Home

Can we get more realistic sim shooting stats?

This is a discussion on Can we get more realistic sim shooting stats? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #9
Rookie

iFnotWhyNoT's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Can we get more realistic sim shooting stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAWereWolf65
When Marcus Smart shoots 42% from the three point line during the same season where Kevin Durant only shoots 31%, I think it's time for 2k to do a little bit of tweaking on how Sim shooting stats work. Maybe something like this would happen in an alternate universe, but I don't ever see it happening in the actual NBA lol
I don't understand I need more context. Is this for a PNO game? A MyGM/MyLeague seasons?

I ask because if this for franchise seasons, my Marcus Smart didn't jump that high after one season. Which is obvious there are different variables at play, it will be hard for my players to progress in the same way yours did. So I don't understand how that alone can make you believe there is a major flaw in system. Are there more people? Did you simulate past that season to see if he dropped back to his "rating" norm?

Last edited by iFnotWhyNoT; 05-24-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #10
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAWereWolf65
Lots of big men have added jump shots throughout their career, but when you attempt over 4 threes a game for your whole career coming off the bench, it's a different story. Enes Kanter shot 47.6% from three last year. Does that make him the best shooter in the nba? Hell no. He only attempted 0.3 threes a game.

Attempting 4+ threes and only shooting 29%, and then going into the very next season and take 4+ threes a game and shoot 42% (Better than steph curry shot from three this year!) is almost unheard of.

Gasol attempted 66 threes in eight years and shot 18%. You do realize that Marcus Smart is statistically the worst shooter in the history of the entire NBA for a player who has attempted over 800 threes...

So Gasol suddenly becoming elite spot up 3pt shooter from a non-existent 3pt threat is something you wouldn't mind seeing in MyLeague? But Smart becoming good 3pt shooter is something that you mind seeing in MyLeague?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #11
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFnotWhyNoT
I don't understand I need more context. Is this for a PNO game? A MyGM/MyLeague seasons?

I ask because if this for franchise seasons, my Marcus Smart didn't jump that high after one season. Which is obvious there are different variables at play, it will be hard for my players to progress in the same way yours did. So I don't understand how that alone can make you believe there is a major flaw in system. Are there more people? Did you simulate past that season to see if he dropped back to his "rating" norm?
It was over the course of multiple seasons, he inched up to the low 30s and then randomly shot up to 42%. I'm still in the playoffs so I don't know what he'll shoot next season, But like I said before, It happened with Kevin Durant too. It happens with a lot of players actually. Go through and just sim a quick season and see how far off some players shooting stats are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KB24
So Gasol suddenly becoming elite spot up 3pt shooter from a non-existent 3pt threat is something you wouldn't mind seeing in MyLeague? But Smart becoming good 3pt shooter is something that you mind seeing in MyLeague?
No, But Gasol's situation is nothing like Smart's. I don't think you understand that a player doesn't go from being statistically wise the worst shooter in NBA history to a 42% three point shooter in one season. You do realize how elite 42% is right? Like I said before, Steph Curry didn't even shoot 42% this year.

C.J. McCollum and J.J. Redick shot 42% from three this year. How are you gonna try and tell me that it's completely normal for a player who is statistically the worst shooter ever to turn into J.J. Redick, let alone after only one off season?

Gasol is nearly a 37% three point shooter. Smart is a 29%. Just because Gasol didn't start taking a lot of threes until last year, doesn't mean he couldn't shoot threes. There are plenty of guys who just don't shoot threes even though they can. I don't think the case was that he couldn't shoot earlier in his career, I just don't think he did it as much. Why would he? He was a dominant post player and that's what his team needed him to be at the time. Not stepping outside and chucking up threes when it probably wasn't his strong suit at the time. Of course he's improved from the beginning of his career until now, But I don't think the improvement was as huge as the stats make it seem since he only attempted 66 threes in his first 8 years.

Sorry for rambling on but I hope this made sense. I'm not saying that players shouldn't improve throughout their career, But Id like players stats to match their attributes better.

In other words, let's not focus on Pau Gasol and Marcus Smart's real life stats. Let's focus on the fact that he has a 69 Open three attribute and is shooting 42% from deep with it.

Last edited by VAWereWolf65; 05-24-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »