Home

How do you Handle the Offseason?

This is a discussion on How do you Handle the Offseason? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18
How do you Handle the Offseason?

NBA 2K17 is the best sports game I've ever played, when it comes to a franchise mode experience. Truthfully, nothing comes close on a console.

With that said, perhaps the biggest constructive criticism I can offer for the game's franchise mode is that the handling of staff in the offseason is rather sporadic with an over-inflation of transactions taking place with coaches, staff, etc.

Do you get involved to handle some of this yourself using 30-team control? I feel the game already does a good enough job with roster management, and there are sliders to tighten up areas that you may feel need a boost. However, when it comes to the handling of staff, it's a bit all over the place.

Thanks for sharing! I'm preparing to do another NBA 2K series for OS, and I want to make sure I take an approach that will help out the most people, and also allow the game to shine as much as possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How do you Handle the Offseason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe

With that said, perhaps the biggest constructive criticism I can offer for the game's franchise mode is that the handling of staff in the offseason is rather sporadic with an over-inflation of transactions taking place with coaches, staff, etc.

Do you get involved to handle some of this yourself using 30-team control? I feel the game already does a good enough job with roster management, and there are sliders to tighten up areas that you may feel need a boost. However, when it comes to the handling of staff, it's a bit all over the place.

I love the offseason for 2K17 -- it's really streamlined compared to past years and I can get through it, using 30 team control, in about a day or two for all teams overall.

I involve myself in all aspects of teams in the offseason with 30 team control. Trades, roster signings, position switches, drafting, etc. The staff is an area where the game is, as you pointed out, really fond of switching around coaches/staff with short notice.

The staff hiring/firing logic is wacky. I've seen Popovich get let go by the Spurs and hired by the 76ers, I've seen Steve Kerr hired by the Bulls, I've seen random 2K created coaches replace guys with long-tenured and successful coaching careers (like Spolestra with the Heat).

When I do 30-team control, I like to evaluate each staff member (primarily the HC and assistant coach) on the basis of the three year window, which goes something like this:

1. What has the team's record been over the last three years?

It's easy to fire a guy who's team has finished with a losing record the last three years and well outside the playoffs. These types of guys (think Byron Scott) are the easiest to dismiss.

But there are always underlying factors in a team's record ...

Were there multiple injuries/major injuries to players on the roster?

Was there discourse in the roster (low team chemistry)?

Did the division/conference see a major star arrive and upset the balance?

Considering these questions in addition with the first, if I find a coach has underperformed based on where I expected him to a significant degree, then firing him is easy.

2. If the team recently made the playoffs (within the last two seasons), how did they perform?

If the coach gets his team in the playoffs, then that's good -- even if it was expected. But did they get bounced easily or did they make their opponents fight for it? The postseason is the NBA's "second season" and getting there is fine, but you have to show something if you do.

If your team constantly underperforms in the playoffs despite roster talent, then you -- as the coach -- are likely to be let go.

3. What were the team's expectations?

The team's expectations can nullify the first two questions -- say, for instance, you're the 76ers. You know your team will have a losing record and show minimal improvement year-to-year as you're rebuilding. You're clearly not making the playoffs.

So, does the coach's and staff's performance help the organization's goal? If you're the 76ers, that goal would be to develop your talent and lay the foundation for competing for playoff berths. If Brett Brown wasn't doing that, and the player development had become stunted, then firing him would be understandable.

Outside considering the fates of the HC and AC, I also look at the trainer -- for some reason 2K had tied the trainer's abilities to the number of training camps you have access to.

If your trainer sucks, you'll get 1 training camp you can send a player to.

If they're good (A+ level) then you'll get 4 training camps you can send players to.

I dislike this system -- I preferred the last gen system where accomplishing certain tasks during the course of the season (rookie averaging over X amount of minutes per game, win streaks, awards) would give you points which you could then spend on developing your players.

I realize, however, that they made this change in part to keep certain organizations/teams from becoming all-powerful within a few years time thanks to their amazing consistency (like the Spurs). By limiting the amount of training camps per team, they effectively leveled the playing field.

But I dislike that it's dependent on the trainer's level. So, during the offseason, I edit every trainer to have a solid A rating, guaranteeing each team three training camps.

I then, for the majority of teams, mandate that one young player be sent to the "Untapped Potential" camp in order to raise their potential level and the likelihood of becoming a solid, contributing player for that team.

For team's in the "WIN NOW" mode (LeBron's Cavs, Warriors) I make sure that they're best players and one role player get camp time, as those teams are heavily dependent on winning ASAP in order to be good.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
Pro

I follow real life story lines, or things that would make sense.
Coach Pop isn't leaving for the nets, Steve Kerr isn't leaving for Cleveland, I make sure the coach's stay unless there has been a serious disappointment with a good Roster (Looking at you Dwayne Casey, 30 to the bucks sir?). Along with Trades and draft pick trades. I also user control the first 5 draft picks, and sign free agents to likely teams. (Carmelo Isn't resigning with Knicks, I'd probably trade him before he reaches free agency). After that I go back to user controlling one team, with trade approval on to the Cavs don't Trade Tristan Thompson and somehow land Rudy Gobert.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
MVP

BBallcoach's Arena

OVR: 7

I only interfere when moves make 0 sense. Like a team not matching an RFA or anything like that. Other than that, i treat myleague like it's own world. So i have veto power over trades, which i decline a ton but FA moves I let teams mostly do their thing. Like I made sure Dallas matched Noel offers. They aren't letting him walk.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
Rookie

Sitew33's Arena

As far as the coaches I control all 30 teams at the the start. I then fire and rehire every coach with their real salaries and contract lengths that way I don't even worry about coaching move I the off-season.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #6
Rookie

iFnotWhyNoT's Arena

MyLeague automation - staff hiring - manual - all teams

Untouchables - I set for all teams [by the way I love that feature]

Targets - I set for all teams based on expectations, money, hometown, coaching, need...you get the idea

Trades - I have to approve all trades [I'm the league haha]

I think that is basically it, I don't want to have too much control where I hand pick everything for them I want to let the teams succeed or fail for the most part. It's fun setting your "realistic" parameters for teams and watching free agency unfold.

...You know what would be nice, It just hit me, how about expanding the "targets" feature to have league and draft targets you can set.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »