Home

Is everyone here OK with the ridiculously high rate at which 3 pointers go in?

This is a discussion on Is everyone here OK with the ridiculously high rate at which 3 pointers go in? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2018, 04:40 AM   #1
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

OVR: 0
Question Is everyone here OK with the ridiculously high rate at which 3 pointers go in?

I'm shocked given the "sim" nature of this forum how little negative feedback there's been about how ridiculously easy it is to hit 3 pointers in NBA2K19.

This isn't just about Sharphooters in the MyPlayer modes (Rec/Park/Pro Am) being broken in terms of both distance and ease of 3 point shots making 2 point shots seem basically worthless... it's also the case where what should be a viable strategy (like sagging off Russell Westbrook for example) isn't viable because the game gives far too much of a "boost" just for being open as opposed to the shooter's abilities.

I get that many of you play MyLeague and can manually turn down sliders to make open 3's hit at a realistic rate, but for the rest of us who enjoy playing online as well, seeing people shoot 9/10 for 3 in a majority of games just kills the variety and skill needed to play good basketball.

It also inherently de-values interior players, both in terms of post scoring/dunking/layups/floaters/midrange etc. but also for shot blockers and rebounders as there's no chance to block 3's, and no chance to grab rebounds when everything goes in.

Given that Steph Curry (regarded as the greatest shooter ever) shoots something like 45% on open 3's, I have no idea what the gameplay guys at 2K are thinking allowing such a high rate of 3's to go in.

YES, if you contest the 3 closely it lowers the chance, but just being "open" shouldn't be a HUNDRED PERCENT chance of hitting the 3... I mean even capping it at something like 70% would be a big improvement and still way better than anyone has ever shot in real life.

What are your thoughts on 3 point shooting overall at the moment?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2018, 05:08 AM   #2
Rookie

3ShowTime2's Arena

Re: Is everyone here OK with the ridiculously high rate at which 3 pointers go in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeafClover
I'm shocked given the "sim" nature of this forum how little negative feedback there's been about how ridiculously easy it is to hit 3 pointers in NBA2K19.

Little negative feedback? Its been discussed excessivelyhere in various threads including feedback threads. Im also pretty sure that 2k has noticed the feedback on twitter etc.

I dont have anything more to say regarding 3pt shooting in general sorry. Its op, simple, and the way its currently implemented does not resemble anything close to bball.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:32 AM   #3
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Is everyone here OK with the ridiculously high rate at which 3 pointers go in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ShowTime2
Little negative feedback? Its been discussed excessivelyhere in various threads including feedback threads. Im also pretty sure that 2k has noticed the feedback on twitter etc.

I dont have anything more to say regarding 3pt shooting in general sorry. Its op, simple, and the way its currently implemented does not resemble anything close to bball.
I hate the high 3pt percentages too but to be fair....the real NBA is dominated by 3pt shooting. There's no getting around that. So i can see why its similar in 2k...
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Old 10-24-2018, 06:26 AM   #4
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ShowTime2

Well apologies as the search function on this forum might suck as returned no results with it in the title. With how severe it is it deserves its own dedicated topic in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
I hate the high 3pt percentages too but to be fair....the real NBA is dominated by 3pt shooting. There's no getting around that. So i can see why its similar in 2k...
It's not a matter of volume, but efficiency. Shooting a high AMOUNT of 3s is fine; hitting 80+% of them is not.

Especially when they're worth an extra point and the whole purpose of them existing in the NBA is their added difficulty vs. 2 point shots.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
Rookie

3ShowTime2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti

I dont care about the volume, people can take as much 3pt shots as they want if they like to play that way. Its the % at which they fall as you say yourself and especially the type of 3pt shots (hello fadeaway halfcourt shots that get buffed by limitless range, deeprange deadeye, difficult shots and possibly dimer) that go in at that clip.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #7
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3

really shocked and disappointed by the lack of communication from Mike Wang on this, this game is really close to being really good. I'm an optimist and a bball junkie and still having fun with it despite the flaws, but to not have any type of communication on this is mind boggling.

I only play park online. I can live with the inflated percentages on catch and shoot situations, there has to be adjustment to moving/fading 3 point shots, as well as a stiff penalty on shots after a certain number of dribbles from the pure shooting builds. zig - zagging behind a pick should become a low percentage proposition. I believe they were able to patch this in in 16 or 17. this will encourage more team ball and more dynamic play. this with a slight buff to inside shooting and we are in a much better place imo.

Last edited by ruxpinke; 10-24-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
Rookie

The game will never be "sim" online because of green releases. Ever since they introduced that mechanic 2k became more arcadey every year. I don't know who thought making 100% of your open shots because you "timed your release correctly" was a good idea. Online is closer to playing nba jam than an nba simulation. 2k dug themselves a hole because people already invested time and money into their shooters and they can't nerf it.

The game is essentially a 3pt shootout online and whoever make the most will win. Why attempt a layup if it only worth two points and there a high chance you will miss when you can green a three pointer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »