Home

Hankering for a good bball game. 2k11 vs 2k17

This is a discussion on Hankering for a good bball game. 2k11 vs 2k17 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12

I enjoyed 2K11, and 2k8 before it. Since then, the controls have gotten pretty poor in my opinion. My player doesn't seem to go to the spots I want him to. The foot planting fights with me when I try to turn around, sprint or side step. The moves have become complicated to pull off. Rather than a quick step and drive to the hoop, I have to do some combination of commands like a Mortal Kombat game and then watch the animation play out to see if I succeeded or not. At least that's how it's felt the past few years.

Am I missing something?

What is the best bball game to play TODAY? Should I go with 2K17, 2K11, or something else?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Hankering for a good bball game. 2k11 vs 2k17

What you're describing is input delay. I agree, controls aren't very responsive. It's a little better this year in my opinion but still very noticeable. 2K11 certainly didn't have that and was a great game. I also thought 2K14 for only 360/PS3 was very good, but that just one mans opinion. The defensive AI is also ridiculously bad for users on 2K17 so it has its flaws but I do think 17 is a solid game but maybe not what you are looking for.

XBLGT: tjor24
Old 03-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Offline Input Delay in a game is not cool but when you press left and the guy dribbles left and back or up because there's a defender that needs to be interacted with is crazy. I can't count how many times I actually grabbed a rebound and tried to get out of the paint asap with no one behind me but the invisible walls kept me bumping into the other would be rebounders between me and the rim..

I liked 11 and 8 the most like a lot of gamers and remember the online being soooo buttery that the only thing you had to really adjust to were the shot releases. The offline portion of these games moved and responded to inputs promptly like a game should. Compared to the last 4 games created for the newer generation of consoles, 2k11 and 2k8 lack the glitz and glamour but have the control fluidity down to a tee.

In 2k17 "sometimes" a guy can guard your right side and force you left and if you see an opening to the hoop as a result of that defensive decision there is a very good chance that you CANNOT take that straight line to the cup because the game just wont let you move that way. You have use a speed boost animation to GO or use right stick dribble moves to pull it off (Mortal Kombat Button Presses). A straight line! "Sometimes"

If you can play 2k11 and enjoy it more than 2k17 then you should play that game. You can't go wrong with that choice unless you wanna play with others online which means you'll have to pop in 2k16 or 2k17. I don't know if 2k15's servers are still up.

At cheese, I'm trash. At basketball, I'm great!

NCAAMadnet
BadGuy

Last edited by sooperb; 03-29-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Left things out.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 2

2k14 last gen in my opinion is a better playing game control wise than 15 and 16 especially after the patches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperb
Offline Input Delay in a game is not cool but when you press left and the guy dribbles left and back or up because there's a defender that needs to be interacted with is crazy. I can't count how many times I actually grabbed a rebound and tried to get out of the paint asap with no one behind me but the invisible walls kept me bumping into the other would be rebounders between me and the rim..

I liked 11 and 8 the most like a lot of gamers and remember the online being soooo buttery that the only thing you had to really adjust to were the shot releases. The offline portion of these games moved and responded to inputs promptly like a game should. Compared to the last 4 games created for the newer generation of consoles, 2k11 and 2k8 lack the glitz and glamour but have the control fluidity down to a tee.

In 2k17 "sometimes" a guy can guard your right side and force you left and if you see an opening to the hoop as a result of that defensive decision there is a very good chance that you CANNOT take that straight line to the cup because the game just wont let you move that way. You have use a speed boost animation to GO or use right stick dribble moves to pull it off (Mortal Kombat Button Presses). A straight line! "Sometimes"

If you can play 2k11 and enjoy it more than 2k17 then you should play that game. You can't go wrong with that choice unless you wanna play with others online which means you'll have to pop in 2k16 or 2k17. I don't know if 2k15's servers are still up.
My exact experiences! There are some features in 2K17 that appeal to me, like the custom rotations. I'm a player-lock offline vs AI kind of player. I really want the control of 2K8 with the features and presentation of 2K17. It seems like every year they take a step forward and a step backward, so I'm constantly in this dissatisfied state with sports games. 2K8 really was the definitive version. There wasn't any reason to stick with a previous version. That's dang rare for me with sports games today. I think they do it on purpose. They save some of the goodies for future versions rather than give us the best of the best in one version.

I don't experience input delay, it's animation delay. My player doesn't react as quickly as I do because the animations are drawn out too long in order for the game to look as realistic as possible. Gameplay seriously suffers because of this. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing an old Dragon's Lair game rather than a sports game. But then everyone praises the newest version every year,"Best basketball game ever!" So I can only think I'm just not doing something right. So I keep playing and trying to figure it out, but I find myself way too often screaming at my screen,"Bull crap! I was pressing left!! What the heck!?"

You know a sports game got it right when you're constantly in a state of,"Man, that felt good! I totally did that!" The game plays out the way it feels it should have in your hands. I miss that feeling.

Last edited by Boge; 03-29-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »