Home

13pts Online = 30 point game

This is a discussion on 13pts Online = 30 point game within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Scaling is Important: 13pts Online = 30 point game

2k18 would do well to consider that 2K online games are less than half of an NBA game, they're a scaled down version, if you will. As such the stats will be skewed as well. Its the same reason we dont see guys drop 30 hardly ever...30pts in an online game with 5 minute quarters would be 72pts with 12 min quarters. 13pts in an online game is the equivalent of a 30pt game.

this is why things like 10 steal/block games simply cant be happening...thats basically a 25 steal/block game. I dont have to remind you guys why gameplay needs to account for realistic stats. When players like D. Rose gets 2 blocks its not two...its closer to 5. Gameplay has to keep this kind scaling in mind when it comes to low percentage shots as well. Ben Simmons/Julius Randle and other players with low 3pt ratings should rarely get 3pt "makes" in a scaled down game...those guys are OPEN FOR A REASON. One 3pter is the equivalent of making almost 3 triples in a full game. We cant scheme to guys weaknesses if the game is gonna reward poor shooters with "makes" at a rate that is much too high.

Last edited by Kushmir; 02-22-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2017, 07:13 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: 13pts Online = 30 point game

Cool idea.

I also really like the idea of the online games starting tied in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

The games that start after half would be nearly the same as current games. The games starting in the 4th would be addictive, quick, but not overly so. I'd love that second option, and I imagine I'd play even longer per sitting. You can't start another game when you're debating whether to go to sleep, as you know it's a 30 or 40-minute commitment.

Last edited by bakesalee; 02-22-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39
Re: Scaling is Important: 13pts Online = 30 point game

I feel your pain but I offer this question.

While the success rate of steals/blocks are very high considering we are only playing 5 minute quarters; but you also have to take into consideration users ATTEMPT a FAR GREATER number of steals/blocks when compared to real life players.

So naturally, there will/should be a higher number of steals/blocks just based on sheer number being attempted.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

I'm ok with 20 minute games but I see where you're going....It would screw with my head a little too much but created games could definitely have that kind of functionality.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

OVR: 0

I disagree. If someone is being careless with the ball then they deserve to get the ball stolen. I hate the idea of them nerfing things like shot blocking and steals just to keep up with the pace of real life games. 2K players (at least the online ones) play at a way faster pace than real life NBA teams. I normally score around 60-80 points a game.(PNO and MT). If you're going to play at a pace like that then steal and block attempts will be naturally higher as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
I feel your pain but I offer this question.

While the success rate of steals/blocks are very high considering we are only playing 5 minute quarters; but you also have to take into consideration users ATTEMPT a FAR GREATER number of steals/blocks when compared to real life players.

So naturally, there will/should be a higher number of steals/blocks just based on sheer number being attempted.
Oh for sure...and great point DC.

But that "babysitting" is part of the problem IMO...there's simply too big a window for steal/block success. And you can't blame the players...they're doing what works. Its like the game is scared to call fouls or punish people with horrible defensive position after an unsuccessful steal/block attempt. The success ratio is frankly...HORRIBLE. consider that the league leader for blocks the last 5 years in the NBA averaged 3.7, 3, 2.8, 2.9, 3.7, 2.5. The steals leader averaged 2.5, 2.4, 2.5, 2.3, 2.1 and 2.1.

Thats not very many...average players should be seeing ratios of about 3 unsuccessful attempts for every successful steal/block. how many of those misses are fouls is up for debate but it should be alot more than it is now. think about it: you have good block timing you get a block right? you have good steal timing it attacks the ball like in this clip right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1yPUEVTdmw

lol so why do horrible block or steal timing make you miss the ball completely?...thats horrible balance and encourages spam. stop protecting players for making bad choices. horrible block/steal timing should see fouls the majority of the time. gameplay also makes the cardinal sin of letting "attempts" reward the defense....a reward for failing? where they do that at?

Case in point: this guy spams steal and it rides my SG out to the perimeter and forces him to pick up his dribble. scary part? he doesn't even steal the ball...but he doesn't have to because just the attempt is rewarding him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwPCbEeg89A

CAN. NOT. HAPPEN. Blocks and Steals have to be a Zero Sum Game. Either 1) you're successful 2) you miss and are now in terrible defensive position or 3) you commit a foul. No tertiary rewards for spam....the hand-holding is hurting the game.

Short Version: there are more attempts because the game rewards spam...punish it realistically and the attempts go down.

Last edited by Kushmir; 02-22-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #7
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
I disagree. If someone is being careless with the ball then they deserve to get the ball stolen. I hate the idea of them nerfing things like shot blocking and steals just to keep up with the pace of real life games. 2K players (at least the online ones) play at a way faster pace than real life NBA teams. I normally score around 60-80 points a game.(PNO and MT). If you're going to play at a pace like that then steal and block attempts will be naturally higher as well.
actually thats incorrect....even with high pace games you'll see less than 60 possessions. kindly refer to how many an average NBA game has. Now ask yourself how many 20 steal or block games you've had in the NBA the last decade--and yessir...I will wait.

No one's saying guys wont have a high number of steals if they pass the ball carelessly, but just straight up swiping the ball 10 times without a disproportionate amount of foul calls and whiffs? NAH. you're living in a dream, world, NEO.

Last edited by Kushmir; 02-22-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #8
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

A little goose and gander: what's your take on fouls in relation to reality versus online? How much is 1 online foul worth in reality? Rebounding?

Essentially, what are the averages we should be seeing on all global online team stats? I'd like to see a broader vision of how these definitions would play out on the appropriate scale.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »