Home

Are standing shots really that much more potent than moving shots? (SC related)

This is a discussion on Are standing shots really that much more potent than moving shots? (SC related) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2017, 04:18 PM   #33
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Are standing shots really that much more potent than moving shots? (SC related)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Vibes
I hate that this game is so reliant on hotspots.
Hot spots should only be a visual thing like "you tend to make a lot of shots here," but having it give you bonuses is tedious af.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #34
Pro

Re: Are standing shots really that much more potent than moving shots? (SC related)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaryColeman
Hot spots should only be a visual thing like "you tend to make a lot of shots here," but having it give you bonuses is tedious af.

I don't see a way to make it truly represent "you make more shots from here" other than the way we have it now. It's by no means even Remotely close to perfect but it's probably the best system for it RN. We can always make hotspots more of a aid if where players usually shoot from but at that point I don't see why we would even need them because lets say in real life Player A shoots 40% from 3 and gets a 90 3. But Player A Actually shoots 28% from the wing, 30% at the top, and 50% in the corner. 2K doesn't have ratings for each area you shoot from so he will still have his universal 90 3. Without hot spots there is no way to help replicate where he actually shoots from and how effective he is from there and Player A would be hitting shots from anywhere on the court as long as it was from 3 because he still he a 90 that covers the entire 3 point range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 05:26 AM   #35
Pro

Jesus_Swagglesworth's Arena

Idk where the shot creator complaints are coming from. I've been using mine all year and never noticed a drop in greens or %. It's been at the same level as sharpshooters (well, i assume there'd be a minor drop if playmaker badges don't affect SC)

I can green like 50% (maybe overestimation/bias? Lol) of shots and the white bar ones still go in at a VERY high rate due to the 93 off-dribble rating.

I've made and developed one of every archetype and always found myself running back to the SC. It's the best imo

In a game where closeout & shot contest animations are magnetic and at different speeds, being able to take & make shots at any angle without penalty the second you free up enough space to not trigger those contest animations was a meta that went unexplored.

Yeah playmakers can outrun everyone by default, but when ridiculous screens and dribble speedboosts exist, the speed isn't necessary
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #36
Rookie

scoobyskyline3's Arena

The way the shot creator is built with moving/difficult shots being his best skill not being on par with any other builds forte' is concerning.

Another MAJOR factor to pay attention to is that the Shot Creator is the only build that doesnt have two skillsets that go up to 25 attribute bars. With that in mind, if the only one (Shot off dribble) that actually does go up to 25 is not as efficient as any of the other builds, that is a flaw. Especially with the fact that 50-60% of the players you face in pro-AM are sharpshooter/stretch-bigs.

Even the 2KTV article that allows you to vote on your favorite build had a breakdown of 56% while the other builds were around 10-12%
Old 05-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Swagglesworth
Idk where the shot creator complaints are coming from. I've been using mine all year and never noticed a drop in greens or %. It's been at the same level as sharpshooters (well, i assume there'd be a minor drop if playmaker badges don't affect SC)

I can green like 50% (maybe overestimation/bias? Lol) of shots and the white bar ones still go in at a VERY high rate due to the 93 off-dribble rating.

I've made and developed one of every archetype and always found myself running back to the SC. It's the best imo

In a game where closeout & shot contest animations are magnetic and at different speeds, being able to take & make shots at any angle without penalty the second you free up enough space to not trigger those contest animations was a meta that went unexplored.

Yeah playmakers can outrun everyone by default, but when ridiculous screens and dribble speedboosts exist, the speed isn't necessary
The problem is the fact that standing shots will still fall at a higher rate than your moving shots. That's the whole disconnect. I don't care about the misses, it irritated me that I was far more consistent STANDING STILL than I was MOVING. And Im comparing white bar releases vs white bar releases. Plus the fact that your moving shots should be just as consistent as Sharpshooter standing shots.

Try it for yourself.

Last edited by Caelumfang; 05-25-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #38
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelumfang
The problem is the fact that standing shots will still fall at a higher rate than your moving shots. That's the whole disconnect. I don't care about the misses, it irritated me that I was far more consistent STANDING STILL than I was MOVING. And Im comparing white bar releases vs white bar releases. Plus the fact that your moving shots should be just as consistent as Sharpshooter standing shots.

Try it for yourself.
Do you mean open standing shots from sharps vs. open moving shots from shot creators? Or comparing the effectiveness of both from SC perspective?

If comparing sharps and SC, my SC's shooting has been just as consistent as sharps all year throughout every update. Don't know what to say lol. I'd say 9/10 games i'll go like 17/21 FG (yes bad teams), with the occasional bad game happening randomly with no change in strategy.

There's slightly more greens for open sharps imo, but SC still gets plenty of them. I just learned to trigger and green the 3 quickest moving shot animations. One for pull-ups, one for moving left, and one for right. White bars continue to go in at the same rate for me as long as i'm open.

If comparing standing & moving within SC archetype, I think you have to establish your archetypes game early. I noticed this with other archetypes like slashers. I would start the games hot via moving shots, but then i'd miss very makable layups and dunks once I decided to get in.

Last edited by Jesus_Swagglesworth; 05-25-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #39
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Swagglesworth
Do you mean open standing shots from sharps vs. open moving shots from shot creators? Or comparing the effectiveness of both from SC perspective?

If comparing sharps and SC, my SC's shooting has been just as consistent as sharps all year throughout every update. Don't know what to say lol. I'd say 9/10 games i'll go like 17/21 FG (yes bad teams), with the occasional bad game happening randomly with no change in strategy.

There's slightly more greens for open sharps imo, but SC still gets plenty of them. I just learned to trigger and green the 3 quickest moving shot animations. One for pull-ups, one for moving left, and one for right. White bars continue to go in at the same rate for me as long as i'm open.

If comparing standing & moving within SC archetype, I think you have to establish your archetypes game early. I noticed this with other archetypes like slashers. I would start the games hot via moving shots, but then i'd miss very makable layups and dunks once I decided to get in.
Mine was as well until these last two tweaks, which completely demolished white bar shot percentage. That's when I noticed that I was getting an absurd amount of missed shots on the move vs standing shots.

When you're speaking of your FG%, how often are you driving and scoring on fast breaks vs actually using your moving/standing shots? And I'm talking your entire moving shot arsenal.

Last edited by Caelumfang; 05-25-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:31 PM   #40
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelumfang
Mine was as well until these last two tweaks, which completely demolished white bar shot percentage. That's when I noticed that I was getting an absurd amount of missed shots on the move vs standing shots.

When you're speaking of your FG%, how often are you driving and scoring on fast breaks vs actually using your moving/standing shots? And I'm talking your entire moving shot arsenal.
Hmm, personally I never take standing shots unless it's a catch and shoot in the corner. In most other catch & shoot situations I can usually take a quick turbo dribble and then trigger a quick fade animation before any closeout or contest happens.

My shot creator is a pg so I avoid finishing inside on fastbreaks to avoid the inevitable chasedown blocks. If I have to go inside i'll try to trigger the quickest dunk animation or a floater.

I'd say moving shots are still the most effective for me in every situation so unless I can't trigger an animation i feel comfortable potentially greening, i'll take another route. Maybe like 80% of my shots are moving regardless of situation. I prefer short jumpers over slow layups/dunks lol.

Are you triggering super slow moving animations? I noticed that even when completely wide open and full white bar these things miss more often than not. I think some (most?) of the animations are broken but I found my niche animations with normal 4 package.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »