Home

13pts Online = 30 point game

This is a discussion on 13pts Online = 30 point game within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2017, 08:40 PM   #9
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Scaling is Important: 13pts Online = 30 point game

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
A little goose and gander: what's your take on fouls in relation to reality versus online? How much is 1 online foul worth in reality? Rebounding?

Essentially, what are the averages we should be seeing on all global online team stats? I'd like to see a broader vision of how these definitions would play out on the appropriate scale.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
I don't have the data, but IMO (which i'll admit is completely anecdotal) i'd like to see more fouls called especially of the rebounding (loose ball) off-ball (grabbing and holding) variety...the obvious physical contact like this as well. Obvious fouls still aren't getting called so they have lots of work to do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U6V2gifYPI

that's the easiest call in the game.

the grabbing animation from behind has to be a foul 100% of the time as well.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #10
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 13pts Online = 30 point game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
actually thats incorrect....even with high pace games you'll see less than 60 possessions. kindly refer to how many an average NBA game has. Now ask yourself how many 20 steal or block games you've had in the NBA the last decade--and yessir...i'll wait.

No one's saying guys wont have a high number of steals if they pass the ball carelessly, but just straight up swiping the ball 10 times without a disproportionate amount of foul calls and whiffs? NAH. you're living in a dream, world, NEO.
You mean Field Goal Attempts right? Because I'm sure you know the average game in 2K has way more than 60 possessions right?

An average NBA game has 85 FGA so going by your logic, if we scale up that less than 60 possession estimate (let's say 55 FGA) into 12 minute quarters that's about 120 FGA per game in 12 minute quarters.

Looks high paced to me but that's besides the point though. Your whole thought process of just multiplying everything in proportion to real life NBA games is ridiculous. It doesn't take into account the fact that games in 2K are played differently than in real life. You can't expect the kids that play 2K to have the same play style as the real life professional basketball clubs.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #11
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
You mean Field Goal Attempts right? Because I'm sure you know the average game in 2K has way more than 60 possessions right?

An average NBA game has 85 FGA so going by your logic, if we scale up that less than 60 possession estimate (let's say 55 FGA) into 12 minute quarters that's about 120 FGA per game in 12 minute quarters.

Looks high paced to me but that's besides the point though. Your whole thought process of just multiplying everything in proportion to real life NBA games is ridiculous. It doesn't take into account the fact that games in 2K are played differently than in real life. You can't expect the kids that play 2K to have the same play style as the real life professional basketball clubs.
we're not multiplying anything...the game is scaled for 5 minute quarters. stats have to correspond to this....if we're getting numbers that equal or exceed what we see in 48 minute games something is seriously out of wack. Imagine if we were seeing NBA scores in 5 min quaters...we'd have to take a look at why FG% was too high among other things. the argument isnt new...we heard the same whining when 2K hardcoded realistic FG%. "if I take nothing but good shots I should should shoot 90% from the field like I did in 2K4."

again.....NO. realistic sim gameplay comes first. the steal/block attempts are too high because 1) the window for success is too high 2) the risk/downside is low and 3) the game needs a middle ground to aggressively challenge shots without fouling.

I get that the arcade thing appeals to some but a better game resembles the NBA where defense is more positioning and "make the shot harder" and less blocks and steals. keep in mind i'm not coming at you...we just disagree.

Last edited by Kushmir; 02-23-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2017, 09:39 PM   #12
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
actually thats incorrect....even with high pace games you'll see less than 60 possessions. kindly refer to how many an average NBA game has.Now ask yourself how many 20 steal or block games you've had in the NBA the last decade--and yessir...I will wait.

No one's saying guys wont have a high number of steals if they pass the ball carelessly, but just straight up swiping the ball 10 times without a disproportionate amount of foul calls and whiffs? NAH. you're living in a dream, world, NEO.

The reason why you don't see 20 steal or block games in the NBA is because they're going up against the best talent in the world. That isn't the case online in a video game. Sometimes you'll go up against a scrub and you can get that 20 steal game. You don't think LeBron or Steph could get 20 steals or blocks against a high school team without fouling out? That's the type of equivalency you're getting online sometimes. Compare your online 2k game to the 2017 NBA All-Star game. That's what you should be expecting.

Plus, you also have to refer back to the "fun factor". 95% of the people who play this game online do not care whatsoever about stats that mirror the NBA. They want their 20 point/20 board game with Giannis in a game and think that's fun.

In addition to all this, you have people online who are trying to size up everyone or taking stupid shots, which leaves you in position to steal or block the ball on numerous occasions. This just doesn't happen in the actual NBA. Also, nobody wants their online game ruined by excessive foul calls. It's just not fun to take 40-50 foul shots in a 5 minute quarter game, thus the foul frequency is most likely tuned down.

I understand you guys want "realistic stats" online and that's awesome. But you have to realize you are in the slim minority here in terms of the audience for this game. I suggest you just try and play custom games if you want those hyper-realistic stats.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:43 PM   #13
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
The reason why you don't see 20 steal or block games in the NBA is because they're going up against the best talent in the world. That isn't the case online in a video game. Sometimes you'll go up against a scrub and you can get that 20 steal game. You don't think LeBron or Steph could get 20 steals or blocks against a high school team without fouling out? That's the type of equivalency you're getting online sometimes.

Plus, you also have to refer back to the "fun factor". 95% of the people who play this game online do not care whatsoever about stats that mirror the NBA. They want their 20 point/20 board game with Giannis in a game and think that's fun.

In addition to all this, you have people online who are trying to size up everyone or taking stupid shots, which leaves you in position to steal or block the ball on numerous occasions. This just doesn't happen in the actual NBA. Also, nobody wants their online game ruined by excessive foul calls. It's just not fun to take 40-50 foul shots in a 5 minute quarter game, thus the foul frequency is most likely tuned down.

I understand you guys want "realistic stats" online and that's awesome. But you have to realize you are in the slim minority here in terms of the audience for this game. I suggest you just try and play custom games if you want those hyper-realistic stats.
the "total scrub" thing is rare....sure you're going to see horrible players sometimes but most people are pretty close in skill. Lebron vs a high school kid isn't an accurate analogy at all.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:44 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
the "total scrub" thing is rare....sure you're going to see horrible players sometimes but most people are pretty close in skill. Lebron vs a high school kid isn't an accurate analogy at all.
I'll say this. I ran park today with 2 randoms. We beat a team of 3 randoms 22-8 they were terrible. I did not take a screenshot but my point guard forced about 7 steals off his matchup. He kept doin the behind the back dribble while my teammate was in perfect position.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:19 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
A little goose and gander: what's your take on fouls in relation to reality versus online? How much is 1 online foul worth in reality?
Actually fouls are not scaled in any aspect or at least it doesn't matter since foul limits are the same as in a regular NBA game. It's nearly impossible to foul a player out or to get over the foul limit before the last 2min. To me this is the main reason people are going for steals all the time. Too often it's not a real risk/reward situation since there is basically no or way too little risk.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2017, 06:58 AM   #16
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexxelektrik
Actually fouls are not scaled in any aspect or at least it doesn't matter since foul limits are the same as in a regular NBA game. It's nearly impossible to foul a player out or to get over the foul limit before the last 2min. To me this is the main reason people are going for steals all the time. Too often it's not a real risk/reward situation since there is basically no or way too little risk.
which is precisely why I mention the fouls need to be higher. Because the quarters are shorter and getting into the penalty is rare and shouldnt be with how aggressive many online players are with steals and blocks.

but here again: the functionality to aggressively challenge shots (a middle ground, if you will) has to be expanded. players spam block & steal because 1) it works and 2) challenging shots with stuff like "hands up" is too passive. I should be able to push the right stick at the offensive player and challenge his shot whether its a jumper or layup and see benefits based on the players skill, my defensive position, the situation and my timing.

And its time to do away with the ridiculous User Bonuses...the Shot Stick Fiasco (shooting too high a %) was bad enough....I can do hands up D in the post and virtually guarantee a miss from most shots in the paint--thats not good gameplay. Its the same on the perimeter--I can challenge late and still really affect shot percentage. over the course of a game challenging shots should see a lower % from the opposition but when contested makes are Unicorns something's wrong.

Last edited by Kushmir; 02-23-2017 at 07:05 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »