Home

NBA 2k18 - Another VC grind fest?

This is a discussion on NBA 2k18 - Another VC grind fest? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #41
Rookie

HeatLifer's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2k18 - Another VC grind fest?

In years past if you didn't have internet connection, the grind was the same, just labeled as attribute points.

So if you go online you had access to purchasing. But the offline product was the grind with no way of speeding it up.

So you were basically forced to grind with no other alternative if you wanted a high overall offline.

If every shirt you want costs VC, and every shoe, etc, it makes sense hair etc would be reasonable to include.

I'm in the group that, I really think what you CHOOSE (crossover, jumpshot, shoe) should MATTER. So yes, I want you to have to prioritize.

Nothing is given, everything is earned (even if you broke your back at your day/night job for it).

Another perspective, why are we not valuing the labor players are putting in on their 60 hour work week they put towards their game? "They're not the problem it's the kids/cheesers"... so it's the player that is the problem with the VC then right?

Last edited by HeatLifer; 09-08-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #42
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
And gamers responded by giving them millions of dollars. That's very messed up if you really think about it.
Gamers love basketball. I love basketball. Unfortunately it's a big business too

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #43
Rookie

Khaos_Kiwi's Arena

Wow talk about deja vu. We went through this same **** last year with this thread here: The VC issue - perfectly put in words

There's some really well though out posts in that thread detailing the continued subtle (and sometimes otherwise) changes to the games since the implementation of VC.

Those supporting this practice seem like they have a case of Stockholm Syndrome. They proudly wear it as a 'badge of honour', that they feel the need to justify these business practices.

I get there being some satisfaction in working towards something to achieve cooler/better things (it's why I like games like Destiny), but lets be real here. The increasing of the VC costs for attributes, animations, gear etc is not for the purpose of giving you a more challenging and rewarding gameplay experience. It's simply to line the pockets of the Take-Two execs.

Year after year they have made it more difficult to earn VC, all the while continuing to increase costs or even add new ways to get you to spend it.

This is because they don't want you to earn it, they want you to buy it.

I'm solely an offline MyCareer player so I couldn't give two ****s about trying to justify this as a way to balance the online portion of the mode, there's plenty of other ways they could do effectively do this (how about finally separate the modes for once?).

If this was a free-to-play game then I could see these business practices a suitably justifiable.

But it's not a free-to-play game.

Sometimes I wonder what the media and wider gaming audiences' reaction would be if this wasn't just an annually released sports title. Would it then get more attention.

Like what if in the next Battlefield game, Dice made it so that you had to be XX level to even drive a tank. But if you bought this pack that increased your XP so you didn't have to grind in order to unlock the ability.

I could guarantee you the backlash would be immense. I mean, look at the reaction to the shader issue in Destiny 2 atm. And that's something that is purely cosmetic!

I wasn't going to write such a lengthy post initially, since my concerns clearly fell on deaf ears the last time I shared them in the thread from last year, but I just wanted to give it one last shot.

To those who want to argue against this, just know that I'm not trying to affect your enjoyment of the game (hell I'm going to be buying it on release), but instead I'm trying to let the devs know that we are fed up with these increasingly devious and greedy business practices.

Have a good one guys
Old 09-08-2017, 10:19 PM   #44
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Hopefully we still get significant VC bonuses from Endorsements.

At some point we will expect to see an the payout for games double just so we can better handle these extra charges and hiked prices year to year.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YannisLB
I still have no idea if you can grind to 99 jsut by playing offline or if you HAVE TO play the parc to reach this ?

May be I missed the information
No u don't, u can grind career if u want to. This yr u can play any mode to reach 99. Career, park, or pro am

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2017, 10:43 PM   #46
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicMan
No u don't, u can grind career if u want to. This yr u can play any mode to reach 99. Career, park, or pro am

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
The option to grind , without buying VC , has always been there, but people don't want to and complain about it. It's kind of hypocritical

Old 09-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 10

I'm not buying it. I won't call it a boycott. I'm just like heh. I expressed my concerns about it, though. There is a lot I dislike about the direction, though, I dislike the bucket upgrade system, too.

I think VC is one of those things that if people are loving the game, they will pay for it, but if they aren't... I mean, with all the money they make on VC I would have liked to see more things than x player on the cover... Lavar Ball text messages, live park music. It's like man I really don't care about that. Make it so the game doesn't lag online. Make it so it doesn't kick you off or when you do get kicked off you can re-enter the game.

I don't love 2k, and I haven't loved it for a bit. Been playing less and less each year, so that's why VC is a glaring issue for me. It's easier for me to see it than the people who are so enamored with 2k.

It'd also be less offensive if they just set a bar for what costs VC when they introduced it and left it at that, instead of like gradually charging more and for more things. It's obvious they are trying to force you to buy even more VC, and that doesn't sit well. I bought the game last year and was like so what, I'm not buying VC, but now I realize that was a mistake. This year, not buying.

Oh well. I will continue to offer suggestions from time to time, probably. Cuz I want 2k to be a good game even if I don't play it. I want kids to have a good bball game to play. I mean most of us have given 2k thousands of dollars over the years, so we should be able to speak our minds.

-Smak
Old 09-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #48
MVP

ph33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
The option to grind , without buying VC , has always been there, but people don't want to and complain about it. It's kind of hypocritical

How is that hypocritical? It's being critical of a game design. That's not what being a hypocrite means. People can not want to buy VC and still express why so many things are wrong.

Read through that thread, see the same recycled arguments. I think it's simply this:

A lot of us clamor for a ranked 5 v 5 mode that we can jump into. Nobody wants to be a superstar quickly or even said, so please don't bring that up for the 100000th time. It's not about being impatient. We just want a competitive 5 on 5 mode that is balanced. And right now, that has quite the entry barrier of time and/or money.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »