. This didn't seem to be an issue last year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
Going a bit off topic here...

I want to talk about tendencies.

There are several right now where even if you give a player a 0, they'll still do it even when not forced to do so (pull up in transition, close range shot, stepback shot, take charge.. among others). The worst offender here is the stepback shot which causes a player to do it whether they're wide open or not.

Was this intentional? (I think it might be ACE overriding player tendencies but I can't be sure). It's been irking me for a while.. lol. This didn't seem to be an issue last year.
Offensive AI logic is Da Czar's baby so I'll leave it to him to discuss implementation details if he chooses. There was a push to "teach the AI" to hunt for 3's more this year so that's likely what you're seeing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »