Home

2K18: Harder to pass into the Paint

This is a discussion on 2K18: Harder to pass into the Paint within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: 2K18: Harder to pass into the Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baebae32
How do you guys feel about adding the outcome of your player hesitating, basically second guessing a contested pass. This could be viewed as a safe guard that will help protect offensive users. But of course if you deciede to spam the pass button to force the pass then your player would throw it out of bounds or it would get deflected/intercepted. Just a thought
LOL the "player control" guys would flip. I tend to agree with them--to an extent (a tiny one)...let guys make the decisions they want...just make sure there are consequences as well as benefits. But I hear you...passes into tight windows from guys who don't possess the skillset is frustrating.

A few other things that needs addressing now that we know 2K17 is in its final state:

http://spgmg.blogspot.com/2017/05/fi...play-2k17.html

Last edited by Kushmir; 05-29-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:58 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 3

Passes that have a defender in the way should reflect that by having low or high contact catches. Also passes that are forced into high traffic should be errant or go out of bounds because of contact.

And another thing, defenders should be able to go from behind, to 3/4, to front much, much quicker on poor post players who post up.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
Passes that have a defender in the way should reflect that by having low or high contact catches. Also passes that are forced into high traffic should be errant or go out of bounds because of contact.

And another thing, defenders should be able to go from behind, to 3/4, to front much, much quicker on poor post players who post up.
100% agree here on both points you made. especially more errant passes into traffic. Like so:

let's not take the catch for granted either. isnt the pass into traffic a great opportunity to see "bobble" and "difficult catch" animations

I'd really like to see guys get post position based on post control...lets see defenders fight to take position away, yknow? So a guy with low ratings might have a 1 second window for an entry pass before a solid post defender takes it away. The every-size-fits-all back-down shouldn't apply to guys with low post control either...strength has to matter.

Last edited by Kushmir; 05-29-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Playing versus the triangle with the games inability to guard simple off ball cuts is the worst.

You spend all day manually hedging a big to prevent paint pass layups.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 05-29-2017, 02:50 PM   #13
Banned

Housh123's Arena

OVR: 0

Great idea and I do love it.

But this is one of those things that the trash 2k community would exploit. So if it's harder to pass me the ball in the post I guarantee that dudes in the park would just stop doing it. This is a great addition to say HOF difficulty for MyGM but in Pro Am and Park.....heck no

I can see it now. Dudes trying to outrun double teams because passing to the post is too hard and they telling me they didn't pass to me because I wasn't open enough or some BS

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #14
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataman5
Passing needs to be rebuilt and divide in more attributes in order to really see the difference between best/good/mediocre/bad/worst passers in the league.

Passing from the post, standing pass, and pass on the move needs to be a thing. So post scorers would get their pass from post up but wouldn't be able to pass from anywhere else. Kinds how Pau Gasol is a great passing big man in the post but it's not like he's a PG running pick and rolls from the top or anything

Old 05-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #15
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Im all for ANYTHING that gradually teaches players how to play a more sim style of basketball. I don't run park a lot anymore because theres so many bum kids who just want to dribble out shot clocks trying to score, even tho they have playmakers.

So if refining passing helps that even slightly im down as long as the changes aren't super easy to exploit.

Sorry for multiple posts

Last edited by Housh123; 05-29-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #16
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh123
Great idea and I do love it.

But this is one of those things that the trash 2k community would exploit. So if it's harder to pass me the ball in the post I guarantee that dudes in the park would just stop doing it. This is a great addition to say HOF difficulty for MyGM but in Pro Am and Park.....heck no

I can see it now. Dudes trying to outrun double teams because passing to the post is too hard and they telling me they didn't pass to me because I wasn't open enough or some BS

Sometimes I hate the game having to be balanced for 3 modes. I'm strictly PNO. But isn't 2K a better game when not just anyone can post-up? (and even then its based on matchup) The other side of that is that steals and blocks have to be much more timing based. Right now both have too wide a window for success and tiny window for failure. So when a guy goes for as pump fake or mistimes his block this is what will happen:

The reality is the last 5 years the NBA's best shot blocker and ball thief give you about 2 of each per game. 2K games (5 min quarters) are a scaled down version of NBA games...you can multiply 2K stats by 2.4 for their real-world equivalent. So two blocks is actually almost like 6...which is why the foul outcomes have to go way up. Imagine if Westbrook was scoring his real average (30ppg) in 5 min quarters...we'd know defense was beyond broken and offense was OP.

Challenging shots should be the norm to avoid fouls. Its situation based of course, but GENERALLY going for a Steal or Block should have a much higher chance of a foul than success....just like they do in reality. especially blocks of the out-of position and chase-down variety.

The majority of out-of-position blocks should be whistled. Especially when we're dealing with non-shot-blockers.

Wouldn't those changes do a good job of making post play relevant again?

Last edited by Kushmir; 05-29-2017 at 03:39 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »