Home

"Dribble Gods"

This is a discussion on "Dribble Gods" within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: "Dribble Gods"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leasim96
YESS!!!!!!!!!! Glad a LDD noticed such things - height is OP in this game - even if your slow your height gives you more range on defense and you affect shots more. Not to mention you're very wide. It's very dissapointing (i have small LDD builds as well). Been going crazy talking about this in the forums - not many seem to join in sadly. Probably because it benefits them they don't fix such things since 50% or more of the community are such builds.

I'm saddened i haven't seen a forum based on fixing issues like this for balance and realism. Or many i'm just missing something. So far i haven't seen dribble gods mentioned much aside from myself.
Problem is, I don't think it CAN be fixed. I don't think game mechanics will ever allow it to be fixed, to be honest. Being able to blow by much taller opponents can be, but things like rebounding, contests, etc will always favor the bigger player model.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexicphish
I think the way to remedy this is to have stamina play a bigger role. The more you chain moves together the bigger hit to stamina each subsequent move makes. The lower your stamina bar the lower your shot percentage and ball security should be.

I'm playing CH 2K8 and there is a game mechanic where if you spam dribble moves you run the risk of triggering an animation where you lose control of the ball. I know people would probably hate that but 2k should consider implementing some kind of variation of this to cut down on dribble spamming.
I'd love for that to happen. One thing, though: That hop shot animation that spammers use, I'm willing to bet, would more than likely 'reset' whatever mechanic there is that would measure what the game could consider as 'overdribbling.' That's how they'd get around it.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexicphish
I think the way to remedy this is to have stamina play a bigger role. The more you chain moves together the bigger hit to stamina each subsequent move makes. The lower your stamina bar the lower your shot percentage and ball security should be.

I'm playing CH 2K8 and there is a game mechanic where if you spam dribble moves you run the risk of triggering an animation where you lose control of the ball. I know people would probably hate that but 2k should consider implementing some kind of variation of this to cut down on dribble spamming.

This would tricky to implement I don't want 2K to make it so guys can't dribble period but this system in place now where guys are encouraged to run back and Forth doing the little hop and stuff for 20 sec isn't exactly ideal either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #20
Pro

MrBallaBoy21's Arena

OVR: 8

I wonder if a full fledged combo system can be put in place like with fighting games? Only certain dribble inputs on the controller can activate a dribble chain animation(that's based on actual pro basketball moves). If you put in too many inputs you stumble with your dribble and the chain resets.

A version of it is already in the game. If I try to do a double btb chain with my PF he stumples with the dribble for a bit and has to get his balance back. It should be like that for every player to a certain degree based on ratings.

This way, actual on ball steal opportunities would present themselves and they could tone down on ball steals overall.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelumfang
Problem is, I don't think it CAN be fixed. I don't think game mechanics will ever allow it to be fixed, to be honest. Being able to blow by much taller opponents can be, but things like rebounding, contests, etc will always favor the bigger player model.
You guys realize that height matters a helluvalot in basketball right? The NBA is not full of skyscrapers for no reason.

I would almost argue height doesn't matter ENOUGH in nba 2k. In the last 40 years you could count on 1 hand the number of rebounding leaders that were under 6'10. Ben Wallace who was as monster of a 6'9 player as you could imagine, Rodman, Barkley...I can't think of anyone else. maybe you can count on 3 fingers.

How about blocks leaders: Elton Brand is the only one I can think of.

Its way too easy for any small player, non-lockdown player to get blocks on centers. How many times have you seen a PG jump up and block a 2 handed dunk from the front of a 7' player? It happens sure, but not many. Not even many from behind even though that is more reasonable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #22
Pro

MrBallaBoy21's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxmike
You guys realize that height matters a helluvalot in basketball right? The NBA is not full of skyscrapers for no reason.

I would almost argue height doesn't matter ENOUGH in nba 2k. In the last 40 years you could count on 1 hand the number of rebounding leaders that were under 6'10. Ben Wallace who was as monster of a 6'9 player as you could imagine, Rodman, Barkley...I can't think of anyone else. maybe you can count on 3 fingers.
Oh god no. Height and wingspan already mean everything in 2k as it is. When in reality, positioning is the most important when it comes to rebounding.

The only 7fters that led the league in rebounding in this age of basketball are Olajuwan and David Robinson (Even when Kareem was in his prime Moses Malone led the league in rebounding yearly) and they weren't even listed over 7'1. But in 2k everyone makes a 7'3 bigman that can just jump over you and reach over your box out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...unding_leaders

Players like Boban Marjanovic and Yao Ming can't be stopped on the glass in this game and in real life they can't/couldn't get a rebound outside of their area to save their lives because they're just too big and don't have enough mobility.

Last edited by MrBallaBoy21; 03-15-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxmike

How about blocks leaders: Elton Brand is the only one I can think of.

Its way too easy for any small player, non-lockdown player to get blocks on centers. How many times have you seen a PG jump up and block a 2 handed dunk from the front of a 7' player? It happens sure, but not many. Not even many from behind even though that is more reasonable.
Apples and Oranges.

When it comes to height and contests/rebounds - I think you probably have a point. My Post Scorer is affected way to much by 6' PG's who I should be burying in the paint.

My issue is lateral agility and on ball defense. I have a 6'7 LDD who cannot move laterally and "stick" to the ball handler as well as my 7'1 Post scorer.

What's even more comical is how difficult it is for the 6'7 LDD PG to get a chasedown block (despite a gold badge) in relation to how easy it is for the 7'1 player to get a chasedown block (Bronze). Somehow the 7'1 player is actually faster than the 6'7 player.

There is an issue with how this game balances speed. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. My 7'1 post scorer can't move as fast laterally as my LDD, but when I'm on a ballhandler he just sticks to the guy better. It doesn't make sense.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
Apples and Oranges.

When it comes to height and contests/rebounds - I think you probably have a point. My Post Scorer is affected way to much by 6' PG's who I should be burying in the paint.

My issue is lateral agility and on ball defense. I have a 6'7 LDD who cannot move laterally and "stick" to the ball handler as well as my 7'1 Post scorer.

What's even more comical is how difficult it is for the 6'7 LDD PG to get a chasedown block (despite a gold badge) in relation to how easy it is for the 7'1 player to get a chasedown block (Bronze). Somehow the 7'1 player is actually faster than the 6'7 player.

There is an issue with how this game balances speed. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. My 7'1 post scorer can't move as fast laterally as my LDD, but when I'm on a ballhandler he just sticks to the guy better. It doesn't make sense.
I think its the strength and the wingspan. I think people really underestimate the 1 on 1 defense ability of a big man. Its easier to get past a small quick player than a big strong player (who also is relatively athletic like an NBA player). For example I think it would be easier to get around Chris Paul than Anthony Davis 1 on 1.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »