Home

Court Size needs to be addressed in 2k18.

This is a discussion on Court Size needs to be addressed in 2k18. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Court Size needs to be addressed in 2k18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudanmalkovich
players and the court sizes are pretty accurate, but footplanting is all wrong. eating up way more space even for very subtle movements.
yeah therefore the court size IS wrong after all.
it is one of the legacy problems that they're not willing to, or just don't have skills to fix.
Its either a footplanting issue or a court sizing issue, not both. If you fix one (assuming this is the cause of the problem), you shouldn't have to change the other. And if the court sizing is already accurate, its obviously not the one that should be changed.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 4

Court size to players are probably perfect but thats not 2ks issue. Every player in 2k covers too much ground. That invisible circle around every player adds to the player model also.

Since it doesnt take any effort to initiate animations in this game, adds to what you can cover also.

Footplanting needs a lot of work.

Biggest issue is defense needs a ton of work also.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #11
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonWuan
Court size to players are probably perfect but thats not 2ks issue. Every player in 2k covers too much ground. That invisible circle around every player adds to the player model also.

Since it doesnt take any effort to initiate animations in this game, adds to what you can cover also.

Footplanting needs a lot of work.

Biggest issue is defense needs a ton of work also.

Co-sign. Foot planting and movement/speed is the culprit not court size.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2017, 10:36 PM   #12
Pro

SuperNoVa27's Arena

OVR: 6

Guys, the point of that last little paragraph is that altering the court size will allow them the possibility to create a more realistic locomotion or "foot-planting" system. It's not about what change is more logical. I stated in the OP that I'm aware 2k has accurate dimensions.

The thing is, this isn't the only issue that 2k has. They have to worry about a LOT more issues to fix. Yes, locomotion is the area that makes the court feel small but what do you think would take more time to fix? If they make the court an inaccurate size, it will mask the locomotion problems and make a more enjoyable game. This is under the assumption that changing the size is a quicker fix then rebuilding the entire way players move around.

That seems much more like a two-year issue than a one-year thing. If they just make the court size larger the game will FEEL more accurate despite not factually being equal to real life. Then for future titles they CAN change the foot planting and make the court size accurate again while the "hot-fix" so to speak allows them to better the game in other areas that need to be looked at.

I'd rather play a game that feels like real basketball and have hope that the big issues like the engine and locomotion get changed in the future.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:57 PM   #13
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Ive alwasy felt that the court needed to be a little bigger in NBA2k. Its always seemed a little smaller than it should actually be, IMO.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 05-10-2017, 05:50 AM   #14
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNoVa27
Guys, the point of that last little paragraph is that altering the court size will allow them the possibility to create a more realistic locomotion or "foot-planting" system. It's not about what change is more logical. I stated in the OP that I'm aware 2k has accurate dimensions.

The thing is, this isn't the only issue that 2k has. They have to worry about a LOT more issues to fix. Yes, locomotion is the area that makes the court feel small but what do you think would take more time to fix? If they make the court an inaccurate size, it will mask the locomotion problems and make a more enjoyable game. This is under the assumption that changing the size is a quicker fix then rebuilding the entire way players move around.

That seems much more like a two-year issue than a one-year thing. If they just make the court size larger the game will FEEL more accurate despite not factually being equal to real life. Then for future titles they CAN change the foot planting and make the court size accurate again while the "hot-fix" so to speak allows them to better the game in other areas that need to be looked at.

I'd rather play a game that feels like real basketball and have hope that the big issues like the engine and locomotion get changed in the future.
I know where you were going and I agree. Something, and it may just be me, is off with e player to court ratio. I was fooling around with 2K10 the other day and the player models look smaller than they do today. The devs said everything is to scale so I believe them but NBA Lives court is larger than it supposed to be but it opens up the game more. Like other have said its probably more about player locomotion and animations. Fix one or the other and I think we'd be where we want.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Co-sign. Foot planting and movement/speed is the culprit not court size.

Double co-sign...

They really need to address this area...

They need to focus on the incremental improvements and not the back of box features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #16
Rookie

CBAT's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
2K's developers have repeatedly stated that the dimensions of their court and their players are accurately modeled.

The issues that make the court feel too small are:

1) Everyone in Pro Am is using a character who has maxed out wingspan

2) Defenders are able to cover way too much ground when they are running upright with turbo held down, due to their unrealistically fast speed/acceleration/agility.

3) Late closeouts where the defender is still fairly distant from the shooter have too much impact on shot success.

4) The majority of pass animations are too slow and floaty, while catch animations are often too long and awkward.
I 100% agree on #3 & #4. Late closeouts should not effect my player the way that it does. If you can't consistently hit a shot with a late closeout, you are in deep trouble in all levels of basketball. Shooters are barely effected by this and you get very few wide open shots in real games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »