Home

Taking advantage of mismatches

This is a discussion on Taking advantage of mismatches within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Taking advantage of mismatches

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I'm experiencing this a lot. Somehow, my players are being stopped by the CPU's arm.

In the NBA, if an arm even entered the vicinity of another player's chest, it'd be a reach-in or shooting foul depending on the situation.

Just look at this year's playoffs with the foul-drawing on high pick and rolls.

It's ridiculous that 2K's CPU is able to get away with so many egregious no-calls.

And then when they do get called, it's because of a forced, canned animation.

Everything in 2K17, when playing with real FG% against the CPU, just feels premeditated. There's pretty much no fun.

I play almost exclusively with my brother/friends offline. Online there's too much frustration to be had. Either with yourself or opponents.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 8

I've said this before but I believe much of these issues are tied to the over emphasis on "overall rating." Currently rotations, trades, free agent signings, contracts, playing time, it is all connected to overall ratings. Plus you have the 2k players, media, and even real life NBA players that make a huge deal of so and so being an 89 instead of a 95.

What does all this mean? It means those who do the ratings must "cheat" to keep them close. 2k players would panic if 10th man types were suddenly all in the 52 range and 10 day contract type guys in the low 40s. But that is really what the game needs to separate the stars from the lesser players. Currently to artificially keep overall ratings high and closer together, bigs get speed ratings, quickness, etc. that are much too high. This results in users not being able to exploit mismatches like they should. You even have the artificial intangibles ratings this year which seems to be nothing more than a way to bump up certain guys to a higher overall so they will get the "right" contracts, playing time, etc.

I imagine beyond the player/media issues, that changing the system drastically to account for larger disparities in overall but still get somewhat accurate trades, playing time, contracts, rotations, drafting, etc. would be a monumental task. Each attribute would have to have certain values (such as a 3 and D player having a 60 overall but getting a better contract than a 75 overall due to their skill set). As a result I don't hold my breath and expect this and similar on court issues to struggle to be fixed.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #35
Pro

The acceleration is tied into the ball handling rating, which was a big mistake. If you don't have at least an 85 ball handle, you won't be getting past anyone. And that's a problem.

2K is protecting it's bad defensive rotations. You can fix this for the most part by upping the speed and acceleration slider, then going into your roster and maxing out everyones help D IQ. Then put body up sensitivity to 0, and lateral quickness down to 0. This makes things much more realistic. But it's really just a hot fix. 2K needs to design defense around smart rotations for nba 2k18.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #36
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dione2014
The acceleration is tied into the ball handling rating, which was a big mistake. If you don't have at least an 85 ball handle, you won't be getting past anyone. And that's a problem.

2K is protecting it's bad defensive rotations. You can fix this for the most part by upping the speed and acceleration slider, then going into your roster and maxing out everyones help D IQ. Then put body up sensitivity to 0, and lateral quickness down to 0. This makes things much more realistic. But it's really just a hot fix. 2K needs to design defense around smart rotations for nba 2k18.

Tried body sensitive to 0, it was real bad. I'm curious though how ball handling can affect the cpu acceleration.

Mismatches definitely works to our advantage against the cpu. If u (guard or forward) are in the triple threat, use the jabstep move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2017, 11:30 PM   #37
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFri
Tried body sensitive to 0, it was real bad. I'm curious though how ball handling can affect the cpu acceleration.

Mismatches definitely works to our advantage against the cpu. If u (guard or forward) are in the triple threat, use the jabstep move.

CPU acceleration is crazy to me. I'm using a 2017 class where De'Aaron Fox has 96 acceleration, and his acceleration isn't even close to the acceleration of CPU John Wall who has 90 acceleration
Old 05-09-2017, 07:58 AM   #38
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Jumping speeds of the bigs is a huge problem. The game should have 4 jumping speeds and jumping heights. Poor, average, good, and elite.

The speed and height that defensive bigs jump at on this game is ridiculous. I constantly see slow unathletic players like Greg Monroe explode off the floor to block mid range jumpers and layups. If Monroe had slow jumping animations where he barely got off the floor, it would be easier to exploit him in space covering a quick guard. Same thing goes for bigs changing directions. They are way to quick at shifting from side to side in a defensive stance.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 05-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #39
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
Jumping speeds of the bigs is a huge problem. The game should have 4 jumping speeds and jumping heights. Poor, average, good, and elite.

The speed and height that defensive bigs jump at on this game is ridiculous. I constantly see slow unathletic players like Greg Monroe explode off the floor to block mid range jumpers and layups. If Monroe had slow jumping animations where he barely got off the floor, it would be easier to exploit him in space covering a quick guard. Same thing goes for bigs changing directions. They are way to quick at shifting from side to side in a defensive stance.
I see this a lot with Yao Ming.

Yao had a 20 inch vertical. Not a 45 inch vertical. He shouldn't be jumping that high in the air to block shots and get rebounds.

However, people like Cody Zeller, Festus Ezeli, Dwight Howard, Clint Capela, Andre Drummond, etc. who all have crazy good leaping ability for their size should be jumping that high.

Cody Zeller has a very short wingspan. He's not an outstanding rebounder, but he's a good rebounder and he's a good one for a reason. He's got some insane hops. Rudy Gobert on the other hand has some not so insane hops, but he's a great rebounder because he has a 9'9" standing reach. You should be able to feel all of this when you're playing the game.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:35 AM   #40
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAWereWolf65
I see this a lot with Yao Ming.

Yao had a 20 inch vertical. Not a 45 inch vertical. He shouldn't be jumping that high in the air to block shots and get rebounds.

However, people like Cody Zeller, Festus Ezeli, Dwight Howard, Clint Capela, Andre Drummond, etc. who all have crazy good leaping ability for their size should be jumping that high.

Cody Zeller has a very short wingspan. He's not an outstanding rebounder, but he's a good rebounder and he's a good one for a reason. He's got some insane hops. Rudy Gobert on the other hand has some not so insane hops, but he's a great rebounder because he has a 9'9" standing reach. You should be able to feel all of this when you're playing the game.

Hardcore sim nation!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »