Home

27 Changes That Would Help Pro Am's Gameplay Resemble NBA Basketball

This is a discussion on 27 Changes That Would Help Pro Am's Gameplay Resemble NBA Basketball within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2017, 11:53 PM   #49
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 27 Changes That Would Help Pro Am's Gameplay Resemble NBA Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakstarter
Not for nothing, alot of your points come off as someone who is salty over playing against elite players and them taking advantage of their playstyles. You want to neuter/nerf half of what made 2k17 good. Here i thought you were gonna mention the servers or matchmaking issues. You bring up badges, and their overall effectiveness...how about giving myplayers MORE Options instead of making them Stricter. You Gotta lot of Trump in your vision for how you the rest of us should be playing 2k. The elite players will always find a way to make the best of certain archetypes no matter which year the game comes out.
remove ankle breakers? Remove Brick Wall animations? increase stamina cost?
bruh...i support your thread because its towards fixing pro am, but nerfing and getting rid of the things we actually do like doesnt make sense. Your other points are valid though...i read them thoroughly and you might not agree but we as myplayers need MORE OPTIONS not less and stricter. This is supposed to be fun, not strict.
I agree.

The problem is that this isn't the NBA. There are really terrible players mixed in with really good players.

So while not everyone breaks ankles in the NBA, they would if they had amateurs and high school players in there too.

That said, I like a lot of your suggestions. A ton of animations in general need to be re-done/fixed.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #50
Rookie

JayBillups36's Arena

Yes Sir! I love the list. This is where it's at. I would even mind picking archetypes straight from pro am loading screen like NHL. I did hate the way NHL was set up, but it is more evenly balanced and thank god you don't have to put 100 hours into your career to be as good as your opponent
Old 03-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
You can't just force pick up animations because some people dribble too much and abuse certain moves. Would kill the game completely. Make the shot % go down after a dribble fest but you can't just force pick up animations.
Quote:
We finally have something close to a shot-fake hesitation and you want to get rid of it. Otherwise you have a pretty good list.
Continuing to dribble after doing the normal 1 hesitation stepback animation is a fake fantasy move that would be called a travel if it was done in real life.

When you plant your inside foot and use it to jump backwards/sideways, you are making a gather move. Like other types of gathers (euro step, hop step, jump stop), a leaping stepback move must end with a shot, a pass, or a stop to avoid a traveling violation. It's not a move that you can dribble out of on a real basketball court with real officials.

2K has been letting people break the rules of basketball for several years now with that particular animation, and it's long overdue for 2K's stepback animations to finally be brought back to how they are used in real life (creating space for a quick pullup jumper) instead of continuing to let dribblers abuse that animation as a way of quickly changing directions and chaining together zig zag dribble combos.

Last edited by jyoung; 03-08-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #52
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

I use the hesitation normal 1 step back cheese but I'd be indifferent to see it go. It would definitely demand more skill from users if the travel dribble cheese was removed.

It definitely seems like a move added for entertainment (cheese) purposes and helps keep the cheese market thriving haha 2k clever keeping these cheese animations in knowing Damm well it will disturb the cheese community so they made it the default hesitation in 17 lol

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2017, 05:26 AM   #53
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody17929
Just go to dunk screen and watch all the animations. If you see your character pull the ball behind him DO NOT use that package. 99% of blocks in this game are fast break chasedown variety. If you give the defense time to hit the ball they will. It also depends on your play style are you mostly transition dunking or are you a point forward or slasher? Shawn Kemp is nice if you're 6'8 with decent vertical. Almost never gets blocked and I dunk over people with the package equipped. I'm a 6'9 SF shot creator

Thanks for this.
I already knew the tip about avoiding the "behind the head" dunks, while I didn't know about the Kemp package.. I will give it a try (I'm a 6'8 point forward).

The best packages I found for avoiding blocks are "front clutches off two" (only 2 hands package I have equipped, almost never blocked from behind in transition) and the "baseline reverse off one" (very effective once you got the baseline drive, even in half court situations).
Do you know anyone else?
Old 03-31-2017, 08:06 PM   #54
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
15) Decrease the number of fouls that are called in situations when the defender just has his left trigger held down and is only trying to stay in front of his man.

Also stop bailing out out-of-control ballhandlers who try to dribble right through well-positioned defenders with tons of automated shooting foul animations when the defender is just standing in place and holding his ground. These unavoidable shooting foul animations are especially common during baseline drives.
An example from a few days ago where a cheap blocking foul call ended up deciding the outcome of a game:

Even when you know exactly where the ball handler is going and you beat him to the spot, the game still bails out the ball handler with a blocking foul.

Last edited by jyoung; 03-31-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:48 AM   #55
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

Awesome list. Like someone said, this should apply to every mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2017, 05:21 AM   #56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
An example from a few days ago where a cheap blocking foul call ended up deciding the outcome of a game:

Even when you know exactly where the ball handler is going and you beat him to the spot, the game still bails out the ball handler with a blocking foul.

I don't know what's wrong in this vid. A lot of agressive bump that should be blocking foul

the instant the point guard get the inbound pass, the defender press turbo into him, bump him and tryna run through his body to get a steal
bad decision he's in orbit, out of position

His teamate is coming for help D, another bump then immediatly attempts to steal, again out of position

Then extra pass to you, your defender is too tight, press for no reason, you get the advantage & drive the baseline, he tryna chasedown, prolly with the turbo block, FOUL, ok finally

Yes you know exactly where he's going but you running fast into him and bump him too, get rid of the turbo, just leave the R2 and he'll prolly get the charging foul

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »