Home

Is it that hard to code in AI to sub out when in foul trouble?

This is a discussion on Is it that hard to code in AI to sub out when in foul trouble? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #17
MVP

MavsManiac4Life's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Is it that hard to code in AI to sub out when in foul trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWRMETS
Can you explain this? I thought advanced rotations are the problem. The CPU rigidly follows the rotations and will not consider foul trouble at all. This takes a big element out of the game.
They'll help your CPU take guys out of the game at certain times (so no one is gonna play the whole first quarter and pick up three fouls in the process if you set it up), but no, it won't actually recognize that a guy needs to sit out for fouling, just will have a rotation so that they're subbed out regardless.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #18
MVP

Koosa1027's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Can you explain this? I thought advanced rotations are the problem. The CPU rigidly follows the rotations and will not consider foul trouble at all. This takes a big element out of the game.
Advanced rotations are the problem, that's why myself and others have edited them to match the teams' real rotation patterns. At default 2k has some teams playing 5 starters for 5 or 6 minutes, then they have 4 or 5 bench players come in to replace them all at once. With the edited advanced rotations you can stagger the substitutions and even set a player such as Durant to play certain amount of minutes at SF and a certain amount of minutes at PF as Golden state does in real life. Hope this makes sense, are you on ps4??

~Koosa10:27~
SIM is a MINDSET...Don't cheat the game and you'll get better results ~Koosa10:27~
Old 10-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #19
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koosa1027
Advanced rotations are the problem, that's why myself and others have edited them to match the teams' real rotation patterns. At default 2k has some teams playing 5 starters for 5 or 6 minutes, then they have 4 or 5 bench players come in to replace them all at once. With the edited advanced rotations you can stagger the substitutions and even set a player such as Durant to play certain amount of minutes at SF and a certain amount of minutes at PF as Golden state does in real life. Hope this makes sense, are you on ps4??

Appreciate the work but 2k really needs to fix this. I have old games on the Genesis that knew to take a player out when he has 2 fouls in the first, 3 in the second, four in the third. I am surprised this is not the major issue for most players.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #20
MVP

Koosa1027's Arena

Quote:
Appreciate the work but 2k really needs to fix this. I have old games on the Genesis that knew to take a player out when he has 2 fouls in the first, 3 in the second, four in the third. I am surprised this is not the major issue for most players.
It is a major problem for me...Im still hoping they will update the advanced rotations through a roster update after the season starts to replicate how teams are using players...the default rotations are horrible.

SIM is a MINDSET...Don't cheat the game and you'll get better results ~Koosa10:27~
Old 10-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #21
All Star

schnaidt1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koosa1027
Advanced rotations...advanced rotations...and more advanced rotations. Check out the roster share it's some great rotations on there courtesy of Tim Smooth (xbox) and Insight23 (ps4)...I will also be uploading a ps4 set with tweaks for ps4 under koosa1027. Reassigning minutes to players when injuries occur is also a quick process this year with advanced rotations.

advanced rotations cause more of an issue than just setting the minutes...

with advanced rotations the players will only sub out at the set times they are supposed too....they will stay in no matter how many fouls otherwise...

at least with the basic minutes allotment they will sub out if from fouls...I learned that the hard way last year..

Games I'm playing: NBA 2k, Madden, MLB the Show, Division 2, Warzone

Please subscribe to my youtube channel for gaming content. https://youtu.be/PXU8cqLnq6w
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2017, 05:21 PM   #22
MVP

Koosa1027's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnaidt1

with advanced rotations the players will only sub out at the set times they are supposed too....they will stay in no matter how many fouls otherwise...

at least with the basic minutes allotment they will sub out if from fouls...I learned that the hard way last year..
With the basic minutes allotment are you seeing mass subs with 4 or 5 players subbing at once?? Or did you edit the minute allotments to solve the mass sub problems? I guess for me the mass subs bother me more than the foul trouble occurences and advanced rotations definitely fixes this for me, hopefully 2k can fix the no subbing when in foul trouble.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #23
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnaidt1

So the CPU follows the basic minute allotment with regular subs? How does the subbing work.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #24
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I'm not trying to be flip, but it clearly is hard for them, because it has never been done correctly. Some years it's better than others but there is always problems in this area.

Whatever logic errors causes this issue is probably the same thing that causes all the problems with regular substitution patterns, i.e. starters who aren't in foul trouble being on the bench for the last several minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarters.
Well actually they use to have it right, with AI managing foul trouble. I think it was around NBA2k13 or 14 they screwed it up, and they havent fixed it. Its stuff like this that burns my hide about NBA2k or devs in general, if you cant fix something, tells us, dont just ignore the issue altogether. There isnt no way they cant know this is a issue, many have complained about it, and unless they have never played the AI, which I doubt thats the case. Its also stuff like this that makes me even wonder if they test the game with Human vs CPU.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »